Re: [SeattleRobotics] Re: Want to build a robot using parts from a robot vacuum cleaner

  • Dennis Clark
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 13, 2013
      Interesting. That is clearly a Roomba, OEM'd as another product. I had heard that there was a version without a SCI port and this could be it.

      Roomba's have drop sensors on the drive wheels and the back wheel. Each of the drive wheels has an optical interrupter disc that delivers pulses to determine wheel velocity feedback. There are three or four down looking proximity detectors in the front and a modulated IR wall follower sensor. I am not sure of the specifics of the electrical interfaces to these sensors.

      These motors use an 18V or so input and based on the battery life, they pull hefty current. I suggest MOSFET bridges for drivers to get decent efficiency from the drive.

      Good luck!
      DLC
      --
      Dennis Clark
      While traveling

      On Jul 13, 2013, at 4:09 PM, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >>
      >> /iRobot Roomba Serial Command Interface (SCI) Specification/
      >>
      >> /iRobot Create OPEN INTERFACE/
      >>
      >> /iRobot Create OWNERS GUIDE/
      >>
      >> /iRobot Command Module OWNERS MANUAL/
      >>
      >> Go hunting at http://www.irobot.com.
      >
      > This is the product I bought and dismantled.
      > http://www.godfreys.com.au/vacuum-cleaners/types/robot/superhero-robot-cleaner
      >
      > It does not come with a serial interface.
      >
      > The two issues I had with the motors was not being able to use the h-bridge circuit integrated into the mother board and not knowing which two wires went to the infrared transmitter LED and which two wires went to the diode receiver used in the encoder. I ruined the mother board trying to remove the motor drive transistors with the intention of using them to make two h-bridge circuits I could control. Now it will have to wait until I can get to a Jaycar store six hours drive away to buy the components required. Probably I should have spent more time finding a place on the mother to inject pulses into the board to turn the h-bridge on/off which I assume would be at the base of some transistor. Here is the actual mother board used.
      >
      > http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_snaps/4867062859/
      >
      > My current robot is controlled by a little DELL laptop using a K8085 interface to turn the 24volt window wiper motors on/off and reverse their direction. Jaycar the only electronics outlet in Australia that you can physically visit doesn't sell h-bridges for such motors and the power requirements are greater than the simple h-bridge required for the little motors used in the vacuum robot. As a result the big robot base doesn't have the fine motor control I would like. Dead reckoning is limited to timing how long the motors are turned on/off. I have been using FreeBasic for the software and can capture and process images using the laptop's inbuilt camera for visual feedback. I use a wireless keyboard to send commands to the robot. At this stage all it does is carry out programmed sequences of movements (by turning the motors on and off) chosen by commands from a wireless keyboard. It has been sitting idle for five years as I had other things more important to work on but would still like to get a robot up and running.
      >

      >> There is a Mr. Roboto article on this in the January 2013 Servo, March
      >> and April has some more on it.
      >
      > Ok I will try and find a copy the magazine is not sold here so I am unable to access it at this stage but if it is about using the create iRobot with a serial port I don't have that robot.
      >
      > Thank you for your feedback.
      >

      > John
      >

      >> DLC

      >>> It is the create iRobot that has the port for programmers not the cheap Chinese clone I bought for $100.
      >>>
      >>> Yes I have googled the so called hacks but none had electronic information I needed make use of the sensors on the robot or make use of the motor drive circuits.

    • jamericanfreddy
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 14, 2013
        any of the roomba models has SCI port,some you need update the firmware on it

        CHECK roborealm it has a interface to both 4000 and 5000 seies using the SCI port

        if you look on the side of the vacuum cleaner there is a port that looks like a PS2 connection ,it has RX and tx connection

        I can find the SCI manual for roomba models and they have another manual for the CREATE model also

        they use about the same board only a few less connections

        I design robots using the ROOMBA FRAME and board,it has navigation and return to home base and lot more from SCI commands

        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

        > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
        > >
        > > There is a lot of hack info on the internet for IROBOT ROOMBA its has SCI command and port to control it
        >
        > It is the create iRobot that has the port for programmers not the cheap Chinese clone I bought for $100.
        >
        > Yes I have googled the so called hacks but none had electronic information I needed make use of the sensors on the robot or make use of the motor drive circuits.
        >
        > John

      • jamericanfreddy
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 14, 2013
          if its a clone pretty easy to hook to the microprocessor
          will find the data on it

          Most have a connection comming from the main board that has 6 pin din (sci port) and charging port ,its a long set of wires with connectors on the end

          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Clark <dlc@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >

          > >> There is a Mr. Roboto article on this in the January 2013 Servo, March
          > >> and April has some more on it.
          > >
          > > Ok I will try and find a copy the magazine is not sold here so I am unable to access it at this stage but if it is about using the create iRobot with a serial port I don't have that robot.

