a personal robot project in ft lewis

  • warrenchris82
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013
      so me and my friend decided to build a robot for fun over the next few years and i used to be in to robotics back in school but it has been a while and was wondering for starters if anyone knew were i could get some advice for writeing the program or advice on how to do it any help would be appriciated and i will go in to more details once there is some intrest thanks guys
    • Erik Knise
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013
        Can you give us some more information? What is it going to do?

        As for programming it depends on what type of processor or board you use.  Or if you are controlling it from a personal computer or laptop.  The list of possible hardware is extremely long and it depends a lot on what your project is.

        --
        Erik L. Knise
        Seattle, WA

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013
          well it is going to be an attempt at a mech. style robot is the best way to discribe it that i can think of with-out posting schematics and pictures of our design ideas. basicly it will be very indepth and detailed but he and i have lots of time on our hands.so any ideas on a starting point for the programing or software. he is the guy who knows more about processors and such but i am looking to learn about that aspect for the controls it will be from a personal computer not a laptop and eventually be built to run by joysticks...im aware that this could be considered childish or far fetched but hey no one evr got any were with out trying the impossible so any advice would be accepted and i can answer more questions as the come up and cant wait for everyones input thanks.

          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Erik Knise <elknise@...> wrote:

          > Can you give us some more information? What is it going to do?
          >
          > As for programming it depends on what type of processor or board you use.
          > Or if you are controlling it from a personal computer or laptop. The list
          > of possible hardware is extremely long and it depends a lot on what your
          > project is.
          >
          > --
          > Erik L. Knise
          > Seattle, WA
          >

          > On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM, warrenchris82 <warrenchris82@...>wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > so me and my friend decided to build a robot for fun over the next few
          > > years and i used to be in to robotics back in school but it has been a
          > > while and was wondering for starters if anyone knew were i could get some
          > > advice for writeing the program or advice on how to do it any help would be
          > > appriciated and i will go in to more details once there is some intrest
          > > thanks guys

        • Will Smith
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 22, 2013
            Hi!
              I am pretty sure the best place for you guys to start would be with a kit, instead of trying to tackle the entire project from scratch. Even with a kit, I'm sure you will run into quite a few challenges that you may not have anticipated. The kits that have been released in the past few years are excellent learning tools, with great online communities for support when you are troubleshooting.

              I don't have direct experience with many of the kits other than the Vex (which is pretty expensive, but very flexible and has a HUGE community) and the Parallax Boe-bot (which is a simple robot that might not appeal to you, but is fun in its own right.) Of course, there's always the excellent Lego NXT, which is hardly a mere toy! Maybe pick up an issue of Robot magazine and take a look through the ads. I've seen some awesome Mech warfare robots in the magazine too (airsoft cannons in miniature scale cities; http://robogames.net/rules/mech-wars.php)

             Just something that I'd say is worth considering. (If you want to get started for "free" then you could give ROS with the Gazebo simulator a try. But the learning curve is steep, and it really isn't well suited (yet) to the beginner. Theoretically you could design and test your robot entirely on your PC without buying a single part or even stepping outside!)