RE: [SeattleRobotics] Roomba Clone Progress

  • Doug Leppard
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 7, 2013

      Interesting, love to watch the progress.

      Doug

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 9, 2013
        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Leppard" <doug.leppard.list@...> wrote:

        > Interesting, love to watch the progress.
        >
        > Doug

        Hopefully there will be some progress to watch :)

        It gives impetus to a project if you think others
        might be taking an interest.

        The $100 roomba clone would have been a good buy
        as a robot base to add a laptop, webcam and
        supplementary sensors if I had been able to
        interface the PC to the PIC controller and make
        use of the electronics to drive the motors and
        read the sensors. Instead all I have for the $100
        are two motorized wheels with built in tachometers,
        a battery and power board with charger and an
        on/off switch and now I will have to build my own
        electronics to drive the motors and read the
        sensors so in that sense it has been a failure.

        A better hack might be the Neato with its LIDAR.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z75KvyiguIg

        At the moment I am mulling over the best shape.

        Although a round shape is good for turning on
        the spot and is less likely I suspect to get
        stuck somewhere there are advantages to a shape
        more like fork lift with the power wheels up
        one end and the free wheel at the other with
        its issues such as when following a wall and
        having to turn at 90 degrees in a corner.

        John
      • jgkjcasey
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 14, 2013
          Latest robot base using Roomba clone motors, K8055 interface
          and a relay circuit to turn motors on/off and change their
          directions (back/forward). Hope to get some components this
          weekend to make a h-bridge and use the K8055 pwm output for
          for speed control. The robot base is controlled by the
          wireless keyboard via the on board laptop.

          Still working on the bumpers.

          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

          > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Leppard" <doug.leppard.list@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Interesting, love to watch the progress.
          > >
          > > Doug
          >
          > Hopefully there will be some progress to watch :)
          >
          > It gives impetus to a project if you think others
          > might be taking an interest.
          >
          > The $100 roomba clone would have been a good buy
          > as a robot base to add a laptop, webcam and
          > supplementary sensors if I had been able to
          > interface the PC to the PIC controller and make
          > use of the electronics to drive the motors and
          > read the sensors. Instead all I have for the $100
          > are two motorized wheels with built in tachometers,
          > a battery and power board with charger and an
          > on/off switch and now I will have to build my own
          > electronics to drive the motors and read the
          > sensors so in that sense it has been a failure.
          >
          > John
        • jwonch20
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 15, 2013
            Is this clone going to use a laser scanner similar to Roomba? I would be VERY interested to learn about that.

            John Wonch

            --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

            > Latest robot base using Roomba clone motors, K8055 interface
            > and a relay circuit to turn motors on/off and change their
            > directions (back/forward). Hope to get some components this
            > weekend to make a h-bridge and use the K8055 pwm output for
            > for speed control. The robot base is controlled by the
            > wireless keyboard via the on board laptop.
            >
            > Still working on the bumpers.
            >

            > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@> wrote:
            > >

            > > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Leppard" <doug.leppard.list@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Interesting, love to watch the progress.
            > > >
            > > > Doug
            > >
            > > Hopefully there will be some progress to watch :)
            > >
            > > It gives impetus to a project if you think others
            > > might be taking an interest.
            > >
            > > The $100 roomba clone would have been a good buy
            > > as a robot base to add a laptop, webcam and
            > > supplementary sensors if I had been able to
            > > interface the PC to the PIC controller and make
            > > use of the electronics to drive the motors and
            > > read the sensors. Instead all I have for the $100
            > > are two motorized wheels with built in tachometers,
            > > a battery and power board with charger and an
            > > on/off switch and now I will have to build my own
            > > electronics to drive the motors and read the
            > > sensors so in that sense it has been a failure.
            > >
            > > John

          • jgkjcasey
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 15, 2013
              --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jwonch20" <jwonch20@...> wrote:

              > Is this clone going to use a laser scanner similar to Roomba?
              > I would be VERY interested to learn about that.
              >
              > John Wonch

              I am not building a Roomba clone I purchased a $100 Roomba clone
              with the intentions of using it as a robot base. Unfortunately
              I wasn't able to use its on board mother board so the pc + K8055
              only uses the motors, battery and power board. As far as I know
              the Roomba does not use a laser scanner it uses algorithms to
              map a room's characteristics when it hits something. For example
              the more often you hit something the smaller the room? It has
              movements that maximize the chances of covering all of the room.
              I did google that some people are adding laser mapping to the
              iRobot that can be used as a robot base via a special port and
              access software provided by iRobot.

