Re: [SeattleRobotics] [OT] Aarrrggg I think my laptop is dead

  • Larry Geib
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
      From the sound of it, I suggest a fifth of Grand Dad's.

      On Mar 4, 2013, at 11:22 PM, "Pete Miles" <robots@...> wrote:

      I think my laptop died after my question about PKM solving techniques.

      Laptop wont start.
      Display is blank
      When connecting to an external monitor, both displays are blank.
      Hard drive does spin up, but the normal status light for the hard drive is no longer blinking or even turns turns on.
      The WiFi light does not turn on anymore.
      The fan does turn on.
      I removed the hard drive and tested it with another computer using a serial SATA to USB adapter and it works and all of the data content is still there.
      When I put it back in, still nothing starts up.
      I have a backup hard drive, and it won't start with the backup hard drive.
      Same results with the battery installed and with the battery removed.
      Same results with the external power supply connected or not connected.
      Nothing happens when booting and trying to enter the System Bios.

      I have tried to disconnect the power and battery trick and holding the power switch down for 30 seconds then reconnecting the external power and restarting. Still nothing.

      No lettuce, no onion.

      I think the computer is dead.

      Anyone have any suggestions?

      Pete
      from his little netbook
    • Max Cato
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 5, 2013
        +1 to that. It may be time to take 'er out to pasture.

        I had a similar problem with my desktop a while ago. It was caused by bad memory. You may be able to burn a CD with memtest86 to check your memory-- although, in my case, my memory was so bad that memtest86 would die before even completing! :P

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5, 2013

          A suggestion, go somewhere very private, and cry like a little baby for about a day. When you come out of it, thank God for his grace of leaving you with your hard drive. Then spend the next month trying to become operational on a new laptop.

          Or at least that was my solution. It accounts for not hearing much from me in the last two months.

          You have to make a very serious decision. Do you want to go to Windows 8 or not. Your decision and yours alone. I did, and it is a disaster. Utter disaster. Microsoft is trying to market Win8 as intuitive. It’s only intuitive in the sense if you know nothing about windows, you are better prepared to succeed than if you are a seasoned user. Everything you’ve learned works against you.

          If you don’t feel the need to move to the bleeding edge, get Win7Pro and wait for Microsoft to either fail or fix this disaster. I’m guessing fail by self-immolation the more likely. In which case, learning Win8 is a waste of time. Better to go to something else. I’m still slugging it out and trying to become functional in the new windows… and hating it.

          What kind of issues? Every edge of the screen has a new function. So you get “help” popping up when you least want it. Every corner of the screen has overloaded functions so you get “icons” popping up when you least want them. Nothing closes. You have to trick things into shutting down and freeing your memory and your CPU(s). The start is a screen full of annoying squares doing things you don’t want, and probably don’t want to be distracted by if you are a serious user. You may not want the stock market results just because you want to open an app. Tough. There it is, rotating with the latest new about North Korean, pictures for Rio, the Eiffel Tower, Sand Bridge, and pictures of your family while you’re trying to concentrate on work instead. Etc. Etc. Etc.

          If you don’t know this trick, look up Windows Easy Transfer. I used it, moved data, and undid it. Data remained, and I’ve been limping along in the resultant bastardize state of recovered. No contacts, no old email,  barely functional, still trying. But as Adam Smith said of lotteries, “Hope springs eternal”.

          Good luck,

          Randy

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 5, 2013
            Pete --

            I think my laptop died after my question about PKM solving techniques.

            Laptop wont start.
            Display is blank
            When connecting to an external monitor, both displays are blank.
            Hard drive does spin up, but the normal status light for the hard drive is no longer blinking or even turns turns on.
            The WiFi light does not turn on anymore.
            The fan does turn on.
            I removed the hard drive and tested it with another computer using a serial SATA to USB adapter and it works and all of the data content is still there.

            Good!

