RE: [PARTS] Robot Combat League

  • Mark Kenworthy
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013

      My son and I watched the premier last night.  As one would expect, it is a long ways from Real Steel, but you need to start somewhere.  I think the t-bar support used to keep the robots on their feet worked well and allowed good freedom of movement.  As for the pyrotechnics, well, we know it is a TV show, and those certainly did add some excitement.  The robots seemed a bit fragile, but again for the purpose of the show, if they didn’t break, it wouldn’t be very exciting.

      I think it is a good first step.  Hopefully it will be popular to keep going.  It’s fun to think about where the robots could be in 10-20 years if the show is successful.

      Mark

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013
        This show was absolutely awesome. I can't wait to see next episode.

        For those that don't remember, Dave Shinsel has been a very active participant
        of the Robothon. He won the 2005 RoboMagellan contest

        Gratz Dave for the first ever victory in this new and exciting robotics event.

        So who is up for humanoid robotics events? Humanoid Sumo?

        Pete
      • starvingartist49
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2013
          List has seemed pretty quiet lately. I thought we should congratulate Dave and Amber Shinsel on their success in winning the competition.
        • Dennis Clark
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2013
            I just saw the final episode last night. I wonder if there will be a second season. And I wonder if anyone else will be up to designing competing machines to Setrakian's(sp?)

            DLC

            --
            Dennis Clark
            While traveling

            On May 2, 2013, at 11:43 AM, "starvingartist49" <starvingartist49@...> wrote:

            > List has seemed pretty quiet lately. I thought we should congratulate Dave and Amber Shinsel on their success in winning the competition.

          • KM6VV
            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2013
              I missed the final. 'Hope it comes up for another look soon.

              Alan KM6VV
              P.S. I didn't let my young 'bots watch it. To violent!

              wrote:

              > List has seemed pretty quiet lately. I thought we should congratulate Dave
              and Amber Shinsel on their success in winning the competition.

            • Rob Purdy
              Message 6 of 8 , May 2, 2013
                   That would be a seriously spendy propsition.  I would like to know what method he used to make hydraulics into servos.

                Rob

                To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
                From: dlc@...
                Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 13:03:07 -0600

                Message 7 of 8 , May 2, 2013

                  Probably just put encoders somewhere (e.g., on the joints), and ran them like a DC servomotor.  Or maybe he was playing around with pressures and flow sensors, and figuring that was close enough.

                  Mark

                  To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
                  From: dlc@...
                  Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 13:03:07 -0600

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 2, 2013
                       That would be a spendy proposition. I hope they do some thing better.  Knowing what Mark is capable of I was actually a little disappointed but watched it any way.  The sparks for show was kinda lame.

                    Heads up for those that can't afford to fight 800# bots WAR is going to host Mech warfare this fall probably at our November event.   I plan on doing Demo's at the Kirkland Summer fest event in August.

                    Rob

                    To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
                    From: dlc@...
                    Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 13:03:07 -0600