Re: [SeattleRobotics] ATX motherboard running off 12V battery?

  • Bruce J Weimer MD
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 15, 2013
      Lucas,

      I've built my own version of a ROS Turtlebot using a 12V 12AH SLA battery
      and this automotive DC to DC converter:

      http://store.mp3car.com/Mp3Car_DSATX_p/pwr-023.htm

      The converter outputs regulated 12V, 5V and 3.3V. I use the regulated power
      from the converter to run a Kinect, a powered USB hub, my electronics and
      the bot's drive motors. I have a laptop on top of the bot running on it's
      own internal battery - but of course this converter was intended to run a
      car computer... so no reason that you shouldn't be able to make that work.

      There are other similar DC to DC converters out there - but really cheap
      ones may not hold up for long... so I spent a few bucks and I've been happy
      with this product.

      Dr. Bruce.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
        A big thanks to you and everyone else who replied for the links. These will be very helpful and get me what I need.

        Luke