Re: [SeattleRobotics] Re: Robomagellan cone color(s) and cmvision

  • KM6VV
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 22, 2013
      Hi Max,

      Well, I wouldn't call it little, there is a large base of packages to
      run on it for a variety of 'bots. ROS is a "middle-ware" layer running
      on Linux. Nodes are connected via messages, and they can easily be on
      different processors via serial, LAN or WiFi. Look at the turtlebot or
      Neato XVII ports to see it implemented. It WILL take a while to get
      everything up and running (as I'm finding out), and to learn all the
      in's and out's of ROS. Turtlebot runs along with a workstation also
      running ROS, and talks to the turtlebot (a PC on top of a iRobot Create.

      Alan KM6VV

      On 2/22/2013 12:20 PM, Max Cato wrote:

      > Interesting. I hadn't looked into ROS before. Looks like a little Linux
      > based pakage for controlling robots. Does the robot have to be
      > completely autonomous, or can it do all of it's thinking elsewhere? If
      > the latter, then it'd be possible to just have the robot send its
      > status/data via an ad-hoc wifi network, and have a computer with the
      > AForge.NET application send commands back.
      > Otherwise, yeah, there's definitely an integration headache. I'm not
      > sure how dependent AForge.NET is on specific Windows .NET architecture,
      > but it *may* be possible to compile it with Mono on Linux.
      > Either way, yeah, sounds like it's more of a "would be nice" thing that
      > would take a while to get up and running.

    • Max Cato
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 22, 2013
        Very cool. Thanks for turning me on to this. I'm definitely going to give it a more in-depth look :)
        -Max
        Well, I wouldn't call it little, there is a large base of packages to
        run on it for a variety of 'bots. ROS is a "middle-ware" layer running
        on Linux. Nodes are connected via messages, and they can easily be on
        different processors via serial, LAN or WiFi. Look at the turtlebot or
        Neato XVII ports to see it implemented. It WILL take a while to get
        everything up and running (as I'm finding out), and to learn all the
        in's and out's of ROS. Turtlebot runs along with a workstation also
        running ROS, and talks to the turtlebot (a PC on top of a iRobot Create.

        Alan KM6VV

        On 2/22/2013 12:20 PM, Max Cato wrote:

        > Interesting. I hadn't looked into ROS before. Looks like a little Linux
        > based pakage for controlling robots. Does the robot have to be
        > completely autonomous, or can it do all of it's thinking elsewhere? If
        > the latter, then it'd be possible to just have the robot send its
        > status/data via an ad-hoc wifi network, and have a computer with the
        > AForge.NET application send commands back.
        > Otherwise, yeah, there's definitely an integration headache. I'm not
        > sure how dependent AForge.NET is on specific Windows .NET architecture,
        > but it *may* be possible to compile it with Mono on Linux.
        > Either way, yeah, sounds like it's more of a "would be nice" thing that
        > would take a while to get up and running.

      • Will Smith
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 22, 2013
          The slider feature I'm using is specific to OpenCV and is part of the UI code along with window display, and is just a convenience. Under the hood  it is just a simple Qt framework slider. We've written Qt-based OCU UI's for ROS at work so it's possible to get the same effect. I'm not sure if there are "out of the box" slider controls in ROS but you may be able to find one in the many, many packages :)

          My current implementation is just standalone and the ROS version will probably be heavily mutated, as of now I'm just saving a text file (specifically YAML format) which would could be easily tweaked at the last minute.

          Max, I'd definitely take a look at ROS! It's a huge effort.

          Here are the videos from ROSCon last year, they cover a lot of the major features:

          -Will
          KF7LGG

        • KM6VV
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 22, 2013
            Sounds like a future project. There is a "blobfinder" in the cmvision
            package(s), so I can at lest "learn" the color of a cone.

            Thanks for the ROSCon 2012 link;

            Alan KM6VV

            On 2/22/2013 4:10 PM, Will Smith wrote:

            > The slider feature I'm using is specific to OpenCV and is part of the UI
            > code along with window display, and is just a convenience. Under the
            > hood it is just a simple Qt framework slider. We've written Qt-based
            > OCU UI's for ROS at work so it's possible to get the same effect. I'm
            > not sure if there are "out of the box" slider controls in ROS but you
            > may be able to find one in the many, many packages :)
            >
            > My current implementation is just standalone and the ROS version will
            > probably be heavily mutated, as of now I'm just saving a text file
            > (specifically YAML format) which would could be easily tweaked at the
            > last minute.
            >
            > Max, I'd definitely take a look at ROS! It's a huge effort.
            >
            > Here are the videos from ROSCon last year, they cover a lot of the major
            > features:
            >
            > http://roscon.ros.org/2012/?page_id=33
            >
            > -Will
            > KF7LGG

          • robotMaker
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 23, 2013
              Orange is a unique color?
                  Agreed, meant to be easily seen.

              Not used much in nature perhaps?
                  Not in nature but used by people's clothing.

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 25, 2013
                I see these next to the freeways every spring.

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 25, 2013
                  I wonder if my 'bot likes 'em?

                  Alan KM6VV