Re: [SeattleRobotics] USB Microscope

  • Peter Balch
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 12, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 107 KB
    > I bought two different ones from Maplin in the UK ... the software failed
    > to show any video

    I have one from Maplin which works OK. I can't remember what the
    focal-distance is like - whether you can get a soldering iron under it.
    Neither can I remember where I've put it. If I find it, I'll measure the
    distance.

    I decided instead to make some high power binocular glasses.

    I posted a picture of them to SRS in 2012. I've attached it to this post.
    Here's what I said back then:

    > I made some from two pairs of 3.5 dioptre "reading glasses" from my local
    > branch of Poundland (a store where everything costs £1 - i.e. $1.50).
    >
    > I hope it's clear from the attached photo how they're made. The bridge of
    > one pair is bent so that the top surfaces of the lens rims touch and can
    > be
    > soldered together. Choose a pair with spring hinges that "click" open. The
    > ends of the arms (the "temple tips" or "ear pieces") are bent out at 90deg
    > so they can be soldered along the top surfaces of the lens rims of the
    > second pair.
    >
    > Even though the lenses are cheap plastic, the heat of the soldering
    > doesn't
    > damage them - if you're reasonably quick. I don't know what the metalwork
    > of
    > the glasses is but it soldered OK. Glasses with "painted" metalwork
    > seem to solder better than shiny anodised ones.
    >
    > For £2, they're a great pair of close-up binocs and only take a couple of
    > minutes to make. They're lighter and much higher-power than the usual
    > headband magnifiers.

    Using them, I can solder chips with 0.5mm pitch leads.

    I also use a jeweller's loup for close-up inspection (but not during actual
    soldering).

    Peter
  • jamericanfreddy
    Message 2 of 14 , Aug 12, 2013
      AT my work we do a lot of inspecting and SMT work
      SO i designed one using a microscope and board camera and lens relay and tv monitor

      ALSO made a second that was much harder,they are easy to make
      and doesnt need high precision unless your design needs it
      board camera you get from supercircuits ,lens relay or camera to microscope adapter from edmund scientific and if you need usb
      simple video to usb adapter

      if you need to compare the images like in one design for work i did
      need to design software or use roborealm like i did

      Cost depends on what its needed for and precision needed

      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "David Buckley" <david@...> wrote:

      > I bought two different ones from Maplin in the UK and had to send both of them back for a refund as the software failed to show any video using several different XP machines and existing software which connects well to web cams couldn't find any video either.
      > I then bought a microscope camera with an inbuilt screen which expects the object to be too close to be able to do any soldering or anything.
      > DAvid

    • David Buckley
      Message 3 of 14 , Aug 12, 2013
        No doubt that presumes one already has a microscope suitable for viewing SMT work, in which case I probably wouldn't need the camera.
        DAvid

        AT my work we do a lot of inspecting and SMT work
        SO i designed one using a microscope and board camera and lens relay and tv monitor

        ALSO made a second that was much harder,they are easy to make
        and doesnt need high precision unless your design needs it
        board camera you get from supercircuits ,lens relay or camera to microscope adapter from edmund scientific and if you need usb
        simple video to usb adapter

        if you need to compare the images like in one design for work i did
        need to design software or use roborealm like i did

        Cost depends on what its needed for and precision needed

        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "David Buckley" <david@...> wrote:

        > I bought two different ones from Maplin in the UK and had to send both of them back for a refund as the software failed to show any video using several different XP machines and existing software which connects well to web cams couldn't find any video either.
        > I then bought a microscope camera with an inbuilt screen which expects the object to be too close to be able to do any soldering or anything.
        > DAvid

      • Robert Dyer
        Message 4 of 14 , Aug 12, 2013

          Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. Seeing Peter's solution makes me wish I still had all those broken reading glasses I've discarded over the years. (We have the Dollar Store and Dollar Tree instead of Poundland.)

          When I want to do really close-up work, I clip a jeweler's eye-loupe I got from Harbor Freight for $5 onto my glasses. http://www.harborfreight.com/165x-jewelers-clip-on-eye-loupe-94364.html The problem is the focal distance is way too short for anything but inspection. There's no way I want to get a soldering iron this close to my face. That's why Peter's glasses would be much better.

