Re: Roomba Clone Progress

  • jgkjcasey
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 16, 2013
      I will have to check to see if the clone emits as well
      as receives infrared pulses from the omnicone which is
      there but it didn't come with a homing base or virtual
      wall hardware.

      I have used a laser line and webcam to give a distance
      measure. The legs of chairs can be recognized by the
      u-shape of the line. By turning on the laser, taking
      an image, turning off the laser, taking another image,
      subtract one from the other and all that is left is
      the laser data. The laser was a cheap laser level from
      a hardware store. The distance corresponds to the
      vertical height in each column in the image of the
      laser light.

      A method for seeing if an infrared led is on is to
      look at it with your digital camera.

      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@...> wrote:

      > LASER SCANNER is not really a a laser ,its only IR transmitter and receiver and omnicone used for home base homming and recharging
      > JOHNC is correct is only uses software algorithms to map out a room for cleaning
      >
      > ONLY low cost laser for robots is NEATO XV-11 LIDAR laser is used for navigation
      >
      > same one used in LINUX ROS navigation,there are many hacks on the internet to use it as a navigation sensor,i use one in my LINUX ROS ROOMBA design same as TURTLEBOT design and works perfect
      >
      > IF you do a internet search on turtlebot using LINUX ROS and they are using ICREATE witch is the same as ROOMBA only no vacuum motors and the use a KINECT camera ,you can use any navigation sensor in their database
      >
      > ON the NEATO XV-11 I SELL THEM ON EBAY VERY CHEAP
      > http://www.ebay.com/itm/271257276858?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_891wt_1247
      >
      > $105 FREE SHIPPPING and the accuracy is compared to $1100 LIDAR selling at acroname
      >
      > hopping to find someone who made the C++ code and API for it
      >
      > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jwonch20" <jwonch20@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Is this clone going to use a laser scanner similar to Roomba?
      > > > I would be VERY interested to learn about that.
      > > >
      > > > John Wonch
      > >
      > > I am not building a Roomba clone I purchased a $100 Roomba clone
      > > with the intentions of using it as a robot base. Unfortunately
      > > I wasn't able to use its on board mother board so the pc + K8055
      > > only uses the motors, battery and power board. As far as I know
      > > the Roomba does not use a laser scanner it uses algorithms to
      > > map a room's characteristics when it hits something. For example
      > > the more often you hit something the smaller the room? It has
      > > movements that maximize the chances of covering all of the room.
      > > I did google that some people are adding laser mapping to the
      > > iRobot that can be used as a robot base via a special port and
      > > access software provided by iRobot.
      > >
      > > My interest has been vision using webcams and in this case using
      > > the built in webcam on the laptop that controls the robot base.
      > >
      > > JohnC

    • jamericanfreddy
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 16, 2013
        USING a laser line and camera is a old design
        KINECT camera uses the same design only little higher accuracy

        Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it kinda work ok

        KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks

        1 is large size
        2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
        3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
        4 not omni-directional 360 pan

        LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is omni-directional 360 pan plus small size
      • jgkjcasey
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 19, 2013

          http://users.dickinson.edu/~jmac/selected-talks/kinect.pdf

          > Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it
          > kinda work ok
          >
          > KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks
          >
          > 1 is large size
          > 2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
          > 3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
          > 4 not omni-directional 360 pan

          Human vision is not omni-directional either and that
          would be a great advantage in driving a car. It would
          much easier to decide what to do next while driving
          if you could view it all from above as in video games.

          > LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very
          > low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is
          > omni-directional 360 pan plus small size.

          And combined with radar will probably make the driverless
          car a reality. It may even become illegal to drive the
          car yourself for safety reasons.

          Essentially these systems bypass the logic that would
          be required for human like visual data to determine
          the distance of objects (surfaces).

          As I don't have a LIDAR handy I will have to do
          without one for the time being.

          My current challenge is to change how I attach the
          Roomba motors (the base is pulling to the left) and
          find a suitable h-bridge circuit using the MOSFETS
          I got on the weekend to replace the relay control
          circuit.

          F9540N P-CHANNEL
          IRF540 N-CHANNEL
        • jamericanfreddy
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
            i have seen that PDF before
            it uses the basic idea of a laser and camera
            ONE of the KINECT designer told me that they use the laser line and camera as a basic concept to design the KINECT

            KINECT is very cool i own 5 of them on using one on my ROOMBA robot
            and have another on a roomba ROS ROBOT

            ONE on my roomba design robot i am using ROBOREALM software
            not shore if i am using one on my WHITE BOX 914 PC BOT
            or might use one of my NEATO XV-11 LIDAR