        • jgkjcasey
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 14, 2013
            Hi Dennis,

            It appears I will not be turning it into a robot project
            instead it will be going into the electronic junk bin.

            The microcontroller is an AVR ARM MCU RAM DRAM

            STC 90C58RD+
            40I-PDIP40
            1243C3G49 C

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmel_AVR

            There are four LM324N each with 4 op amps (16 op amps total)
            which are probably used with the proximity sensors.

            John

          • jgkjcasey
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 14, 2013
              --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@...> wrote:

              > if its a clone pretty easy to hook to the microprocessor
              > will find the data on it

              All I have is a multimeter and a soldering iron and
              some basic self taught knowledge in electronics so
              I am limited as to what I can do when it comes to
              hacking circuits.

              > Most have a connection comming from the main board that has 6 pin din (sci port) and charging port ,its a long set of wires with connectors on the end

              I have looked carefully over the circuit boards and
              cannot find anything that might be a 6 pin sci port.

              John
            • Dennis Clark
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 14, 2013
                Oh don't do that! Those motor-wheel combos are really good!

                DLC
                --
                Dennis Clark
                While traveling

                On Jul 14, 2013, at 1:25 PM, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

> [...]
                >>>
                >>> Ok I will try and find a copy the magazine is not sold here so I am unable to access it at this stage but if it is about using the create iRobot with a serial port I don't have that robot.

              • jamericanfreddy
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 15, 2013
                  Dont trash it.
                  i can easy check the cpu and boards i have and find TX and RX pins for it

                  besides repairing them i build robots with them,i easy have over 20 roomba's

                  second i can easy sell you a board

                  AND using the motors by its self you can easy hook up to h-bridge and your choice of CPU

                  Also made changes to the design to have high torque and second battery design

                  --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

                  > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > if its a clone pretty easy to hook to the microprocessor
                  > > will find the data on it
                  >
                  > All I have is a multimeter and a soldering iron and
                  > some basic self taught knowledge in electronics so
                  > I am limited as to what I can do when it comes to
                  > hacking circuits.
                  >
                  > > Most have a connection comming from the main board that has 6 pin din (sci port) and charging port ,its a long set of wires with connectors on the end
                  >
                  > I have looked carefully over the circuit boards and
                  > cannot find anything that might be a 6 pin sci port.
                  >
                  > John

                • jgkjcasey
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 15, 2013
                    --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@...> wrote:

                    > Dont trash it.
                    > i can easy check the cpu and boards i have and find
                    > TX and RX pins for it
                    >
                    > besides repairing them i build robots with them, I
                    > easy have over 20 roomba's
                    >
                    > second i can easy sell you a board
                    >
                    > AND using the motors by its self you can easy hook
                    > up to h-bridge and your choice of CPU
                    >
                    > Also made changes to the design to have high torque
                    > and second battery design

                    Everything is still intact and I would be interested
                    in what you have done so far.

                    Do you have a webpage?

                    The mother board I have seems identical to this one.

                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_snaps/4867062859/

                    I think I have located the mother board's trigger
                    transistors to the h-bridge but haven't had time
                    to test them yet.

                    On my larger robot I use a small DELL laptop (9x7 inches)
                    and K8085 to control relays that in turn control the
                    motor direction and turn them on or off (jerky movement).

                    The reason for the PC is vision and ease of programming.

                    The K8085 can provide Pulse Width Modulation for two motors
                    and two of its eight outputs can provide direction signals
                    to a h bridge.

                    I also found a hack which provided details on how to make
                    use of the motor encoders and the cliff sensor array.

                    http://atlanta-robotics.com/uploads/The_Robot_Rally_Reborn_Roomba.pdf

                    John
                  • jgkjcasey
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 24, 2013
                      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

                      > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Dont trash it.
                      > > i can easy check the cpu and boards i have and find
                      > > TX and RX pins for it
                      > >
                      > > besides repairing them i build robots with them, I
                      > > easy have over 20 roomba's
                      > >
                      > > second i can easy sell you a board
                      > >
                      > > AND using the motors by its self you can easy hook
                      > > up to h-bridge and your choice of CPU
                      > >
                      > > Also made changes to the design to have high torque
                      > > and second battery design
                      >
                      > Everything is still intact and I would be interested
                      > in what you have done so far.
                      >
                      > Do you have a webpage?

