Need a guidance about mobile robot implemtation

  • Alaa Abdulrasool
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2014

      Hi all,

      I am working on design a mobile robot that should navigate from its initial point to goal point without collision with any obstacles dependent on the Artificial Potential Field algorithm , from my a little bit knowledge , that I will need these components below, please correct to me if there is any additional or shortage components :

      1- Two servo-motors (which had encoders) one per axis to determine heading angle and coordinate x-y of mobile robot .
      actually this component is the main one should I get , but if there is a specific type you could advise me to buy it , please need your help in this.

      2- Five ultrasonic sensors to detect obstacles .

      3- H-BRIDGE (Motor Drive Shield) for servo-motors : actually I don't know if I need this component or not but I see many tutorial use these when it has two normal DC motor to control . need your help

      4- Arduino UNO kit

      5- Batteries : actually also I don't know which type that my work required (4x AA or 6x AA ... etc.)

      6- Two capacitors one per servo-motor to help reduce RF noise .

      7- Breadboard

      8- Wires and cables for connections

      Any help or ideas you offer would be highly appreciated.

      Many thanks.

    • David Buckley
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2014
        Alaa
        Probably a good place to start is to get familiar with the parts you are going to need.
        I recommend you read and understand the following
        and
        The latter is the documentation for an Ultrasonic Ranger, which are you going to use?
        Devantech SRF05, Parallax Ping, Chinese HC-SR04, or other?
        In the Parallax pdf you will see that commonly called Servo-motors or RC-servos or just Servos are not the same as Servo-motors you might have been told about in school. If you use RC-servos as are talked about in the Parallax pdf rather than simple DC- motors it will make your project a lot easier.
        DAvid

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2014

          Dear Daivd

          Many thanks to you , i read the links but i still confused in which type of motor should i choose to work .

          The sonsor that i will use is HC-SR

          many thanks

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2014
            I think navigating using an Artificial Potential Field algorithm is a fine
            long-term goal. I've written such algorithms and they give rise to very
            convincing navigation - it really looks like the robot knows where it's
            going. It has a sense of purpose and makes sensible decisions.

            However, it requires that the robot builds a map of its environment (or is
            given one) and locates itself on that map.

            The Potential Field algorithms I've written were in games and in games you
            know everything. So mapping and location are easy. For instance I've written
            "robot-wars" style combat algorithms and the robots are very good at
            avoiding the obstacles, and closing with the enemy while avoiding the
            enemy's weapons. Potential Field algorithms are good - no doubt about it in
            my mind.

            But mapping and locating with a real robot in the real world is a very hard
            thing to do. I doubt if an UNO is capable.

            With the kit you have got, your robot will be able to move around and avoid
            obstacles. That's a good place to start.

            The robot will then need some way of knowing where it is relative to its
            goal. If the robot knows the goal is to the north then it can head north
            while avoiding obstacles.

            But, of course it will then get trapped in in dead-ends that head in the
            right direction. There are various random-walk algorithms that will
            eventually get out of dead ends but, as you know, an Artificial Potential
            Field algorithm gets the right answer from the start.

            If it were me, I'd start with what you've got and get the buggy running
            around avoiding obstacles. Next, give it some sort of navigation sensors
            (odometry, compass, inertial module, etc.) and give it a comms-link back to
            a PC (I'd use bluetooth - it's easy). Then do all the really hard navigation
            stuff on the PC - map-building, self-locating, etc. Debugging complex
            algorithms is much, much easier on a PC.

            Finally, when you know how to do the Potential Field algorithm, transfer the
            code into a big embedded computer such as a Raspberry Pi. But I suspect that
            would be at least a year away.

            So get a simple object-avoider working then pass the data back to a PC and
            look at what the robot is seeing through its own sensors. My experience is
            that you can watch your robot behaving and think "why is it behaving so
            stupidly? - my program is better than that". Then you watch the live
            sensor-data stream the robot is receiving and you realise what a distorted
            view of the world the robot has.

