Re: [SeattleRobotics] [OT] Aarrrggg I think my laptop is dead

  • KM6VV
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 5, 2013
      How about just installing XP Pro, or another release you like? Then you
      can order the laptop without an OS. Or install Linux. Not very
      wizzy-wizzy, but can run a lot of basic things. I gave up on trying to
      recover an older IBM laptop from a virus, and just installed Ubuntu on
      it. Of course, I'm doing ROS for my robot project. I installed Ubuntu
      and ROS on a mini-ITX for my 'bot, and right now, it's running next to
      my main XP Pro workstation. Didn't have to buy a Windoz OS disk! I
      have Win7 Pro on the laptop that was purchased to replaced the crashed
      IBM. Not bad. I would have chosen XP Pro again, but it wasn't
      available on the mail order a few years ago.

      Alan KM6VV

      On 3/5/2013 12:08 PM, Randy M. Dumse wrote:

      > A suggestion, go somewhere very private, and cry like a little baby for
      > about a day. When you come out of it, thank God for his grace of leaving
      > you with your hard drive. Then spend the next month trying to become
      > operational on a new laptop.
      >
      > Or at least that was my solution. It accounts for not hearing much from
      > me in the last two months.
      >
      > You have to make a very serious decision. Do you want to go to Windows 8
      > or not. Your decision and yours alone. I did, and it is a disaster.
      > Utter disaster. Microsoft is trying to market Win8 as intuitive. It’s
      > only intuitive in the sense if you know nothing about windows, you are
      > better prepared to succeed than if you are a seasoned user. Everything
      > you’ve learned works against you.
      >
      > If you don’t feel the need to move to the bleeding edge, get Win7Pro and
      > wait for Microsoft to either fail or fix this disaster. I’m guessing
      > fail by self-immolation the more likely. In which case, learning Win8 is
      > a waste of time. Better to go to something else. I’m still slugging it
      > out and trying to become functional in the new windows… and hating it.
      >
      > What kind of issues? Every edge of the screen has a new function. So you
      > get “help” popping up when you least want it. Every corner of the screen
      > has overloaded functions so you get “icons” popping up when you least
      > want them. Nothing closes. You have to trick things into shutting down
      > and freeing your memory and your CPU(s). The start is a screen full of
      > annoying squares doing things you don’t want, and probably don’t want to
      > be distracted by if you are a serious user. You may not want the stock
      > market results just because you want to open an app. Tough. There it is,
      > rotating with the latest new about North Korean, pictures for Rio, the
      > Eiffel Tower, Sand Bridge, and pictures of your family while you’re
      > trying to concentrate on work instead. Etc. Etc. Etc.
      >
      > If you don’t know this trick, look up Windows Easy Transfer. I used it,
      > moved data, and undid it. Data remained, and I’ve been limping along in
      > the resultant bastardize state of recovered. No contacts, no old email,
      > barely functional, still trying. But as Adam Smith said of lotteries,
      > “Hope springs eternal”.
      >
      > Good luck,
      >
      > Randy

    • Pat Tressel
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 6, 2013
        Pete --

        Dead motherboard.  You've already tried the full discharge trick, which is what I was going to suggest.  What model is it?  I suppose it's not under warranty...

        I'm asking because there may be specific problems associated with that one model.  For instance, some (cough Dell cough) were prone to "bulging capacitors" on the mobo.  We replaced bad caps in some equipment and revived it (Ethernet switches, not a laptop, so not as tricky).  So before giving up on it, do a web search for the symptoms along with the specific model info.

        -- Pat