OMG - 1,000 pound fighting robots on TV?

  • sgrdanderson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2013
      syfy.com/robotcombatleague

      Each week, Robot Combat League will feature tournament-style battles between eight-feet tall, state-of-the-art humanoid robots controlled by human "robo-jockeys".

      The robots of the Robot Combat League were designed and created by robotics expert Mark Setrakian, a leader in the sport of robotic combat. In his distinguished career, Setrakian has developed life-saving robotic systems, and pioneered cutting-edge creature effects, animatronics and control technology for such films as Men In Black, The Grinch and Hellboy.
    • Peter Balch
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2013
        > state-of-the-art humanoid robots

        If they could walk I'd be very impressed.

        But they can't of course.

        It's just a big version of Rockem Sockem Robots.

        http://www.zazdas.com/department/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcountry=218&idproduct=2416128&idcategory=0

        Sigh.

        Peter
      • dshinsel@frontier.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31, 2013
          The robots move surprisingly fast.
          How do I know? My daughter and I are one of the teams :-)

          -- Dave Shinsel
          Facebook.com/ShinselRobots
        • David Buckley
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 31, 2013
            Seeing as how they were built by Mark Setrakian I would be very surprised if they didn't work really well. For those of you who have never seen his work up close, it is superb, photos and video don't do it justice at all.
            DAvid

            How do I know? My daughter and I are one of the teams :-)

            -- Dave Shinsel
            Facebook.com/ShinselRobots

          • Pete Miles
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 31, 2013
              sweet, I am so jealous of you

              Pete

              > How do I know? My daughter and I are one of the teams :-)
              >
              > -- Dave Shinsel
              > Facebook.com/ShinselRobots

              15:12:00