            Peter
          • David Buckley
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3, 2014

              Alaa
              Did you read and understand the pdf then?
              Explain to me how you drive the continuous rotation 'servos' talked about in the Parallax pdf.
              Also explain to me how you drive ordinary dc motors.

              The HC-SR04 is very cheap but it has a severe limitation which nobody seems to know about and hence they have trouble using them.
              The HC-SR04 works fine, I have used a lot of them.
              Read my comments on
              and
              Then explain to me what the problem is and how it is solved.
              DAvid

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 5, 2014
[...]

                Dear Peter thanks a lot for reply , practical work that I want to do for the Artificial potential field method is just a simple test for the method , so in real world what I really need to get or actually Artificial potential field  method need to get is current position of mobile robot and position of goal as x , y coordinate and the obstacles positions , actual the last thing is very easy to get by ultrasonic sensors , the tough thing is the robot position , actually I find that it is possible to get robot positionby using generated pulses from the encoders in the wheels employed that in a specific formula . but actually I didn’t reach yet how to do that in details  .
                Dear in real work I will consider that robot started from (0,0 ) (which also could be considered the origin ) and started from there I could determine the position of goal (Xgoal,Ygoal) and that coordinate will feed in the Artificial potential field , correct me if there is something wrong .

                Alaa
                Did you read and understand the pdf then?
                Explain to me how you drive the continuous rotation 'servos' talked about in the Parallax pdf.
                Also explain to me how you drive ordinary dc motors.

                The HC-SR04 is very cheap but it has a severe limitation which nobody seems to know about and hence they have trouble using them.
                The HC-SR04 works fine, I have used a lot of them.
                Read my comments on
                and
                Then explain to me what the problem is and how it is solved.
                David

                Dear David thanks a lot for reply, what I got that the normal servo motor could be modified mechanically to work continually as ordinary dc motors works . Now I bought Rover 5 with two normal DC motors and two encoders (incremental rotary encoder) per each wheel  , each encoder has four wires I didn’t know how to deal with them yet, and who could I translate the pulses of encoders .
                I am still searching for ….

                Many thanks

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 5, 2014

                  Alaa
                  I don't think you really appreciate just how much you are going to have to learn and how much experimentation you are going to have to do to get the hardware and software to work before you can even think of applying any Potential Field Algorithm
                  In real life, mobile robots don't behave as simulations do.
                  Just getting your robot to drive forwards, backwards, and to turn right and left is going to be challenging.
                  Reading the shaft encoders and working out how far the wheels have turned so you can calculate the new robot position will be a second major challenge.
                  Building a map from Ultrasonic data will be a third challenge.
                  From what you have said so far I will be surprisedif you can do this in less than six months very very VERY hard work.
                  Just saying.
                  Personally I think you are intending to do it the wrong way, at least the hard way.

                  Step 1 you need to ,learn how to program the Arduino Uno.
                  Step 2 you need to learn how to connect a motor and using software get it to turn each way and stop/start. This includes learning about power supply to the Uno and power supply to the motors.
                  Step 3, learn how to control the speed of a motor.
                  Step 4, learn how to read a shaft encoder
                  Step 4, learn how to make a motor turn a given number of revolutions and stop
                  Step 5, lean how to do step 4 for any given motor speed.
                  Step 6, learn how to do step 5 for two motors at once.
                  Step 7, learn how to work out the x.y position of your robot based on the shaft encoder data.
                  Step 8, learn how to get reliable data from the Ultrasonic sensors.
                  Step 9 learn how to build a map from that data.
                  Step 10, learn how to drive the motors, read theshaft encoders, read the sensors and do the calculations - ALL AT THE SAME TIME.
                  Along the way you probably need to learn how to solder and to understand basic electrics and electronics.

                  Had you decided to use continuous rotation servos, used a compass to determine the heading, accepted at least 20% error in your robot's x,y position and 10% error in heading, implement a reactive controller based on Ultrasonic data meanwhile heading to the goal I think you just might have managed to do it.

                  DAvid