Re: [SeattleRobotics] Laptop with 2 USB Cards

  • Xandon Frogget
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 18, 2013
      I was finally able to get 2 kinects to work. After testing on a few different machines at SRS meeting, I learned a little and was able to confirm that my 2.3 Ghz intel core i7 Macbook Pro does use 2 separate hi speed busses for the 2 usb ports on the side. I also found out that a docking station can add USB ports on other laptops that may not. Theoretically the PCI MCIA cards would work this way as well.

      Here are instructions for installing:
      http://code.google.com/p/simple-openni/wiki/Installation

      The processing example MultiCam works for me now with 2 kinects since I found this thread and changed the order of the enableDepth():

      https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/simple-openni-discuss/HY312618Qb8

      For some reason changing the order that the depth image is turned on allows it to work....?
      Sounds kind of fuzzy to me but it works.

      Basically from this:
      /* ------------------------------ */
      // init the cameras
      cam1 = new SimpleOpenNI(0,this);
      cam2 = new SimpleOpenNI(1,this);

      // enable depthMap generation
      cam1.enableDepth();
      cam2.enableDepth();

      to this... fixes it:

      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 18, 2013
        I tested on the older Macbook Pro intel core two duo 2.4 Ghz and it worked fine there now too. Not sure how the slight difference in order of enabling depthImage changed it, must be a bug in SimpleOpenNI library. The important thing is it works, and so it should work on many of the same board layouts by different manufacturers. (Not just Apple).

        I hope this helps others who may be trying to integrate multiple Kinect's into their robot using processing. Another helpful technique for multiple Kinects is presented by Microsoft Research that they call "Shake 'n' Sense"

        A big thanks to MicrosoftResearch for sharing this great technique.
        -Xandon