Support EduCopter (How I started up with KickStarter.com crowdfunding)

  • Caesar Samsi
    Message 1 of 55 , Jul 23, 2014
      OK, I have an idea for a startup, now what? For me I was initially skeptical about KickStarter crowd funding not understanding how it works. I thought it would be a difficult process. Naturally, I invested my own time and funds to start for the fun of it. At some point in time I realized that the project was a natural fit for crowd funding. The creates IP targeting the educational community (students, high school age, teachers, instructors).

      I did it and it was easy, simple, almost effortless. Here is my story, though EduCopter is not funded yet.

      Take a look at my project here (SUPPORT EDUCOPTER, OMG only 25 days left) :-) as an example: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1202417897/educopter-for-students

      I always intended for the IP to be publicly available so anyone can benefit from the IP (it's a technology workshop). What a good way to contribute and be supported by the community via crowd funding?

      Hesitantly, went to http://http://kickstarter.com and created a new project, named it, and found the site very easy to use.

      Provide a summary of the project, the amount of funding sought, a description of the projects, contact information, and bank information.

      You also have to sign up with Amazon payments (from your project's page), it wants to create an account specifically for KickStarter's funding payment.

      The site provides great tips on writing the summary, description, photos, videos, etc. examples are provided there. I started with a fairly short summary and expanded on it the next day. It's really a simple short essay, what I want to make/do, benefits of the project, very rough estimate on schedule.

      I uploaded a picture of a prototype, you can do a quick video (just use your cell-hone) showing what you've done, talk about the project, etc.). It helps to get the message across.

      Once all the account information are verified, your project is visible and up for funding.

      Tips:
      1. Create the Amazon Payment account earlier than later, worst case, it could take a week. Mine took just a few hours. Without the account, they can't deposit the funding, so you really want to this early :-)
      2. Upload a scanned PDF bank statement instead of faxing it in (the instructions say to fax it in, but I found a gem of a button to upload a PDF doc). This sped up the account verification.
      3. Get your connections to provide feedback, the site provides a "Review Site" link to share.
      4. Pick a long funding period (I sort of regret to set my funding period at 30 days), 60 days or more. It takes time for momentum to build for a project. If the project doesn't get the funding by the end of the period, the project doesn't get funded :-(
      5. Once you're ready, hit "Publish" button
      6..Promote the project. In addition to posting on friends, family, colleague pages, I signed up for a promotion campaign service. It was a affordable for a $100.- service that creates a press release, tweets, facebooks, etc. for the project. MyGigs.com is what I used, I love their press release messaging.
      7. For any question you receive, respond in the FAQ section of the project site. It's a great way to clear up misconception or misunderstandings.

      Please feel free to post questions!

      Caesar.
    • robotMaker
      Message 55 of 55 , Aug 7, 2014
        Well put, and for sure it will generate heat, I have my laser thermometer ready, and find out how much.

        Cesar

        Subject: Re: [SeattleRobotics] Hack a servo to make a linear servo
        To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wednesday, August 6, 2014, 8:11 PM

        And just like a BJT operating in the
        linear region, it will generate heat!

        Ed

        > Like a transistor amplifier, the Vcc is the prime mover
        in the torque
        > amplifier. Therefore as an example, 1 oz/in in one
        second at the input
        > would yield 10 oz/in in one second at the output. But
        in real life if this
        > amplifier could do this, it would be common knowledge
        by now, since it's
        > been around for a long time. As you said, this
        amplifier it's just a

        wrote:

        >  Subject: Re: [SeattleRobotics] Hack a servo to
        make a linear servo
        >  To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
        >  Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2014, 3:43 PM
        >

        >  ?

        >  Cesar
        >  >The
        >  torque-amplifier has an output that could be a
        shaft, that
        >  could be linked >
        >  to the worm gear "worm", and the real output
        would
        http://www.meccano.us/differential_analyzers/robinson_da/index.html
        http://www.meccano.us/differential_analyzers/robinson_da/torque_amp.html

        >  ?
        >  ?
        >  ?

        [SeattleRobotics]

        for
        >  me. I might as well build one
        >    and try it out, to get the understanding
        and get rid of
        >  the diversion, of
        >    course, so that I can then go back and
        finish my bots.
        >  Maybe someday the
        >    understanding of the torque-amplifier
        might come in

        wrote:

        >  Subject: Re:
        >    [SeattleRobotics] Hack a servo to make a
        linear servo
        >  To:
        >    SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
        >  Date: Monday, August 4, 2014, 9:55
        >    PM
        >

        >  ?

