RE: Re: [SeattleRobotics] LiPo fire. A cautionary tale.

  • dpa_io
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 16, 2013

       Thanks Pat.  Definitely looks promising.  I like this line from the LFP wiki:

      " It is commonly accepted that LiFePO4 battery does not decompose at high temperatures.The difference between LFP and the LiPo battery cells commonly used in the aeromodeling hobby is particularly notable."

      Recumbent trike sounds cool.  Any pics?

      Thanks for the link.

      dpa

      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, <seattlerobotics@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Whoa, sorry to hear about the fire, and thanks for the heads up!

      You might want to look at LFP (LiFePO4) batteries.

      I'll second the LiFe suggestion -- we use those on our hopefully-soon-to-be-autonomous recumbent trike.  The passenger or payload sits directly over the battery pack, and the battery pack is maybe 6 in off the ground, so at risk of getting bumped or even punctured (we need to enclose it better...).  We've been assured that LiFe are a safe option.

      Here's an update on the "laptop battery fire video":
      Yeesh.

      -- Pat