              My interest has been vision using webcams and in this case using
              the built in webcam on the laptop that controls the robot base.

              JohnC
            • jamericanfreddy
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 16, 2013
                LASER SCANNER is not really a a laser ,its only IR transmitter and receiver and omnicone used for home base homming and recharging
                JOHNC is correct is only uses software algorithms to map out a room for cleaning

                ONLY low cost laser for robots is NEATO XV-11 LIDAR laser is used for navigation

                same one used in LINUX ROS navigation,there are many hacks on the internet to use it as a navigation sensor,i use one in my LINUX ROS ROOMBA design same as TURTLEBOT design and works perfect

                IF you do a internet search on turtlebot using LINUX ROS and they are using ICREATE witch is the same as ROOMBA only no vacuum motors and the use a KINECT camera ,you can use any navigation sensor in their database

                ON the NEATO XV-11 I SELL THEM ON EBAY VERY CHEAP
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/271257276858?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_891wt_1247

                $105 FREE SHIPPPING and the accuracy is compared to $1100 LIDAR selling at acroname

                hopping to find someone who made the C++ code and API for it

                --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

                > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jwonch20" <jwonch20@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Is this clone going to use a laser scanner similar to Roomba?
                > > I would be VERY interested to learn about that.
                > >
                > > John Wonch
                >
                > I am not building a Roomba clone I purchased a $100 Roomba clone
                > with the intentions of using it as a robot base. Unfortunately
                > I wasn't able to use its on board mother board so the pc + K8055
                > only uses the motors, battery and power board. As far as I know
                > the Roomba does not use a laser scanner it uses algorithms to
                > map a room's characteristics when it hits something. For example
                > the more often you hit something the smaller the room? It has
                > movements that maximize the chances of covering all of the room.
                > I did google that some people are adding laser mapping to the
                > iRobot that can be used as a robot base via a special port and
                > access software provided by iRobot.
                >
                > My interest has been vision using webcams and in this case using
                > the built in webcam on the laptop that controls the robot base.
                >
                > JohnC

              • jgkjcasey
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 16, 2013
                  I will have to check to see if the clone emits as well
                  as receives infrared pulses from the omnicone which is
                  there but it didn't come with a homing base or virtual
                  wall hardware.

                  I have used a laser line and webcam to give a distance
                  measure. The legs of chairs can be recognized by the
                  u-shape of the line. By turning on the laser, taking
                  an image, turning off the laser, taking another image,
                  subtract one from the other and all that is left is
                  the laser data. The laser was a cheap laser level from
                  a hardware store. The distance corresponds to the
                  vertical height in each column in the image of the
                  laser light.

                  A method for seeing if an infrared led is on is to
                  look at it with your digital camera.

                  --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@...> wrote:

                  > LASER SCANNER is not really a a laser ,its only IR transmitter and receiver and omnicone used for home base homming and recharging
                  > JOHNC is correct is only uses software algorithms to map out a room for cleaning
                  >
                  > ONLY low cost laser for robots is NEATO XV-11 LIDAR laser is used for navigation
                  >
                  > same one used in LINUX ROS navigation,there are many hacks on the internet to use it as a navigation sensor,i use one in my LINUX ROS ROOMBA design same as TURTLEBOT design and works perfect
                  >
                  > IF you do a internet search on turtlebot using LINUX ROS and they are using ICREATE witch is the same as ROOMBA only no vacuum motors and the use a KINECT camera ,you can use any navigation sensor in their database
                  >
                  > ON the NEATO XV-11 I SELL THEM ON EBAY VERY CHEAP
                  > http://www.ebay.com/itm/271257276858?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_891wt_1247
                  >
                  > $105 FREE SHIPPPING and the accuracy is compared to $1100 LIDAR selling at acroname
                  >
                  > hopping to find someone who made the C++ code and API for it
                  >
                  > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jwonch20" <jwonch20@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Is this clone going to use a laser scanner similar to Roomba?
                  > > > I would be VERY interested to learn about that.
                  > > >
                  > > > John Wonch
                  > >
                  > > I am not building a Roomba clone I purchased a $100 Roomba clone
                  > > with the intentions of using it as a robot base. Unfortunately
                  > > I wasn't able to use its on board mother board so the pc + K8055
                  > > only uses the motors, battery and power board. As far as I know
                  > > the Roomba does not use a laser scanner it uses algorithms to
                  > > map a room's characteristics when it hits something. For example
                  > > the more often you hit something the smaller the room? It has
                  > > movements that maximize the chances of covering all of the room.
                  > > I did google that some people are adding laser mapping to the
                  > > iRobot that can be used as a robot base via a special port and
                  > > access software provided by iRobot.
                  > >
                  > > My interest has been vision using webcams and in this case using
                  > > the built in webcam on the laptop that controls the robot base.
                  > >
                  > > JohnC

