Re: Roomba Clone Progress

  • jgkjcasey
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 19, 2013

      http://users.dickinson.edu/~jmac/selected-talks/kinect.pdf

      > Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it
      > kinda work ok
      >
      > KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks
      >
      > 1 is large size
      > 2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
      > 3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
      > 4 not omni-directional 360 pan

      Human vision is not omni-directional either and that
      would be a great advantage in driving a car. It would
      much easier to decide what to do next while driving
      if you could view it all from above as in video games.

      > LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very
      > low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is
      > omni-directional 360 pan plus small size.

      And combined with radar will probably make the driverless
      car a reality. It may even become illegal to drive the
      car yourself for safety reasons.

      Essentially these systems bypass the logic that would
      be required for human like visual data to determine
      the distance of objects (surfaces).

      As I don't have a LIDAR handy I will have to do
      without one for the time being.

      My current challenge is to change how I attach the
      Roomba motors (the base is pulling to the left) and
      find a suitable h-bridge circuit using the MOSFETS
      I got on the weekend to replace the relay control
      circuit.

      F9540N P-CHANNEL
      IRF540 N-CHANNEL
    • jamericanfreddy
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
        i have seen that PDF before
        it uses the basic idea of a laser and camera
        ONE of the KINECT designer told me that they use the laser line and camera as a basic concept to design the KINECT

        KINECT is very cool i own 5 of them on using one on my ROOMBA robot
        and have another on a roomba ROS ROBOT

        ONE on my roomba design robot i am using ROBOREALM software
        not shore if i am using one on my WHITE BOX 914 PC BOT
        or might use one of my NEATO XV-11 LIDAR

        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

        > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
        > > USING a laser line and camera is a old design
        > > KINECT camera uses the same design only little higher accuracy
        >
        > http://users.dickinson.edu/~jmac/selected-talks/kinect.pdf
        >
        > > Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it
        > > kinda work ok
        > >
        > > KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks
        > >
        > > 1 is large size
        > > 2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
        > > 3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
        > > 4 not omni-directional 360 pan
        >
        > Human vision is not omni-directional either and that
        > would be a great advantage in driving a car. It would
        > much easier to decide what to do next while driving
        > if you could view it all from above as in video games.
        >
        > > LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very
        > > low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is
        > > omni-directional 360 pan plus small size.
        >
        > And combined with radar will probably make the driverless
        > car a reality. It may even become illegal to drive the
        > car yourself for safety reasons.
        >
        > Essentially these systems bypass the logic that would
        > be required for human like visual data to determine
        > the distance of objects (surfaces).
        >
        > As I don't have a LIDAR handy I will have to do
        > without one for the time being.
        >
        > My current challenge is to change how I attach the
        > Roomba motors (the base is pulling to the left) and
        > find a suitable h-bridge circuit using the MOSFETS
        > I got on the weekend to replace the relay control
        > circuit.
        >
        > F9540N P-CHANNEL
        > IRF540 N-CHANNEL

      • jamericanfreddy
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
          JEFF
          IF you need a LIDAR i sell them and i have well 30 left as of today

          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

          > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
          > > USING a laser line and camera is a old design
          > > KINECT camera uses the same design only little higher accuracy
          >
          > http://users.dickinson.edu/~jmac/selected-talks/kinect.pdf
          >
          > > Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it
          > > kinda work ok
          > >
          > > KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks
          > >
          > > 1 is large size
          > > 2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
          > > 3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
          > > 4 not omni-directional 360 pan
          >
          > Human vision is not omni-directional either and that
          > would be a great advantage in driving a car. It would
          > much easier to decide what to do next while driving
          > if you could view it all from above as in video games.
          >
          > > LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very
          > > low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is
          > > omni-directional 360 pan plus small size.
          >
          > And combined with radar will probably make the driverless
          > car a reality. It may even become illegal to drive the
          > car yourself for safety reasons.
          >
          > Essentially these systems bypass the logic that would
          > be required for human like visual data to determine
          > the distance of objects (surfaces).
          >
          > As I don't have a LIDAR handy I will have to do
          > without one for the time being.
          >
          > My current challenge is to change how I attach the
          > Roomba motors (the base is pulling to the left) and
          > find a suitable h-bridge circuit using the MOSFETS
          > I got on the weekend to replace the relay control
          > circuit.
          >
          > F9540N P-CHANNEL
          > IRF540 N-CHANNEL

        • jamericanfreddy
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
            360 PAN IS VERY USEFUL in navigation ,main reason can tell if a object is in back of the robot or on the sides

            --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

            > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
            > > USING a laser line and camera is a old design
            > > KINECT camera uses the same design only little higher accuracy
            >
            > http://users.dickinson.edu/~jmac/selected-talks/kinect.pdf
            >
            > > Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it
            > > kinda work ok
            > >
            > > KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks
            > >
            > > 1 is large size
            > > 2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
            > > 3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
            > > 4 not omni-directional 360 pan
            >
            > Human vision is not omni-directional either and that
            > would be a great advantage in driving a car. It would
            > much easier to decide what to do next while driving
            > if you could view it all from above as in video games.
            >
            > > LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very
            > > low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is
            > > omni-directional 360 pan plus small size.
            >
            > And combined with radar will probably make the driverless
            > car a reality. It may even become illegal to drive the
            > car yourself for safety reasons.
            >
            > Essentially these systems bypass the logic that would
            > be required for human like visual data to determine
            > the distance of objects (surfaces).
            >
            > As I don't have a LIDAR handy I will have to do
            > without one for the time being.
            >
            > My current challenge is to change how I attach the
            > Roomba motors (the base is pulling to the left) and
            > find a suitable h-bridge circuit using the MOSFETS
            > I got on the weekend to replace the relay control
            > circuit.
            >
            > F9540N P-CHANNEL
            > IRF540 N-CHANNEL

          • jgkjcasey
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 22, 2013
              --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" wrote:
              > KINECT is very cool i own 5 of them on using one on my
              > ROOMBA robot and have another on a roomba ROS ROBOT

              I notice Dave Shinsel's Loki now sports a KINECT which
              is apparently used instead of the web cams for locating
              objects.

              > ONE on my roomba design robot i am using ROBOREALM
              > software not shore if i am using one on my WHITE
              > BOX 914 PC BOT or might use one of my NEATO XV-11
              > LIDAR

              And what behaviors do you plan to implement with
              your Roomba robot using RoboRealm? I am thinking
              of giving RoboRealm another look even if I only
              use it to access the webcams. I have been using
              escapi.dll to experiment with visual programs.

              I have to work within my limitations when it comes
              to electronics and programming. Shinsel's robots for
              example requires above hobby level programming
              abilities "expect that you need good Visual Studio
              understanding to get it working." I am limited to
              low level programming languages such as Assembler,
              BASIC and C.

              I have dumped the attempt at using the Roomba motors
              and am back working on the old robot base although
              it is somewhat overpowered in the motor department.