Re: Want to build a robot using parts from a robot vacuum cleaner

  • jamericanfreddy
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 14, 2013
      if its a clone pretty easy to hook to the microprocessor
      will find the data on it

      Most have a connection comming from the main board that has 6 pin din (sci port) and charging port ,its a long set of wires with connectors on the end

      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Clark <dlc@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > >> voltage that the connector put out (way more than 5V!) and you could do
      > >> all you wanted from the serial port connector to the plain-ol Roomba.
      > >> Here is where you can get the straight dope, right from iRobot, they are
      > >> pretty coy about it, so Googling for this often fails, but if you go
      > >> here, and search for these, you will find them:
      > >>
      > >> /iRobot Roomba Serial Command Interface (SCI) Specification/
      > >>
      > >> /iRobot Create OPEN INTERFACE/
      > >>
      > >> /iRobot Create OWNERS GUIDE/
      > >>
      > >> /iRobot Command Module OWNERS MANUAL/
      > >>
      > >> Go hunting at http://www.irobot.com.
      > >
      > > This is the product I bought and dismantled.
      > > http://www.godfreys.com.au/vacuum-cleaners/types/robot/superhero-robot-cleaner
      > >
      > > It does not come with a serial interface.
      > >
      > > The two issues I had with the motors was not being able to use the h-bridge circuit integrated into the mother board and not knowing which two wires went to the infrared transmitter LED and which two wires went to the diode receiver used in the encoder. I ruined the mother board trying to remove the motor drive transistors with the intention of using them to make two h-bridge circuits I could control. Now it will have to wait until I can get to a Jaycar store six hours drive away to buy the components required. Probably I should have spent more time finding a place on the mother to inject pulses into the board to turn the h-bridge on/off which I assume would be at the base of some transistor. Here is the actual mother board used.
      > >
      > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_snaps/4867062859/
      > >
      > > My current robot is controlled by a little DELL laptop using a K8085 interface to turn the 24volt window wiper motors on/off and reverse their direction. Jaycar the only electronics outlet in Australia that you can physically visit doesn't sell h-bridges for such motors and the power requirements are greater than the simple h-bridge required for the little motors used in the vacuum robot. As a result the big robot base doesn't have the fine motor control I would like. Dead reckoning is limited to timing how long the motors are turned on/off. I have been using FreeBasic for the software and can capture and process images using the laptop's inbuilt camera for visual feedback. I use a wireless keyboard to send commands to the robot. At this stage all it does is carry out programmed sequences of movements (by turning the motors on and off) chosen by commands from a wireless keyboard. It has been sitting idle for five years as I had other things more important to work on but would still like to get a robot up and running.
      > >

      > >> There is a Mr. Roboto article on this in the January 2013 Servo, March
      > >> and April has some more on it.
      > >
      > > Ok I will try and find a copy the magazine is not sold here so I am unable to access it at this stage but if it is about using the create iRobot with a serial port I don't have that robot.

    • jgkjcasey
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 14, 2013
        Hi Dennis,

        It appears I will not be turning it into a robot project
        instead it will be going into the electronic junk bin.

        The microcontroller is an AVR ARM MCU RAM DRAM

        STC 90C58RD+
        40I-PDIP40
        1243C3G49 C

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmel_AVR

        There are four LM324N each with 4 op amps (16 op amps total)
        which are probably used with the proximity sensors.

        John

      • jgkjcasey
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 14, 2013
          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@...> wrote:

          > if its a clone pretty easy to hook to the microprocessor
          > will find the data on it

          All I have is a multimeter and a soldering iron and
          some basic self taught knowledge in electronics so
          I am limited as to what I can do when it comes to
          hacking circuits.

          > Most have a connection comming from the main board that has 6 pin din (sci port) and charging port ,its a long set of wires with connectors on the end

          I have looked carefully over the circuit boards and
          cannot find anything that might be a 6 pin sci port.

          John
        • Dennis Clark
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 14, 2013
            Oh don't do that! Those motor-wheel combos are really good!

            DLC
            --
            Dennis Clark
            While traveling

            On Jul 14, 2013, at 1:25 PM, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

> [...]
            >>>
            >>> Ok I will try and find a copy the magazine is not sold here so I am unable to access it at this stage but if it is about using the create iRobot with a serial port I don't have that robot.

          • jamericanfreddy
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 15, 2013
              Dont trash it.
              i can easy check the cpu and boards i have and find TX and RX pins for it

              besides repairing them i build robots with them,i easy have over 20 roomba's

              second i can easy sell you a board

              AND using the motors by its self you can easy hook up to h-bridge and your choice of CPU

              Also made changes to the design to have high torque and second battery design

              --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

              > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
              > >
              > > if its a clone pretty easy to hook to the microprocessor
              > > will find the data on it
              >
              > All I have is a multimeter and a soldering iron and
              > some basic self taught knowledge in electronics so
              > I am limited as to what I can do when it comes to
              > hacking circuits.
              >
              > > Most have a connection comming from the main board that has 6 pin din (sci port) and charging port ,its a long set of wires with connectors on the end
              >
              > I have looked carefully over the circuit boards and
              > cannot find anything that might be a 6 pin sci port.
              >
              > John

            • jgkjcasey
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 15, 2013
                --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@...> wrote:

                > Dont trash it.
                > i can easy check the cpu and boards i have and find
                > TX and RX pins for it
                >
                > besides repairing them i build robots with them, I
                > easy have over 20 roomba's
                >
                > second i can easy sell you a board
                >
                > AND using the motors by its self you can easy hook
                > up to h-bridge and your choice of CPU
                >
                > Also made changes to the design to have high torque
                > and second battery design

                Everything is still intact and I would be interested
                in what you have done so far.