            --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

            > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
            > > USING a laser line and camera is a old design
            > > KINECT camera uses the same design only little higher accuracy
            >
            > http://users.dickinson.edu/~jmac/selected-talks/kinect.pdf
            >
            > > Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it
            > > kinda work ok
            > >
            > > KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks
            > >
            > > 1 is large size
            > > 2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
            > > 3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
            > > 4 not omni-directional 360 pan
            >
            > Human vision is not omni-directional either and that
            > would be a great advantage in driving a car. It would
            > much easier to decide what to do next while driving
            > if you could view it all from above as in video games.
            >
            > > LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very
            > > low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is
            > > omni-directional 360 pan plus small size.
            >
            > And combined with radar will probably make the driverless
            > car a reality. It may even become illegal to drive the
            > car yourself for safety reasons.
            >
            > Essentially these systems bypass the logic that would
            > be required for human like visual data to determine
            > the distance of objects (surfaces).
            >
            > As I don't have a LIDAR handy I will have to do
            > without one for the time being.
            >
            > My current challenge is to change how I attach the
            > Roomba motors (the base is pulling to the left) and
            > find a suitable h-bridge circuit using the MOSFETS
            > I got on the weekend to replace the relay control
            > circuit.
            >
            > F9540N P-CHANNEL
            > IRF540 N-CHANNEL

          • jamericanfreddy
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
              JEFF
              IF you need a LIDAR i sell them and i have well 30 left as of today

              --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

              > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
              > > USING a laser line and camera is a old design
              > > KINECT camera uses the same design only little higher accuracy
              >
              > http://users.dickinson.edu/~jmac/selected-talks/kinect.pdf
              >
              > > Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it
              > > kinda work ok
              > >
              > > KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks
              > >
              > > 1 is large size
              > > 2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
              > > 3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
              > > 4 not omni-directional 360 pan
              >
              > Human vision is not omni-directional either and that
              > would be a great advantage in driving a car. It would
              > much easier to decide what to do next while driving
              > if you could view it all from above as in video games.
              >
              > > LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very
              > > low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is
              > > omni-directional 360 pan plus small size.
              >
              > And combined with radar will probably make the driverless
              > car a reality. It may even become illegal to drive the
              > car yourself for safety reasons.
              >
              > Essentially these systems bypass the logic that would
              > be required for human like visual data to determine
              > the distance of objects (surfaces).
              >
              > As I don't have a LIDAR handy I will have to do
              > without one for the time being.
              >
              > My current challenge is to change how I attach the
              > Roomba motors (the base is pulling to the left) and
              > find a suitable h-bridge circuit using the MOSFETS
              > I got on the weekend to replace the relay control
              > circuit.
              >
              > F9540N P-CHANNEL
              > IRF540 N-CHANNEL

            • jamericanfreddy
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
                360 PAN IS VERY USEFUL in navigation ,main reason can tell if a object is in back of the robot or on the sides

                --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

                > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
                > > USING a laser line and camera is a old design
                > > KINECT camera uses the same design only little higher accuracy
                >
                > http://users.dickinson.edu/~jmac/selected-talks/kinect.pdf
                >
                > > Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it
                > > kinda work ok
                > >
                > > KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks
                > >
                > > 1 is large size
                > > 2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
                > > 3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
                > > 4 not omni-directional 360 pan
                >
                > Human vision is not omni-directional either and that
                > would be a great advantage in driving a car. It would
                > much easier to decide what to do next while driving
                > if you could view it all from above as in video games.
                >
                > > LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very
                > > low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is
                > > omni-directional 360 pan plus small size.
                >
                > And combined with radar will probably make the driverless
                > car a reality. It may even become illegal to drive the
                > car yourself for safety reasons.
                >
                > Essentially these systems bypass the logic that would
                > be required for human like visual data to determine
                > the distance of objects (surfaces).
                >
                > As I don't have a LIDAR handy I will have to do
                > without one for the time being.
                >
                > My current challenge is to change how I attach the
                > Roomba motors (the base is pulling to the left) and
                > find a suitable h-bridge circuit using the MOSFETS
                > I got on the weekend to replace the relay control
                > circuit.
                >
                > F9540N P-CHANNEL
                > IRF540 N-CHANNEL

              • jgkjcasey
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 22, 2013
                  --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" wrote:
                  > KINECT is very cool i own 5 of them on using one on my
                  > ROOMBA robot and have another on a roomba ROS ROBOT

                  I notice Dave Shinsel's Loki now sports a KINECT which
                  is apparently used instead of the web cams for locating
                  objects.

                  > ONE on my roomba design robot i am using ROBOREALM
                  > software not shore if i am using one on my WHITE
                  > BOX 914 PC BOT or might use one of my NEATO XV-11
                  > LIDAR

                  And what behaviors do you plan to implement with
                  your Roomba robot using RoboRealm? I am thinking
                  of giving RoboRealm another look even if I only
                  use it to access the webcams. I have been using
                  escapi.dll to experiment with visual programs.

                  I have to work within my limitations when it comes
                  to electronics and programming. Shinsel's robots for
                  example requires above hobby level programming
                  abilities "expect that you need good Visual Studio
                  understanding to get it working." I am limited to
                  low level programming languages such as Assembler,
                  BASIC and C.

                  I have dumped the attempt at using the Roomba motors
                  and am back working on the old robot base although
                  it is somewhat overpowered in the motor department.