        >    don't
        >  understand?what you mean by worm gears
        >  on the output shaft
        >    and I can't see how that might work
        >  at all. Yes the
        >
        >  torque/amplifier/capstan only pulls, that is why
        there are
        >  two drums
        >    working in
        >  opposite directions in the models on Youtube.
        >  ?
        >  As
        >    far as I can make out
        >  the Torque Amplifier
        >  construction description on
        >    Wikipedia is hopelessly wrong
        >
        >  and seems to be a
        >  mixture of the

        >    descriptions of two different devices one
        of
        >  which involves cams
        >  and
        >    followers. Maybe the cams and followers
        were in a
        >  different part of the
        >
        >  Differential Analyser in which the Torque
        Amplifier was
        http://athena.union.edu/~hemmendd/Encyc/Articles/Difanal/difanal.html

        http://internationalmeccanomen.org.uk/MMB/MandM/TorqueAmpifier/torqueamplifier.html
        http://internationalmeccanomen.org.uk/MMB/MandM/DiffAnalyser/diffanalyser.html
        >  ?
        >  An
        >    interesting diversion
        >  but of limited use for
        >  robotics I
        >    think.
        >  DAvid
        >  ?

        robotmeiker@...
        [SeattleRobotics]

        wrote:
        >  Subject: Re:
        >
        >  [SeattleRobotics] Hack a servo to make a linear
        servo

        SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
        >  Date: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 3:55 PM
        >

        >  Cesar
        >  My reply was about a Capstan which is what we
        were talking

        >  about,?
        >  >when the tension is released the capstan
        locks in

        >  place.
        >  I know how worm gears work. For a capstan to lock
        in
        >    place
        >  there
        >  needs to be another device to do the locking and
        as I

        robotmeiker@...

        http://www.pololu.com/product/73

        david@...

        >  [SeattleRobotics]
        >    SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
        >  wrote:
        >  Re:
        >    [SeattleRobotics] Hack a servo to make a
        linear servo

        SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
        >  Date: Friday, August 1, 2014,
        >  2:18

        >  But then you need to unlock it for motion the
        other way so

        robotmeiker@...
        >  [SeattleRobotics]

        SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
        >  Sent: Friday,
        >  August
        >  01, 2014
        >    7:33
        >
        >  PM
        >  Subject: Re:
        >  [SeattleRobotics] Hack a servo to make a
        >    linear
        >  servo Thanks for the input. I understand how the
        >
        >    torque
        >  amplifier works, but I
        >  just could not see what mechanical
        >
        >    factors are the ones
        >  that establish the
        >  gain. I guess that it's all
        >    coming from the prime
        >  mover. I thought that it
        >  might help the original
        >    poster on this list, regarding his
        >  Dalek bot. I see
        >  the truth that it
        >
        >  would get
        >
        >  got if the load is held stationary for too
        >  long, the same
        >    as our human muscles would when holding a
        >  load stationary. I
        >  have
        >    considered using capstans for moving the
        limbs on my
        >  bot design, but I

        >  considered that the friction would only be
        present when

        david@...
        >    [SeattleRobotics]
        >
        >  <SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com>
        >    wrote:
        >  Subject: Re:
        >  [SeattleRobotics] Hack a servo to make a linear
        >    servo

        SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
        >  Date: Thursday, July
        >    31, 2014, 8:45
        >
        >  PM
        >  Those double capstan torque amplifiers can only
        >
        >    hold the
        >  position of
        >  a load by accumulation of sliding friction due
        >    the
        >  number of turns of the
        >  rope/band. Which means the assembly
        >  will
        >    get hot if the load is
        >  appreciable. Capstans are normally operated so
        the

        peterbalch@...

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzVQp_hp8cE
        >  >

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9imJNoidtQ
        Interesting

        >  videos. Of
        >    course, that
        >  design of torque amp isn't so
        >  useful in a robot as you
        >    have to have a
        >  continuous source of rotation - a single
        >    prime-mover.
        >  Maybe a
        >  gasoline-engine-powered walking robot could use
        >
        >    them.
        >  You'd think it would
        >  have been used in
        >  steam-shovels or
        >    steam-cranes but I've never seen one
        >  there. Shovels and
        >  cranes just
        >    seem to use clutches. Perhaps torque amps
        >
        >  are very
        >  inefficient. Or
        >    the torque gain isn't high enough. Might
        >  be good
        >  for the joints of a
        >
        >    steampunk iron-mansuit
        >  though!