          However, I rarely use a piece of equipment for one thing. A USB scope would provide a lot more flexibility and the ability to record what I'm seeing, so any other suggestions regarding imaging/camera/video hardware would be much appreciated.

          I searched back through our Yahoo! Group emails and didn't see anything else there. If you know a time when this was previously discussed here, let me know when that thread appeared.

          Thanks.

          Robert

          From: "Peter Balch"

          <*>[Attachment(s) from Peter Balch included below]

          Here's what I said back then:

          > I made some from two pairs of 3.5 dioptre "reading glasses" from my local
          > branch of Poundland (a store where everything costs £1 - i.e. $1.50).
          >
          > I hope it's clear from the attached photo how they're made. The bridge of
          > one pair is bent so that the top surfaces of the lens rims touch and can
          > be
          > soldered together. Choose a pair with spring hinges that "click" open. The
          > ends of the arms (the "temple tips" or "ear pieces") are bent out at 90deg
          > so they can be soldered along the top surfaces of the lens rims of the
          > second pair.
          >
          > Even though the lenses are cheap plastic, the heat of the soldering
          > doesn't
          > damage them - if you're reasonably quick. I don't know what the metalwork
          > of
          > the glasses is but it soldered OK. Glasses with "painted" metalwork
          > seem to solder better than shiny anodised ones.
          >
          > For £2, they're a great pair of close-up binocs and only take a couple of
          > minutes to make. They're lighter and much higher-power than the usual
          > headband magnifiers.

          Using them, I can solder chips with 0.5mm pitch leads.

          I also use a jeweller's loup for close-up inspection (but not during actual
          soldering).

          Peter

          <*>Attachment(s) from Peter Balch:

          <*> P1000481.JPG
        • Peter Balch
          Message 5 of 14 , Aug 31, 2013
            > From: Robert Dyer
            > I'm thinking about buying a USB
            > microscope
            > ... magnification range.
            > ... I'll need room for a soldering iron between
            > the microscope and the board.

            I finally found mine hidden in the back of a drawer so I was able to measure
            it.

            It's just a usb "webcam" with a lens that you can adjust the focus to give a
            high magnification.

            The lens is set well back into the body so that when the rim of the body is
            set flat against a piece of paper (i.e. "clearance = 0mm") the lens is about
            60mm away from the paper.

            If you then adjust the focus, you find the field width is 6.5mm.

            If you move the camera away from the paper you can then adjust the focus and
            see a bigger field. The (approximate) measurements I made are:

            Clearance Field_width
            0 6.5
            60 20
            100 27
            170 39

            Which gives a formula of about
            field = clearance*0.2 + 6.5

            So if you set the clearance to 100mm you'd be able to get your soldering
            iron under and get reasonable magnification. However, the depth of field is
            around 4mm - fine for a flat pcb but no good for a 3D "specimen".

            With a USB 1 port it gave a frame rate of 2 fps. With USB2 it seemed around
            30 fps. The picture is 1024x768.

            It has 6 white LEDs which illuminate the field well.

            > I'm guessing that the
            > camera mount is also important.

            Rather annoyingly, it has no mount at all. That's why it was in the back of
            a drawer. It would be useful for soldering if I ever get around to making a
            mount of some sort.

            How does that compare with a standard webcam? I just tried a very typical
            one and found that it would focus down to 20mm (depth of field = 4mm) and
            the field width is roughly equal to the clearance. Clearly, the microscope
            is more like a "telephoto" lens - you can hold the camera further away from
            the object for the same magnification. But 30mm clearance, 30mm field width
            is perfctly reasonable for soldering. Is it worth paying extra for a
            "microscope"? I reckon maybe 25% extra is OK but if it's double the price
            then just get a decent webcam.

            Sorry if this information comes too late to be of use.

            Peter
          • David Buckley
            Message 6 of 14 , Aug 31, 2013
              It may be too late for Robert, but for me - on the contrary.
              I never thought to try a web cam which seems a much better option. Maybe I could add another lens in front as well.
              DAvid

              Message 7 of 14 , Aug 31, 2013

                Information valuable as always, Peter. Do you have a Brand and/or Model Number?