            When I put it back in, still nothing starts up.
            I have a backup hard drive, and it won't start with the backup hard drive.
            Same results with the battery installed and with the battery removed.
            Same results with the external power supply connected or not connected.
            Nothing happens when booting and trying to enter the System Bios.

            I have tried to disconnect the power and battery trick and holding the power switch down for 30 seconds then reconnecting the external power and restarting. Still nothing.

            No lettuce, no onion.

            I think the computer is dead.

            Anyone have any suggestions?

            Dead motherboard.  You've already tried the full discharge trick, which is what I was going to suggest.  What model is it?  I suppose it's not under warranty...

            -- Pat
          • Robert Dyer

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 5, 2013
                How about just installing XP Pro, or another release you like? Then you
                can order the laptop without an OS. Or install Linux. Not very
                wizzy-wizzy, but can run a lot of basic things. I gave up on trying to
                recover an older IBM laptop from a virus, and just installed Ubuntu on
                it. Of course, I'm doing ROS for my robot project. I installed Ubuntu
                and ROS on a mini-ITX for my 'bot, and right now, it's running next to
                my main XP Pro workstation. Didn't have to buy a Windoz OS disk! I
                have Win7 Pro on the laptop that was purchased to replaced the crashed
                IBM. Not bad. I would have chosen XP Pro again, but it wasn't
                available on the mail order a few years ago.

                Alan KM6VV

                On 3/5/2013 12:08 PM, Randy M. Dumse wrote:

                > A suggestion, go somewhere very private, and cry like a little baby for
                > about a day. When you come out of it, thank God for his grace of leaving
                > you with your hard drive. Then spend the next month trying to become
                > operational on a new laptop.
                >
                > Or at least that was my solution. It accounts for not hearing much from
                > me in the last two months.
                >
                > You have to make a very serious decision. Do you want to go to Windows 8
                > or not. Your decision and yours alone. I did, and it is a disaster.
                > Utter disaster. Microsoft is trying to market Win8 as intuitive. It’s
                > only intuitive in the sense if you know nothing about windows, you are
                > better prepared to succeed than if you are a seasoned user. Everything
                > you’ve learned works against you.
                >
                > If you don’t feel the need to move to the bleeding edge, get Win7Pro and
                > wait for Microsoft to either fail or fix this disaster. I’m guessing
                > fail by self-immolation the more likely. In which case, learning Win8 is
                > a waste of time. Better to go to something else. I’m still slugging it
                > out and trying to become functional in the new windows… and hating it.
                >
                > What kind of issues? Every edge of the screen has a new function. So you
                > get “help” popping up when you least want it. Every corner of the screen
                > has overloaded functions so you get “icons” popping up when you least
                > want them. Nothing closes. You have to trick things into shutting down
                > and freeing your memory and your CPU(s). The start is a screen full of
                > annoying squares doing things you don’t want, and probably don’t want to
                > be distracted by if you are a serious user. You may not want the stock
                > market results just because you want to open an app. Tough. There it is,
                > rotating with the latest new about North Korean, pictures for Rio, the
                > Eiffel Tower, Sand Bridge, and pictures of your family while you’re
                > trying to concentrate on work instead. Etc. Etc. Etc.
                >
                > If you don’t know this trick, look up Windows Easy Transfer. I used it,
                > moved data, and undid it. Data remained, and I’ve been limping along in
                > the resultant bastardize state of recovered. No contacts, no old email,
                > barely functional, still trying. But as Adam Smith said of lotteries,
                > “Hope springs eternal”.
                >
                > Good luck,
                >
                > Randy

              • Pat Tressel
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 6, 2013
                  Pete --

                  Dead motherboard.  You've already tried the full discharge trick, which is what I was going to suggest.  What model is it?  I suppose it's not under warranty...

                  I'm asking because there may be specific problems associated with that one model.  For instance, some (cough Dell cough) were prone to "bulging capacitors" on the mobo.  We replaced bad caps in some equipment and revived it (Ethernet switches, not a laptop, so not as tricky).  So before giving up on it, do a web search for the symptoms along with the specific model info.

                  -- Pat