NeRP Propulsion...

  • K Maxon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2013

      It has  been a couple months since I logged into this account to check  for mail so it might take a bit to dig through it all, however I thought to take a minute and share if anyone out there is interested.

      Earlier this fall I spent some time shrinking down the pair of CCAs used inside the wheel housings for my NeRP project, consolidating them into the board area of a single PWB.   At the same time I managed to upgrade the processors so that I can use the same tool chain through out all of the subsystems on the platform.

      This photo was taken  after opening the rear wheel housing this evening.  This unit ran unattended through the night last night for ~18hrs under full feedback control while logging thermal data, power consumption and position / response data under varying control algorithm conditions.  (pre-selected, 20 minutes each).

      Kind  of fun to reach this small milestone point in such a  large project.  :)

      -Kenneth
    • robotMaker
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2013
        Interesting photo, but it's out of context for me. I can see solder bridges on one of the high density SMT chips, do does it really work? Just kidding ....

        I visited the website at: http://nikita.argia.net/kmaxon/. Looks very interesting, but unfortunately whenever I click on any of the pages, it crashes my LinuxFirefox browser. I'll have to try IE.

        Cesar

        http://nikita.argia.net/kmaxon/q40_133_001258.jpg

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2013

          Hello Cesar,

          To answer the (kidding) question, yes, all required functions in the circuit card assembly have been exercised, characterized and are working as designed at the time this photo was taken  and the post was written.

          Good eye on the photo it jumped out at me as well.  The part you are looking at is an ACS715 hall effect current sensor in an 8-pin SOIC package so we are talking a relativly large pitch (0.050in). The design of this particular part uses pins 1&2 (as a pair) for high current input path and pins 3&4 (as a pair) as the high current output path.  The pins are doubled for their thermal carying capacity.   In  pairs these pins are connected together inside the part and in pairs these pins are connected together by heavy copper traces on the PWB to aid in spreading heat.   As such, all is good, just the way they are connected.

          If you do  find a machine with IE installed and get the chance to visit my site, the details (context) of  this  design are presented in full.  It is not rocket science,  but it  is part of the robot I am building so I thought folk might get a kick out of it.  Unfortunate that the  site is not working well on your machine.  I  have a few friends running FireFox that check into the site off and on through out the year and they haven't reported any problems.  If you do uncover anything compatibility wise, please do send feedback off-list and I'll see what I can do to  incorporate it.
          -Kenneth

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2013
            Cesar,

            Install chrome browser on Linux, it works fine with that site.

            Ed Okerson

            > Interesting photo, but it's out of context for me. I can see solder
            > bridges on one of the high density SMT chips, do does it really work? Just
            > kidding ....
            >

            > I visited the website at: http://nikita.argia.net/kmaxon/. Looks very
            > interesting, but unfortunately whenever I click on any of the pages, it
            > crashes my LinuxFirefox browser. I'll have to try IE.
            >

            > Cesar
            >

            > ________________________________

          • robotMaker
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2013
              Thanx for the suggestion, and I'm embarrassed to say, that I had no success finding a place to download Chrome, for my Fedora Linux. The Chrome Fedora Linux download website offers to download a chrome version for Fedora, but it's a Debian package. The extension ends with ".deb" and did not go further with the attempt. I tried other sites that say Download Chrome for Linux, but when I click on the download it tries to download an ".exe" file.

              If you have a good download link, please share with all of us.

              Thanx

              href="mailto:SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com">SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com>
              > Sent: Friday, January 4, 2013 1:28 AM
              > Subject: [SeattleRobotics] NeRP Propulsion...
              >

              > It has  been a couple months since I logged into this account to check
              > for mail so it might take a bit to dig through it all, however I thought
              > to take a minute and share if anyone out there is interested.
              >
              > Earlier this fall I spent some time shrinking down the pair of CCAs used
              > inside the wheel housings for my NeRP project, consolidating them into the
              > board area of a single PWB.   At the same time I managed to upgrade the
              > processors so that I can use the same tool chain through out all of the
              > subsystems on the platform.
              >
              > This photo was taken  after opening the rear
              wheel housing this evening.
              > This unit ran unattended through the night last night for ~18hrs under
              > full feedback control while logging thermal data, power consumption and
              > position / response data under varying control algorithm conditions.
              > (pre-selected, 20 minutes each).
              >
              > http://nikita.argia.net/kmaxon/q40_133_001258.jpg
              >
              > Kind  of fun to reach this small milestone point in such a  large
              > project.  :)
              >
              > -Kenneth

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional