need help finding this Fembot

  • robotMaker
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 37 KB
    I've searched the web, and cannot find any more details of this Fembot. If anyone knows anything, any hints will help.

    I looked in here: http://www.androidworld.com/prod10.htm but found nothing.

    Thanx

    Cesar

  • David Buckley
    Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2013
      Mark
      Thanks so much for the link.

      Joe's Babe or Electra is based on my two servo Bigfoot design even down to the shape of the feet and ankle plates.
      Only Joe'sBabe is a lot bigger. Bigfoot is only 9 inches tall.

      Now back in the early 2000s Bandele Jeffrey-Coker created BigBrother (to Parallax's Toddler - again based on Bigfoot). http://www.davidbuckley.net/DB/inspired/Others.htm#BigBrother
      I don't know whether he managed to get it working because the servos were really too weak.

      Back then I wondered how big you could go and did Joe'sBabe manage to walk, so it was great to see the video.

      In 2009 I created Strider, a 3 foot high version, for some filming for a TV pilot. but one servo for the stride wasn't enough. After trying various motor/gearbox combinations, eventually in 2011 I fitted one TowerPro 9805 to each leg which together with the Hitec 805 for the tilt enable Strider to walk.
      There is a Youtube video linked from that page.
      Recently I got a lot of the cheap Chinese HC-SR04 ultrasonic sensors which work fine and when I get time I intend to put some on Strider.
      It is easy enough to make, big enough to carry quite a few sensors and using TowerPro9805 servos it hasn't cost much and probably would make a good school project since it is not 3/8" CNC'd aluminium plate but jigsaw'd plywood sprayed silver.
      Using a 40pin PicAxe40X2 it will be easy to fit a good number of sensors and an IR remote control.

      DAvid

      Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9, 2013
        Thanx Dave, I knew that you would come through. I've been to your site before and it's always a source of inspiration. And thanx Mark for the link. Watching Joe's video of the Fembot walking, makes me wonder what motivated him to do it, when he's already got a real FemBot, and she's cooking lunch. He also seems to like to make use of the Rhino Robots from the 1980's.

        This is my autonomous carpet walkingBot ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/96504930@N02 ) that I mentioned in a previous post. I finally solved most of the mechanical problems, but still have some Basic Interpreter Android app problems to solve.

        My walkingBot hardware is very simple, it doesn't need an Arduino or any controller, or servos, in my case, it would an overkill, a waste of time and money. Instead I will be using a Basic app in an Android Smart phone to control a motor controller via bluetooth. The bluetooth module is from dealExtreme.com ( http://dx.com/p/wireless-bluetooth-rs232-ttl-transceiver-module-80711 ) and the DC motor controller is from pololu.com ( http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1110 ). I'm using four DC motors for my walkingBot, the main motor provides locomotion, the second motor, steering and the two other smaller motors for panning and tilting the camera, which is of course is inside the Android cellphone, which means that I'm actually panning and tilting the Android Smart phone. With the Android Basic App I have access to the camera, accelerometer, compass and so forth. As of now I do not plan on using the GPS or Wifi built into the Android Smart phone. The Smart phone doesn't have a service contract, since none is needed, and it's used and cheap, ($20) on Ebay.

        In closing it seems to me that there's a common problem with most robot builders, and I can see it in Joe's FemBot, and that there always seems to be a bad driver-driven load mismatch in the designs. There seems to mostly always too little torque in the mechanical drivers.

        Once near finished with my autonomous carpet walkingBot, then I will add it to the rest of my unfinished bots and start on the next one, .... probably one like Joes FemBot.

        Thanx again

        Cesar

        Joe's Babe or Electra is based on my two servo Bigfoot design even down to the shape of the feet and ankle plates.
        http://www.davidbuckley.net/DB/BigFoot.htm

        http://www.davidbuckley.net/DB/Strider/Strider.htm
        There is a Youtube video linked from that page.
        Recently I got a lot of the cheap Chinese HC-SR04 ultrasonic sensors which work fine and when I get time I intend to put some on Strider.
        It is easy enough to make, big enough to carry quite a few sensors and using TowerPro9805 servos it hasn't cost much and probably would make a good school project since it is not 3/8" CNC'd aluminium plate but jigsaw'd plywood sprayed silver.
        Using a 40pin PicAxe40X2 it will be easy to fit a good number of sensors and an IR remote control.

        DAvid

        On 6/8/2013 2:22 PM, David Buckley wrote:

        Hi Cesar
        The original website has long gone but here
        http://www.davidbuckley.net/DB/inspired/Joe%27sShopBigFoot.htm
        is a 2004 cache of the original page which is linked off my Inspirations page
        http://www.davidbuckley.net/DB/Inspire.htm#JoesBabe

        Message 4 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
          Hi Cesar
          I just looked at your Carpetbot but I can't really see how you do the turning. Be interesting to see a video of it stomping along.
          How do you know the travel of the motors? Have you got limit switches?
          About the Android controller what Basic app are you using? RFO-BASIC! ?
          DAvid

          Message 5 of 5 , Jun 15, 2013
            Hello David:

            The turning is simple, while it has a leg up, it pivots the leg or foot, since it's all one piece, leg-foot. When the foot comes down, the foot is now at an angle, and the other leg-foot goes up, the leg that pivoted, ( now holding all the weight) it un-pivots. Only one leg can pivot, the other leg moves up and down. I'm still working on the software, and not ready to video yet. I've tested the mechanics manually.

            As for the the Android Basic, both the RFO.Basic and the Mintoris.Basic both fall short of my needs. But I think that I got it, and will use both. The Mintoris (if you go to their forum at http://www.mintoris.com/forum/index.php) you can see my posts, under the Bluetooth topic. Mintoris does not yet have Audio input commands or the Restart command, but RFO.Basic does, but it crashes when I use Bluetooth on my Android Smartphone. I should add that both RFO.Basic and Mintoris.Basic have access to all the sensors in the Android Smart phone, including camera, but not the mike for Mintoris.Basic.

            I sort of have limit switches, I can control the step, I can do one step at a time. I turn on the locomotion motor and it will stop itself about half way, then I turn on the other motor and it will finish the other half  of the step and stop itself. This will be my "odometer".