Re: [SeattleRobotics] A New Indoor Game

  • kevinr
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 7, 2013
      I think obtaining ten measurements of IR at spaced frequencies through the various chemical "signature" areas would be sufficient.  A stage or two of signal conditioning after each frequency's sensor could be used to feed a neural net "recognizer".  This would "decide" which scent is stronger at any given time.  I don't think this is being done at the present but any interesting problem is hard to solve.  I think of this as a challenge.  I would like to apply the techniques learned to allow me to do the same measurements in a forest.  The many terpenes present could be measured to provide an analysis of the health of the trees.
          Kevin.

      On 10/7/2013 5:00 PM, kevinr wrote:

      Any standard spectroscopy text book would do fine.
          KD5ONS

      On 10/7/2013 4:53 PM, KM6VV wrote:

      Determine scents with IR? How is that? Do you have a reference?

      Alan KM6VV

      On 10/7/2013 3:55 PM, kevinr wrote:

      > I have been thinking of how to discern scents. With an IR spectroscope
      > I can determine vanilla, lavender, and cinnamon. Other scents may have
      > more easily determined IR spectra but these will smell OK while you run
      > the event. You could have a scent at each site or you could make trails
      > of each scent to get to a goal. This way you could test your ability
      > to determine a number of IR frequencies at once.
      > Kevin.

    • KM6VV
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 8, 2013
        You're saying that various scents generate IR? Hadn't heard of that.
        So would you have to heat the samples to analyze them?

        Alan KM6VV