                Robert

                Message 8 of 14 , Aug 31, 2013
                  > Do you have a Brand and/or Model Number?

                  No I've thrown away the packaging. It uses the standard Windows camera
                  drivers so no CD either.

                  It's like this one
                  http://walyou.com/web-enabled-digital-microscope-camera-for-things-you-cant-see/
                  http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/444233177/2013_new_USB_Digital_Microscope_holder.html
                  Note how the wire comes out of the side (there's a button on the top for a
                  snapshot).

                  If you google USB microscope images then almost all of them look very, very
                  similar but have the wire coming out of the top. Here's a review
                  http://www.toddfun.com/2012/02/26/usb-microscope-review/

                  Is it better than my home-made binocular glasses? I don't think so. Because
                  the microscope field is so small, you'd be continually moving the pcb. But
                  if I had to hand-solder the little RN-42 Apple co-processor authentication
                  chips we're using in our current project I'd probably use it - the entire
                  chip is 2mm square!

                  Peter
                • Kevin Ross
                  Message 9 of 14 , Aug 31, 2013
                    Honestly, if you are soldering, a microscope is extraordinary overkill!

                    Get a good HD webcam (Microsoft Cinema 1080p works for me). You can position
                    it about 3-5 inches from your work area. I do mine right in front of my
                    computer. It will give you about 10x magnification just because you are
                    taking a small area and increasing it to the size of your computer monitor.
                    I have a 23" diagonal monitor.

                    Depth of field on a true microscope is very poor. The only way to get things
                    to focus is for the lens to be directly above your work and perpendicular to
                    the work surface. Not the right tool for this job.

                    > Do you have a Brand and/or Model Number?

                    No I've thrown away the packaging. It uses the standard Windows camera
                    drivers so no CD either.

                    It's like this one
                    http://walyou.com/web-enabled-digital-microscope-camera-for-things-you-cant-
                    see/
                    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/444233177/2013_new_USB_Digital_Microscope_
                    holder.html
                    Note how the wire comes out of the side (there's a button on the top for a
                    snapshot).

                    If you google USB microscope images then almost all of them look very, very
                    similar but have the wire coming out of the top. Here's a review
                    http://www.toddfun.com/2012/02/26/usb-microscope-review/

                    Is it better than my home-made binocular glasses? I don't think so. Because
                    the microscope field is so small, you'd be continually moving the pcb. But
                    if I had to hand-solder the little RN-42 Apple co-processor authentication
                    chips we're using in our current project I'd probably use it - the entire
                    chip is 2mm square!

                  • arioch2k1
                    Message 10 of 14 , Aug 31, 2013

                      This is the US Distributor: http://www.saelig.com/VIM/VI021.htm

                      --- In seattlerobotics@yahoogroups.com, <peterbalch@...> wrote:

                      > Do you have a Brand and/or Model Number?

                      No I've thrown away the packaging. It uses the standard Windows camera
                      drivers so no CD either.

                      It's like this one
                      http://walyou.com/web-enabled-digital-microscope-camera-for-things-you-cant-see/
                      http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/444233177/2013_new_USB_Digital_Microscope_holder.html
                      Note how the wire comes out of the side (there's a button on the top for a
                      snapshot).

                      If you google USB microscope images then almost all of them look very, very
                      similar but have the wire coming out of the top. Here's a review
                      http://www.toddfun.com/2012/02/26/usb-microscope-review/

                      Is it better than my home-made binocular glasses? I don't think so. Because
                      the microscope field is so small, you'd be continually moving the pcb. But
                      if I had to hand-solder the little RN-42 Apple co-processor authentication
                      chips we're using in our current project I'd probably use it - the entire
                      chip is 2mm square!

                      Peter
                    • Mark Kenworthy
                      Message 11 of 14 , Sep 4 12:11 PM

                        I picked up one of these to help us inspect parts and document issues under high magnification.  Works great for that purpose.  Haven’t tried using it for soldering.