                      No response from jamericanfreddy? Oh well.

                      Just an update of the AU$100 Chinese Roomba clone which I was hacking to make may own robot base to control with laptop and K8055 i/o board. Unfortunately it didn't come with a serial port like the iRobot creative.

                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_snaps/4867062859/in/photostream/

                      Looking at the image above you should see a small silver disc area at the top/left of the crystal tin which is itself at the top/left of the controller chip near pins 20,19,18. This is, I think, a ground point for a +5v supply to the controller chip. You can make a pin go high by connecting a wire between this point and the pin.

                      The controller chip is numbered like this:

                      20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
                      | |
                      | STC C
                      | |
                      21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 45 36 37 38 39 40

                      pin 20 is ground and pin 40 is +5v (I think)

                      Pin 5 will turn a drive motor one way and pin 4 will turn a drive motor the other way. The same for the other motor with pins 21 and 22

                      pin 7 will run the side sweeper motor but if it is unplugged it will run the vacuum motor so there must be more than one pin involved in the coding.

                      pin 26 will run the main brush motor.

                      I still have to figure out if I can use the pins to detect sensor data from the front bumper, downward looking sensors and side sensor.

                      John
                    • jamericanfreddy
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 25, 2013
                        no webpage yet

                        n the photo it looks just like roomba board and most likely the same chip
                        WISH i had your board in front of me would be easy
                        STRANGE is doesnt have SCI serial port for updating the firmware on the chip

                        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@...> wrote:

                        > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jgkjcasey" <jgkjcasey@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Dont trash it.
                        > > > i can easy check the cpu and boards i have and find
                        > > > TX and RX pins for it
                        > > >
                        > > > besides repairing them i build robots with them, I
                        > > > easy have over 20 roomba's
                        > > >
                        > > > second i can easy sell you a board
                        > > >
                        > > > AND using the motors by its self you can easy hook
                        > > > up to h-bridge and your choice of CPU
                        > > >
                        > > > Also made changes to the design to have high torque
                        > > > and second battery design
                        > >
                        > > Everything is still intact and I would be interested
                        > > in what you have done so far.
                        > >
                        > > Do you have a webpage?
                        >
                        > No response from jamericanfreddy? Oh well.
                        >
                        > Just an update of the AU$100 Chinese Roomba clone which I was hacking to make may own robot base to control with laptop and K8055 i/o board. Unfortunately it didn't come with a serial port like the iRobot creative.
                        >
                        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_snaps/4867062859/in/photostream/
                        >
                        > Looking at the image above you should see a small silver disc area at the top/left of the crystal tin which is itself at the top/left of the controller chip near pins 20,19,18. This is, I think, a ground point for a +5v supply to the controller chip. You can make a pin go high by connecting a wire between this point and the pin.
                        >
                        > The controller chip is numbered like this:
                        >
                        > 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
                        > | |
                        > | STC C
                        > | |
                        > 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 45 36 37 38 39 40
                        >
                        > pin 20 is ground and pin 40 is +5v (I think)
                        >
                        > Pin 5 will turn a drive motor one way and pin 4 will turn a drive motor the other way. The same for the other motor with pins 21 and 22
                        >
                        > pin 7 will run the side sweeper motor but if it is unplugged it will run the vacuum motor so there must be more than one pin involved in the coding.
                        >
                        > pin 26 will run the main brush motor.
                        >
                        > I still have to figure out if I can use the pins to detect sensor data from the front bumper, downward looking sensors and side sensor.
                        >
                        > John

                      • jgkjcasey
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 25, 2013
                          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@...> wrote:

                          > no webpage yet
                          >
                          > n the photo it looks just like roomba board
                          > and most likely the same chip WISH i had your
                          > board in front of me would be easy STRANGE is
                          > doesnt have SCI serial port for updating the
                          > firmware on the chip

                          This is I think the type of chip being used as
                          the pins seem to fit what I see on the board.

                          http://www.futurlec.com/Atmel/AT89C51.shtml