Re: [SeattleRobotics] Re: Robomagellan rules question

  • KM6VV
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 5, 2013
      Maybe Robomagellan could be viewed as two two contests in one. One,
      steering to one or more goals (way-points) and navigating obstacles.
      Two, finding (detecting) and navigating to a defined object (cone). If
      your GPS is good enough, one might not need the vision, or vice-versa?

      What's more important, the vision or way-point navigation?
      Accomplishing both can be quite difficult (I'm still working on mine).
      Maybe a simpler "entry level" contests could do just the vision? Or
      just way-point navigation?

      I've pondered the best way to get way-points into my 'bot. Just driving
      the 'bot around the course and saving all the moves seems a little too
      much. But simply saving the way-points yourself with another GPS should
      be fine, it's just duplicating the creation of the way-point list.

      I want a hand held GPS that writes to an SD card. Or one might extract
      GPS coordinates from a Google-Earth map. How do the judges make up the
      way-point list?

      Alan KM6VV
      HBRobotics club.

      On 9/5/2013 8:26 AM, dpa_io wrote:

      > Hey Randy, not to be dis'ing jBot, it needs no "pre-walk" to run a Robomagellan course! Just the target waypoints. It figures out everything else by itself.
      >
      > However, from where I sit, "cheating" has not been so much a problem with RoboMagellan, as has been "participation." Over emphasis on the former seems to depress the later.
      >
      > dpa
      >
      > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Randy M. Dumse" <rmd@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I really don't know David. Here are two very similar cases, how can you say
      >> no them?
      >>

      >> 1.) I bring a robot with a handheld GPS. I leave the robot at the start,
      >> and walk the handheld CPS only on the course.
      >>
      >> 2.) I bring two GPS (let them both be handhelds, OR, two identical phones
      >> with GPS). I walk one phone/GPS. I leave the other on the robot back at the
      >> start. I transfer the information from one to the other. (Could be by
      >> exchanging MicroSD, or even by nearfield communications with nothing
      >> physical from the walk'd one to the sitting one.
      >>

      >> If you don't exclude using identical GPS equipment in both cases, what's the
      >> difference? And wasn't this the original idea , for example with JBot, where
      >> DPA was going to be able to detach his ETrax, and walk with it?
      >>

      >> Randy

    • Bob Cook
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 5, 2013
        On 2013-09-05, at 8:26 AM, "dpa_io" <davida@...> wrote:

        > Hey Randy, not to be dis'ing jBot, it needs no "pre-walk" to run a Robomagellan course! Just the target waypoints. It figures out everything else by itself.

        Awesome, I wish you were coming to Robothon, your robot is a fantastic creation and the envy of many. There are a few others who can accomplish the same feat, but very few.

        > However, from where I sit, "cheating" has not been so much a problem with RoboMagellan, as has been "participation." Over emphasis on the former seems to depress the later.

        Completely agree. I'd rather bend the rules to encourage more participation than worry about the "legalese". We need more people building roving robots.

        - Bob
      • Tony Mactutis
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 5, 2013
          Sounds good Bob, thanks -

          On 9/5/2013 6:26 AM, Bob Cook wrote:

          Hi Tony,

          I'm the judge for this year's Robo-Magellan event, so I guess I get to decide these things.  :)

          In the past we've allowed removable GPS units to be walked around the course during the 30 minute preparation phase. I'm fine with your cellphone also being walked around the course for the same reason.

          The game is intended to be a display of autonomous robots roaming and navigating in an outdoor environment. The spirit of the rules is to NOT pre-record your robot's movements step by step, although it makes sense to use some sort of waypoint system and have the robot autonomously navigate between waypoints.

          Its really on the honor system for each contestant to keep with this intention (e.g. I'm not going to inspect your cellphone or source code for signs of cheating).

          - Bob Cook

          On 2013-09-04, at 8:30 PM, Tony Mactutis <tony@...> wrote:

          Question: if my controller is a cellphone, can I carry the phone over the course during the 30-minute prep period, or would that be considered a violation of "the actual robot will not be allowed on the course".

          If that is true (that carrying the phone would not be allowed), then that would seem to imply that I would need 2 cellphones to do what I have in mind -

          thanks!

        • dpa_io
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 6, 2013
            Exactly. more robots! best luck with your competition.

            dpa