                Do you have a webpage?

                The mother board I have seems identical to this one.

                http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_snaps/4867062859/

                I think I have located the mother board's trigger
                transistors to the h-bridge but haven't had time
                to test them yet.

                On my larger robot I use a small DELL laptop (9x7 inches)
                and K8085 to control relays that in turn control the
                motor direction and turn them on or off (jerky movement).

                The reason for the PC is vision and ease of programming.

                The K8085 can provide Pulse Width Modulation for two motors
                and two of its eight outputs can provide direction signals
                to a h bridge.

                I also found a hack which provided details on how to make
                use of the motor encoders and the cliff sensor array.

                http://atlanta-robotics.com/uploads/The_Robot_Rally_Reborn_Roomba.pdf

                John
              • jgkjcasey
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 24, 2013
                  --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

                  > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Dont trash it.
                  > > i can easy check the cpu and boards i have and find
                  > > TX and RX pins for it
                  > >
                  > > besides repairing them i build robots with them, I
                  > > easy have over 20 roomba's
                  > >
                  > > second i can easy sell you a board
                  > >
                  > > AND using the motors by its self you can easy hook
                  > > up to h-bridge and your choice of CPU
                  > >
                  > > Also made changes to the design to have high torque
                  > > and second battery design
                  >
                  > Everything is still intact and I would be interested
                  > in what you have done so far.
                  >
                  > Do you have a webpage?

                  No response from jamericanfreddy? Oh well.

                  Just an update of the AU$100 Chinese Roomba clone which I was hacking to make may own robot base to control with laptop and K8055 i/o board. Unfortunately it didn't come with a serial port like the iRobot creative.

                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_snaps/4867062859/in/photostream/

                  Looking at the image above you should see a small silver disc area at the top/left of the crystal tin which is itself at the top/left of the controller chip near pins 20,19,18. This is, I think, a ground point for a +5v supply to the controller chip. You can make a pin go high by connecting a wire between this point and the pin.

                  The controller chip is numbered like this:

                  20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
                  | |
                  | STC C
                  | |
                  21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 45 36 37 38 39 40

                  pin 20 is ground and pin 40 is +5v (I think)

                  Pin 5 will turn a drive motor one way and pin 4 will turn a drive motor the other way. The same for the other motor with pins 21 and 22

                  pin 7 will run the side sweeper motor but if it is unplugged it will run the vacuum motor so there must be more than one pin involved in the coding.

                  pin 26 will run the main brush motor.

                  I still have to figure out if I can use the pins to detect sensor data from the front bumper, downward looking sensors and side sensor.

                  John
                • jamericanfreddy
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 25, 2013
                    no webpage yet

                    n the photo it looks just like roomba board and most likely the same chip
                    WISH i had your board in front of me would be easy
                    STRANGE is doesnt have SCI serial port for updating the firmware on the chip

                    --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

                    > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Dont trash it.
                    > > > i can easy check the cpu and boards i have and find
                    > > > TX and RX pins for it
                    > > >
                    > > > besides repairing them i build robots with them, I
                    > > > easy have over 20 roomba's
                    > > >
                    > > > second i can easy sell you a board
                    > > >
                    > > > AND using the motors by its self you can easy hook
                    > > > up to h-bridge and your choice of CPU
                    > > >
                    > > > Also made changes to the design to have high torque
                    > > > and second battery design
                    > >
                    > > Everything is still intact and I would be interested
                    > > in what you have done so far.
                    > >
                    > > Do you have a webpage?
                    >
                    > No response from jamericanfreddy? Oh well.
                    >
                    > Just an update of the AU$100 Chinese Roomba clone which I was hacking to make may own robot base to control with laptop and K8055 i/o board. Unfortunately it didn't come with a serial port like the iRobot creative.
                    >
                    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_snaps/4867062859/in/photostream/
                    >
                    > Looking at the image above you should see a small silver disc area at the top/left of the crystal tin which is itself at the top/left of the controller chip near pins 20,19,18. This is, I think, a ground point for a +5v supply to the controller chip. You can make a pin go high by connecting a wire between this point and the pin.
                    >
                    > The controller chip is numbered like this:
                    >
                    > 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
                    > | |
                    > | STC C
                    > | |
                    > 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 45 36 37 38 39 40
                    >
                    > pin 20 is ground and pin 40 is +5v (I think)
                    >
                    > Pin 5 will turn a drive motor one way and pin 4 will turn a drive motor the other way. The same for the other motor with pins 21 and 22
                    >
                    > pin 7 will run the side sweeper motor but if it is unplugged it will run the vacuum motor so there must be more than one pin involved in the coding.
                    >
                    > pin 26 will run the main brush motor.
                    >
                    > I still have to figure out if I can use the pins to detect sensor data from the front bumper, downward looking sensors and side sensor.
                    >
                    > John

                  • jgkjcasey
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 25, 2013
                      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@...> wrote:

                      > no webpage yet
                      >
                      > n the photo it looks just like roomba board
                      > and most likely the same chip WISH i had your
                      > board in front of me would be easy STRANGE is
                      > doesnt have SCI serial port for updating the
                      > firmware on the chip

                      This is I think the type of chip being used as
                      the pins seem to fit what I see on the board.

                      http://www.futurlec.com/Atmel/AT89C51.shtml