Re: Roomba Clone Progress

  • jamericanfreddy
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
      JEFF
      IF you need a LIDAR i sell them and i have well 30 left as of today

      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

      > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
      > > USING a laser line and camera is a old design
      > > KINECT camera uses the same design only little higher accuracy
      >
      > http://users.dickinson.edu/~jmac/selected-talks/kinect.pdf
      >
      > > Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it
      > > kinda work ok
      > >
      > > KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks
      > >
      > > 1 is large size
      > > 2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
      > > 3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
      > > 4 not omni-directional 360 pan
      >
      > Human vision is not omni-directional either and that
      > would be a great advantage in driving a car. It would
      > much easier to decide what to do next while driving
      > if you could view it all from above as in video games.
      >
      > > LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very
      > > low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is
      > > omni-directional 360 pan plus small size.
      >
      > And combined with radar will probably make the driverless
      > car a reality. It may even become illegal to drive the
      > car yourself for safety reasons.
      >
      > Essentially these systems bypass the logic that would
      > be required for human like visual data to determine
      > the distance of objects (surfaces).
      >
      > As I don't have a LIDAR handy I will have to do
      > without one for the time being.
      >
      > My current challenge is to change how I attach the
      > Roomba motors (the base is pulling to the left) and
      > find a suitable h-bridge circuit using the MOSFETS
      > I got on the weekend to replace the relay control
      > circuit.
      >
      > F9540N P-CHANNEL
      > IRF540 N-CHANNEL

    • jamericanfreddy
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
        360 PAN IS VERY USEFUL in navigation ,main reason can tell if a object is in back of the robot or on the sides

        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

        > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
        > > USING a laser line and camera is a old design
        > > KINECT camera uses the same design only little higher accuracy
        >
        > http://users.dickinson.edu/~jmac/selected-talks/kinect.pdf
        >
        > > Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it
        > > kinda work ok
        > >
        > > KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks
        > >
        > > 1 is large size
        > > 2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
        > > 3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
        > > 4 not omni-directional 360 pan
        >
        > Human vision is not omni-directional either and that
        > would be a great advantage in driving a car. It would
        > much easier to decide what to do next while driving
        > if you could view it all from above as in video games.
        >
        > > LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very
        > > low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is
        > > omni-directional 360 pan plus small size.
        >
        > And combined with radar will probably make the driverless
        > car a reality. It may even become illegal to drive the
        > car yourself for safety reasons.
        >
        > Essentially these systems bypass the logic that would
        > be required for human like visual data to determine
        > the distance of objects (surfaces).
        >
        > As I don't have a LIDAR handy I will have to do
        > without one for the time being.
        >
        > My current challenge is to change how I attach the
        > Roomba motors (the base is pulling to the left) and
        > find a suitable h-bridge circuit using the MOSFETS
        > I got on the weekend to replace the relay control
        > circuit.
        >
        > F9540N P-CHANNEL
        > IRF540 N-CHANNEL

      • jgkjcasey
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 22, 2013
          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" wrote:
          > KINECT is very cool i own 5 of them on using one on my
          > ROOMBA robot and have another on a roomba ROS ROBOT

          I notice Dave Shinsel's Loki now sports a KINECT which
          is apparently used instead of the web cams for locating
          objects.

          > ONE on my roomba design robot i am using ROBOREALM
          > software not shore if i am using one on my WHITE
          > BOX 914 PC BOT or might use one of my NEATO XV-11
          > LIDAR

          And what behaviors do you plan to implement with
          your Roomba robot using RoboRealm? I am thinking
          of giving RoboRealm another look even if I only
          use it to access the webcams. I have been using
          escapi.dll to experiment with visual programs.

          I have to work within my limitations when it comes
          to electronics and programming. Shinsel's robots for
          example requires above hobby level programming
          abilities "expect that you need good Visual Studio
          understanding to get it working." I am limited to
          low level programming languages such as Assembler,
          BASIC and C.

          I have dumped the attempt at using the Roomba motors
          and am back working on the old robot base although
          it is somewhat overpowered in the motor department.