                • jamericanfreddy
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 16, 2013
                    USING a laser line and camera is a old design
                    KINECT camera uses the same design only little higher accuracy

                    Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it kinda work ok

                    KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks

                    1 is large size
                    2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
                    3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
                    4 not omni-directional 360 pan

                    LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is omni-directional 360 pan plus small size
                  • jgkjcasey
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 19, 2013

                      http://users.dickinson.edu/~jmac/selected-talks/kinect.pdf

                      > Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it
                      > kinda work ok
                      >
                      > KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks
                      >
                      > 1 is large size
                      > 2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
                      > 3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
                      > 4 not omni-directional 360 pan

                      Human vision is not omni-directional either and that
                      would be a great advantage in driving a car. It would
                      much easier to decide what to do next while driving
                      if you could view it all from above as in video games.

                      > LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very
                      > low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is
                      > omni-directional 360 pan plus small size.

                      And combined with radar will probably make the driverless
                      car a reality. It may even become illegal to drive the
                      car yourself for safety reasons.

                      Essentially these systems bypass the logic that would
                      be required for human like visual data to determine
                      the distance of objects (surfaces).

                      As I don't have a LIDAR handy I will have to do
                      without one for the time being.

                      My current challenge is to change how I attach the
                      Roomba motors (the base is pulling to the left) and
                      find a suitable h-bridge circuit using the MOSFETS
                      I got on the weekend to replace the relay control
                      circuit.

                      F9540N P-CHANNEL
                      IRF540 N-CHANNEL
                    • jamericanfreddy
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
                        i have seen that PDF before
                        it uses the basic idea of a laser and camera
                        ONE of the KINECT designer told me that they use the laser line and camera as a basic concept to design the KINECT

                        KINECT is very cool i own 5 of them on using one on my ROOMBA robot
                        and have another on a roomba ROS ROBOT

                        ONE on my roomba design robot i am using ROBOREALM software
                        not shore if i am using one on my WHITE BOX 914 PC BOT
                        or might use one of my NEATO XV-11 LIDAR

                        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

                        > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
                        > > USING a laser line and camera is a old design
                        > > KINECT camera uses the same design only little higher accuracy
                        >
                        > http://users.dickinson.edu/~jmac/selected-talks/kinect.pdf
                        >
                        > > Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it
                        > > kinda work ok
                        > >
                        > > KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks
                        > >
                        > > 1 is large size
                        > > 2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
                        > > 3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
                        > > 4 not omni-directional 360 pan
                        >
                        > Human vision is not omni-directional either and that
                        > would be a great advantage in driving a car. It would
                        > much easier to decide what to do next while driving
                        > if you could view it all from above as in video games.
                        >
                        > > LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very
                        > > low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is
                        > > omni-directional 360 pan plus small size.
                        >
                        > And combined with radar will probably make the driverless
                        > car a reality. It may even become illegal to drive the
                        > car yourself for safety reasons.
                        >
                        > Essentially these systems bypass the logic that would
                        > be required for human like visual data to determine
                        > the distance of objects (surfaces).
                        >
                        > As I don't have a LIDAR handy I will have to do
                        > without one for the time being.
                        >
                        > My current challenge is to change how I attach the
                        > Roomba motors (the base is pulling to the left) and
                        > find a suitable h-bridge circuit using the MOSFETS
                        > I got on the weekend to replace the relay control
                        > circuit.
                        >
                        > F9540N P-CHANNEL
                        > IRF540 N-CHANNEL

                      • jamericanfreddy
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
                          JEFF
                          IF you need a LIDAR i sell them and i have well 30 left as of today

