Need help with servo-motors

  • Alaa Abdulrasool
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 22 11:59 AM
      I have built my robot with two servo-motors (with encoders) and ultrasonic sensors , the mobile robot should navigate from its initial point to goal point without collide with any obstacles dependent on the Artificial Potential Field algorithm , I want to find new xy coordinate point of moving robot , In this I am using two servo-motors (with encoders) , one per axis  , it gave me pluses , from this what is the best way to find angle and coordinate xy of mobile robot from these pluses, even though there will be error and inaccurate result , it is ok for me .

      I would be very much appreciate any help.

      thanks

    • James Fitzsimons
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 23 3:14 AM
        Hi,

        It sounds like you want to implement dead reckoning and odometry which is something I am also working on at the moment. I suggest you read the following resources as a starting point:

        Larry Barello's paper on PID and motion control:

        David P. Anderson's PID, and Odometry and dead reckoning

        That should get you started - good luck!

        Cheers,
        James Fitzsimons

        On 23 July 2014 06:59, Alaa Abdulrasool alaarasol16@... [SeattleRobotics] <SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        I have built my robot with two servo-motors (with encoders) and ultrasonic sensors , the mobile robot should navigate from its initial point to goal point without collide with any obstacles dependent on the Artificial Potential Field algorithm , I want to find new xy coordinate point of moving robot , In this I am using two servo-motors (with encoders) , one per axis  , it gave me pluses , from this what is the best way to find angle and coordinate xy of mobile robot from these pluses, even though there will be error and inaccurate result , it is ok for me .

        I would be very much appreciate any help.

        thanks

      • robotMaker
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 23 11:19 AM
          Your robot is a tabletop bot? It has two three inch wheels and one small idler wheel?

          Cesar

          Subject: [SeattleRobotics] Need help with servo-motors
          To: "SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com" <SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 23 6:38 PM
            Your robot is a tabletop bot? It has two three inch wheels and one small idler wheel?

            Cesar

            Dear Mr. Cesar
                Many thanks to you

            Hi,

            It sounds like you want to implement dead reckoning and odometry which is something I am also working on at the moment. I suggest you read the following resources as a starting point:

            Larry Barello's paper on PID and motion control:

            David P. Anderson's PID, and Odometry and dead reckoning

            That should get you started - good luck!

            Cheers,
            James Fitzsimons

            Dear Mr. James

              Many thanks to you , I will check these links it seems really useful .

            Dears All

              Simply, I just want design a differential drive robot with two servo-motors (with encoders) , one per axis that could navigate from its initial point to goal point without collide with any obstacles dependent on the Artificial Potential Field algorithm , but I have faced two problems :

              First , which encoder should  i got to calculate the position (coordinate x y) and orientation (angle ) of mobile robot ,because as you know there is many types of encoders (incremental , absolute ,…etc.) , I read about each one in the websites but I still confused which one will be the desired for my problem .

               Second , after I got the desired encoders with servo motor , how I could calculate or translate the pules the generated by encoder which mounted to motor to the corresponding position and orientation .

            Many thanks

          • Alaa Abdulrasool
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 25 5:18 PM
              Dears All

[...]