Would you make use of a shared workshop?

  • Caesar Samsi
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16, 2014
      Hi,

      I'm exploring an idea of creating a workshop equipped with tools to share with everybody.

      It's similar to "Paint the Town" at Redmond where customers come in to paint a pottery item (mugs, plates, etc.) and take the item home.

      The workshop would have robotics parts and tools (such as a 3D printer I researched earlier about, solder, computer to program), create their robot and take them home (purchase a kit and build a robot).

      It would work for the Do It Yourselvers as well, with their own parts that need a workshop and tools to work with (sharing the workshop).

      A simple rent charge for the day, or hourly rent would work

      It would be fun place to take kids, friends, and work together for a weekend.

      For DIY, no need to purchase your own tools or clutter your dining room for weeks. We share the tools and space.

      Would you make use of it?

      As an example, in California, there are car garage workshops available to build your own custom cars using shared space & tools.

      Thanks, Caesar.
    • Max Cato
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16, 2014
        Oh, you mean like MakerHaus, in Fremont? :) They're more generalized that what you're after; they are about just being "maker" as opposed to focusing on robots, specifically.

        I think your idea could work. Although, would you have lathes, milling machines, welders, etc, in the shop as well? If you don't, then it limits your customers to only building kit robots, and if they're building kit robots, you're going to have to ask yourself, "What value do I provide that can't be bought off of Amazon?" After all, soldering irons, screw drivers, and wrenches aren't terribly expensive.

        The 3D printer is a good value add! You may also want to look into leasing one or several of the high-end models (Stratsys) if you need to be able to make lots of prints every day. The homebrew printers are great, but in a commercial situation, I'm a little concerned that you might have to spend all of your time tweaking or fixing them, and this takes away from the focus of your business.

        Offering classes, demonstrations, and competitions for kids would be another good way to attract business. Also, if you do this, you may want to get your business involved with FIRST robotics competition (maybe sponsor a team or two?)

        Max

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 16, 2014
          Or more like http://www.metrixcreatespace.com/ on Capitol Hill?

          --
          James Moore
          james@...

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 16, 2014
              there is also Makerspace on Broadway and I would love to use the facilities if I had the money to use them..... the only thing I could offer is help to others in exchange for small parts

              Shaylee,  Dalek Builder and soon to be Seattle Overlord

              Do you hear the Whisper Men? The Whisper Men are near.
              If you hear the Whisper Men then turn away your ear.
              Do not hear the Whisper Men, whatever else you do.
              For once you've heard the Whisper Men they'll stop. And look at you

              Wonder-wench Spermologer

              (not what you think... look it up)

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 17, 2014
                I like the idea. Especially if it's located on the Eastside. I've been waiting for a Level 1 workshop to start, but it's been almost 2 years.......