announce: TA3M-Seattle

  • Blibbet
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2013

      I hope this is not too off-topic.

      We are looking for a speaker that can give a basic drone
      technology/politics talk, including domestic USGov use, NGO use, and
      personal use. :-)

      In a few weeks we'll have an announce mailing list setup, and the wiki
      will be updated with info on this mailing list, so there won't be any
      more spamming of this list after this message.

      Thanks, and I hope to see a few of you at the upcoming events!

      What: TA3M-Seattle #1
      When: 3rd Monday, Sep 16, 2013, 6:30-9:00pm
      Where: Black Coffee Coop, 501 E. Pine St; Seattle, WA 98122

      Welcome to the first TA3M-Seattle meeting!

      TA3M-Seattle (Techno-Activism, 3rd Mondays) is a monthly event for
      people that either work on or want to learn more about online
      surveillance and censorship, the open source tools that are used to
      combat it, and issues and initiatives associated with this area. The
      idea is to bring together software developers, activists, concerned
      citizens, and others, so we they can both educate each other, and share

      For more information about TA3M-Seattle, see the wiki:

      We are proud to have two excellent speakers lined up for our first event!

      6:30-7:00 (30m), pre-event networking
      7:00-7:10 (10m), welcome
      7:10-7:40 (30m), Jason Self, "The FSF, LibrePlanet, And GNU"
      7:40-7:55 (15m), break, networking
      7:55-9:00 (65m), Jerry Whiting, "Life Online Post-PRISM"

      The above schedule is estimated, unsure of exact length of guest
      speaker's presentations.

      Speaker 1:

      Jason Self, "The FSF, LibrePlanet, And GNU"

      Jason Self, a free software and free culture activist, will be giving a
      talk entitled "The FSF, LibrePlanet, And GNU". In this talk, Jason gives
      an introduction to the Free Software Foundation, their efforts for Free
      Society -- including it's anti-Surveillance campaign, their free
      software projects, including including GNU/Linux, their local
      LibrePlanet Washington State community, and some related upcoming events.

      Speaker 2:

      Jerry Whiting, "Life Online Post-PRISM: tiptoeing through cyberspace"

      If you've been awake and paying attention the last month you know that
      the National Security Agency among others has been eavesdropping,
      wiretapping, and invading our privacy for years. Jerry will review what
      the NSA can and can't do, as well as what the NSA does and doesn't do.

      More importantly he'll discuss what we as individuals can do in response
      including truly secure password hygiene, encryption and cryptography
      that actually works, Tor, the anonymizing network, and a new security
      model that assumes ever-present surveillance. A Tor relay will be
      configured and given away as well as flash drives and CDs full of tools
      and toys.

      Jerry Whiting engages in what he calls "political computing" providing
      assistance and guidance to activists, NGOs, and others. He has done
      encryption and cryptography for 15+ years, runs Tor relays, and lectures
      on related topics. Founder of Azalea Software, he served on Seattle's
      Citizens Telecommunications & Technology Advisory Board (CTTAB) for 4
      years and publishes JetCityOrange. Jerry has done presentations for
      #OccupySeattle, Seattle Mini Maker Faire, ToorCamp, and Ada Books. He
      works with elders of the Black Panther Party, the Tibetan diaspora, and
      others engaged in the struggle around the world.