Re: Loki Robot interface converted from PIC to Arduino

  • jamericanfreddy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2013
      thats great work DAVE
      Also how do you like the EZ-BOARD and comparing to pic micro or arduino board

    • dshinsel@frontier.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 25, 2013
        EZ-B is a great board, DJ has done a fantastic job with the software!
        I'd highly recommend it to anyone that is starting a new robot.

        I did not look deeply into the SDK; I'm not sure how much the EZ-B itself can be customized. I needed the board be able to read the custom quadrature decoders I made for Loki at high speed, to interface with multiple I2C devices including I2C-IT IR rangers and PFC8574 I/O expander chips (I have one in each arm, and in the head), and do things like blink Loki's eyes in stages automatically.

        Also, I decided to use Arduino for the interface, because I had received dozens of request for examples of using Arduino in a robot like Loki. Plus, I wanted to learn more about Arduino. I was really impressed at how easy Arduino is to use!

        So, both EZ-B and Arduino are great choices, it just depends what your goals are!

        -- Dave Shinsel
        www.dshinsel.com
        www.facebook.com/ShinselRobots

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 26, 2013
          DAVE let me know when you can make the quadrature encoder code for EZ-B
          I NEED IT FOR A PROJECT TOO