                          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

                          > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
                          > > USING a laser line and camera is a old design
                          > > KINECT camera uses the same design only little higher accuracy
                          >
                          > http://users.dickinson.edu/~jmac/selected-talks/kinect.pdf
                          >
                          > > Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it
                          > > kinda work ok
                          > >
                          > > KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks
                          > >
                          > > 1 is large size
                          > > 2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
                          > > 3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
                          > > 4 not omni-directional 360 pan
                          >
                          > Human vision is not omni-directional either and that
                          > would be a great advantage in driving a car. It would
                          > much easier to decide what to do next while driving
                          > if you could view it all from above as in video games.
                          >
                          > > LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very
                          > > low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is
                          > > omni-directional 360 pan plus small size.
                          >
                          > And combined with radar will probably make the driverless
                          > car a reality. It may even become illegal to drive the
                          > car yourself for safety reasons.
                          >
                          > Essentially these systems bypass the logic that would
                          > be required for human like visual data to determine
                          > the distance of objects (surfaces).
                          >
                          > As I don't have a LIDAR handy I will have to do
                          > without one for the time being.
                          >
                          > My current challenge is to change how I attach the
                          > Roomba motors (the base is pulling to the left) and
                          > find a suitable h-bridge circuit using the MOSFETS
                          > I got on the weekend to replace the relay control
                          > circuit.
                          >
                          > F9540N P-CHANNEL
                          > IRF540 N-CHANNEL

                        • jamericanfreddy
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
                            360 PAN IS VERY USEFUL in navigation ,main reason can tell if a object is in back of the robot or on the sides

                            --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

                            > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
                            > > USING a laser line and camera is a old design
                            > > KINECT camera uses the same design only little higher accuracy
                            >
                            > http://users.dickinson.edu/~jmac/selected-talks/kinect.pdf
                            >
                            > > Over 2 years ago i made the laser line/camera design and it
                            > > kinda work ok
                            > >
                            > > KINECT and laser line design has 4 major drawbacks
                            > >
                            > > 1 is large size
                            > > 2 high current 12 volts at 1.2 amps and 430 ma at 5 volts
                            > > 3 is both take a lot of video resources and memory
                            > > 4 not omni-directional 360 pan
                            >
                            > Human vision is not omni-directional either and that
                            > would be a great advantage in driving a car. It would
                            > much easier to decide what to do next while driving
                            > if you could view it all from above as in video games.
                            >
                            > > LIDAR LASER design has the highest accuracy and very
                            > > low current at 5 volt usb about 400 ma and is
                            > > omni-directional 360 pan plus small size.
                            >
                            > And combined with radar will probably make the driverless
                            > car a reality. It may even become illegal to drive the
                            > car yourself for safety reasons.
                            >
                            > Essentially these systems bypass the logic that would
                            > be required for human like visual data to determine
                            > the distance of objects (surfaces).
                            >
                            > As I don't have a LIDAR handy I will have to do
                            > without one for the time being.
                            >
                            > My current challenge is to change how I attach the
                            > Roomba motors (the base is pulling to the left) and
                            > find a suitable h-bridge circuit using the MOSFETS
                            > I got on the weekend to replace the relay control
                            > circuit.
                            >
                            > F9540N P-CHANNEL
                            > IRF540 N-CHANNEL

                          • jgkjcasey
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 22, 2013
                              --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" wrote:
                              > KINECT is very cool i own 5 of them on using one on my
                              > ROOMBA robot and have another on a roomba ROS ROBOT

                              I notice Dave Shinsel's Loki now sports a KINECT which
                              is apparently used instead of the web cams for locating
                              objects.

                              > ONE on my roomba design robot i am using ROBOREALM
                              > software not shore if i am using one on my WHITE
                              > BOX 914 PC BOT or might use one of my NEATO XV-11
                              > LIDAR

                              And what behaviors do you plan to implement with
                              your Roomba robot using RoboRealm? I am thinking
                              of giving RoboRealm another look even if I only
                              use it to access the webcams. I have been using
                              escapi.dll to experiment with visual programs.

                              I have to work within my limitations when it comes
                              to electronics and programming. Shinsel's robots for
                              example requires above hobby level programming
                              abilities "expect that you need good Visual Studio
                              understanding to get it working." I am limited to
                              low level programming languages such as Assembler,
                              BASIC and C.

                              I have dumped the attempt at using the Roomba motors
                              and am back working on the old robot base although
                              it is somewhat overpowered in the motor department.