Re: Loki Robot interface converted from PIC to Arduino

  • dshinsel@frontier.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 25, 2013
      EZ-B is a great board, DJ has done a fantastic job with the software!
      I'd highly recommend it to anyone that is starting a new robot.

      I did not look deeply into the SDK; I'm not sure how much the EZ-B itself can be customized. I needed the board be able to read the custom quadrature decoders I made for Loki at high speed, to interface with multiple I2C devices including I2C-IT IR rangers and PFC8574 I/O expander chips (I have one in each arm, and in the head), and do things like blink Loki's eyes in stages automatically.

      Also, I decided to use Arduino for the interface, because I had received dozens of request for examples of using Arduino in a robot like Loki. Plus, I wanted to learn more about Arduino. I was really impressed at how easy Arduino is to use!

      So, both EZ-B and Arduino are great choices, it just depends what your goals are!

      -- Dave Shinsel
      www.dshinsel.com
      www.facebook.com/ShinselRobots

      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" wrote:

      > thats great work DAVE
      > Also how do you like the EZ-BOARD and comparing to pic micro or arduino board
      >
      > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "dshinsel@" wrote:
      > >
      > > After lots of requests for others wanting to use Loki's code and
      > > hardware designs, I have converted Loki's sensor interface from PIC
      > > processor to Arduino.
      > > Check out the new interface shield schematic and source code at:
      > > http://www.dshinsel.com/loki-electronics/
      > > (scroll to bottom for the
      > > new Arduino stuff) http://www.dshinsel.com/source-code-download/
      > >
      > > http://www.dshinsel.com/release-notes/
      > >
      > > This might also be useful for anyone wanting to create a PC application
      > > that needs to controls external hardware and get sensor feedback. Hope
      > > this is helpful for folks!
      > > -- Dave Shinselwww.dshinsel.comTwitter: @DaveShinselFaceBook: Loki-Robot

    • jamericanfreddy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 26, 2013
        DAVE let me know when you can make the quadrature encoder code for EZ-B
        I NEED IT FOR A PROJECT TOO