Re: [SeattleRobotics] A New Indoor Game

  • kevinr
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 7, 2013
      Any standard spectroscopy text book would do fine.
          KD5ONS

      On 10/7/2013 4:53 PM, KM6VV wrote:

      Determine scents with IR? How is that? Do you have a reference?

      Alan KM6VV

      On 10/7/2013 3:55 PM, kevinr wrote:

      > I have been thinking of how to discern scents. With an IR spectroscope
      > I can determine vanilla, lavender, and cinnamon. Other scents may have
      > more easily determined IR spectra but these will smell OK while you run
      > the event. You could have a scent at each site or you could make trails
      > of each scent to get to a goal. This way you could test your ability
      > to determine a number of IR frequencies at once.
      > Kevin.

    • kevinr
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 7, 2013
        I think obtaining ten measurements of IR at spaced frequencies through the various chemical "signature" areas would be sufficient.  A stage or two of signal conditioning after each frequency's sensor could be used to feed a neural net "recognizer".  This would "decide" which scent is stronger at any given time.  I don't think this is being done at the present but any interesting problem is hard to solve.  I think of this as a challenge.  I would like to apply the techniques learned to allow me to do the same measurements in a forest.  The many terpenes present could be measured to provide an analysis of the health of the trees.
            Kevin.

        On 10/7/2013 5:00 PM, kevinr wrote:

        Any standard spectroscopy text book would do fine.
            KD5ONS

        On 10/7/2013 4:53 PM, KM6VV wrote:

        Determine scents with IR? How is that? Do you have a reference?

        Alan KM6VV

        On 10/7/2013 3:55 PM, kevinr wrote:

        > I have been thinking of how to discern scents. With an IR spectroscope
        > I can determine vanilla, lavender, and cinnamon. Other scents may have
        > more easily determined IR spectra but these will smell OK while you run
        > the event. You could have a scent at each site or you could make trails
        > of each scent to get to a goal. This way you could test your ability
        > to determine a number of IR frequencies at once.
        > Kevin.

      • KM6VV
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 7, 2013
          Sounds a little bit deep for my dumb 'bots!

          I'd be more inclined to use modulated IR beacons around a room.

          Alan KM6VV

          On 10/7/2013 5:00 PM, kevinr wrote:

          > Any standard spectroscopy text book would do fine.
          > KD5ONS
          >
          > On 10/7/2013 4:53 PM, KM6VV wrote:
          >>
          >> Determine scents with IR? How is that? Do you have a reference?
          >>
          >> Alan KM6VV
          >>
          >> On 10/7/2013 3:55 PM, kevinr wrote:
          >> >

          >> > I have been thinking of how to discern scents. With an IR spectroscope
          >> > I can determine vanilla, lavender, and cinnamon. Other scents may have
          >> > more easily determined IR spectra but these will smell OK while you run
          >> > the event. You could have a scent at each site or you could make trails
          >> > of each scent to get to a goal. This way you could test your ability
          >> > to determine a number of IR frequencies at once.
          >> > Kevin.

        • KM6VV
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 8, 2013
            You're saying that various scents generate IR? Hadn't heard of that.
            So would you have to heat the samples to analyze them?

            Alan KM6VV