Re: Roomba Clone Progress

  • jamericanfreddy
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 16 7:48 PM
      USING a laser line and camera is a old design
      KINECT camera uses the same design only little higher accuracy

      Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it kinda work ok

      KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks

      1 is large size
      2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
      3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
      4 not omni-directional 360 pan

      LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is omni-directional 360 pan plus small size
    • jgkjcasey
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 19 10:27 AM

        http://users.dickinson.edu/~jmac/selected-talks/kinect.pdf

        > Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it
        > kinda work ok
        >
        > KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks
        >
        > 1 is large size
        > 2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
        > 3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
        > 4 not omni-directional 360 pan

        Human vision is not omni-directional either and that
        would be a great advantage in driving a car. It would
        much easier to decide what to do next while driving
        if you could view it all from above as in video games.

        > LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very
        > low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is
        > omni-directional 360 pan plus small size.

        And combined with radar will probably make the driverless
        car a reality. It may even become illegal to drive the
        car yourself for safety reasons.

        Essentially these systems bypass the logic that would
        be required for human like visual data to determine
        the distance of objects (surfaces).

        As I don't have a LIDAR handy I will have to do
        without one for the time being.

        My current challenge is to change how I attach the
        Roomba motors (the base is pulling to the left) and
        find a suitable h-bridge circuit using the MOSFETS
        I got on the weekend to replace the relay control
        circuit.

        F9540N P-CHANNEL
        IRF540 N-CHANNEL
      • jamericanfreddy
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 20 5:32 AM
          i have seen that PDF before
          it uses the basic idea of a laser and camera
          ONE of the KINECT designer told me that they use the laser line and camera as a basic concept to design the KINECT

          KINECT is very cool i own 5 of them on using one on my ROOMBA robot
          and have another on a roomba ROS ROBOT

          ONE on my roomba design robot i am using ROBOREALM software
          not shore if i am using one on my WHITE BOX 914 PC BOT
          or might use one of my NEATO XV-11 LIDAR

          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

          > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
          > > USING a laser line and camera is a old design
          > > KINECT camera uses the same design only little higher accuracy
          >
          > http://users.dickinson.edu/~jmac/selected-talks/kinect.pdf
          >
          > > Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it
          > > kinda work ok
          > >
          > > KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks
          > >
          > > 1 is large size
          > > 2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
          > > 3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
          > > 4 not omni-directional 360 pan
          >
          > Human vision is not omni-directional either and that
          > would be a great advantage in driving a car. It would
          > much easier to decide what to do next while driving
          > if you could view it all from above as in video games.
          >
          > > LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very
          > > low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is
          > > omni-directional 360 pan plus small size.
          >
          > And combined with radar will probably make the driverless
          > car a reality. It may even become illegal to drive the
          > car yourself for safety reasons.
          >
          > Essentially these systems bypass the logic that would
          > be required for human like visual data to determine
          > the distance of objects (surfaces).
          >
          > As I don't have a LIDAR handy I will have to do
          > without one for the time being.
          >
          > My current challenge is to change how I attach the
          > Roomba motors (the base is pulling to the left) and
          > find a suitable h-bridge circuit using the MOSFETS
          > I got on the weekend to replace the relay control
          > circuit.
          >
          > F9540N P-CHANNEL
          > IRF540 N-CHANNEL

        • jamericanfreddy
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 20 5:36 AM
            JEFF
            IF you need a LIDAR i sell them and i have well 30 left as of today

            --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

            > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
            > > USING a laser line and camera is a old design
            > > KINECT camera uses the same design only little higher accuracy
            >
            > http://users.dickinson.edu/~jmac/selected-talks/kinect.pdf
            >
            > > Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it
            > > kinda work ok
            > >
            > > KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks
            > >
            > > 1 is large size
            > > 2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
            > > 3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
            > > 4 not omni-directional 360 pan
            >
            > Human vision is not omni-directional either and that
            > would be a great advantage in driving a car. It would
            > much easier to decide what to do next while driving
            > if you could view it all from above as in video games.
            >
            > > LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very
            > > low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is
            > > omni-directional 360 pan plus small size.
            >
            > And combined with radar will probably make the driverless
            > car a reality. It may even become illegal to drive the
            > car yourself for safety reasons.
            >
            > Essentially these systems bypass the logic that would
            > be required for human like visual data to determine
            > the distance of objects (surfaces).
            >
            > As I don't have a LIDAR handy I will have to do
            > without one for the time being.
            >
            > My current challenge is to change how I attach the
            > Roomba motors (the base is pulling to the left) and
            > find a suitable h-bridge circuit using the MOSFETS
            > I got on the weekend to replace the relay control
            > circuit.
            >
            > F9540N P-CHANNEL
            > IRF540 N-CHANNEL

          • jamericanfreddy
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 20 5:40 AM
              360 PAN IS VERY USEFUL in navigation ,main reason can tell if a object is in back of the robot or on the sides

              --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

              > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
              > > USING a laser line and camera is a old design
              > > KINECT camera uses the same design only little higher accuracy
              >
              > http://users.dickinson.edu/~jmac/selected-talks/kinect.pdf
              >
              > > Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it
              > > kinda work ok
              > >
              > > KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks
              > >
              > > 1 is large size
              > > 2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
              > > 3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
              > > 4 not omni-directional 360 pan
              >
              > Human vision is not omni-directional either and that
              > would be a great advantage in driving a car. It would
              > much easier to decide what to do next while driving
              > if you could view it all from above as in video games.
              >
              > > LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very
              > > low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is
              > > omni-directional 360 pan plus small size.
              >
              > And combined with radar will probably make the driverless
              > car a reality. It may even become illegal to drive the
              > car yourself for safety reasons.
              >
              > Essentially these systems bypass the logic that would
              > be required for human like visual data to determine
              > the distance of objects (surfaces).
              >
              > As I don't have a LIDAR handy I will have to do
              > without one for the time being.
              >
              > My current challenge is to change how I attach the
              > Roomba motors (the base is pulling to the left) and
              > find a suitable h-bridge circuit using the MOSFETS
              > I got on the weekend to replace the relay control
              > circuit.
              >
              > F9540N P-CHANNEL
              > IRF540 N-CHANNEL

            • jgkjcasey
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 22 10:34 AM
                --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" wrote:
                > KINECT is very cool i own 5 of them on using one on my
                > ROOMBA robot and have another on a roomba ROS ROBOT

                I notice Dave Shinsel's Loki now sports a KINECT which
                is apparently used instead of the web cams for locating
                objects.

                > ONE on my roomba design robot i am using ROBOREALM
                > software not shore if i am using one on my WHITE
                > BOX 914 PC BOT or might use one of my NEATO XV-11
                > LIDAR

                And what behaviors do you plan to implement with
                your Roomba robot using RoboRealm? I am thinking
                of giving RoboRealm another look even if I only
                use it to access the webcams. I have been using
                escapi.dll to experiment with visual programs.

                I have to work within my limitations when it comes
                to electronics and programming. Shinsel's robots for
                example requires above hobby level programming
                abilities "expect that you need good Visual Studio
                understanding to get it working." I am limited to
                low level programming languages such as Assembler,
                BASIC and C.

                I have dumped the attempt at using the Roomba motors
                and am back working on the old robot base although
                it is somewhat overpowered in the motor department.