UV lamps?

  • Kevin Impson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2013
      Hi Everyone,

      I am having to put together a UV exposure table for PCB artwork.

      With my not so wonderful memory these days, I have forgotten what UV tube can be used for exposure purposes of positive and negative coated PCB material.

      Could some one help me jar my memory?

      Will the UV lamps for plants and such at Home Depot and other box stores work?

      Thanks in advance.

      I hope everybody is having a good start on the new year.

      Best Regards,

      Kevin I.
    • K Maxon
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2013
        Hi Kevin,

        In  a word, 'Yes'.  Back in the day  when I built my light box for PWB exposure I used this sort of  lamp for a while with reasonably good results.  One item to  consider, this type of lamp produces a widly difuse (specular) light source given the nature of the phosphors to re-emit the light from all over the inner coating of the tube.  As such you will need  to keep the artwork in extremely close contact with the media being exposed.

        The thing that many people do not consider is the UV blocking additives and natural characteristics in most plexi-glass and sources of cheap glass.   Quartz plate (although expensive and  hard to come by) is your best bet.  Otherwise, real glass, and the thinner the better.  Of course the trade off is the risk of breakage during use.

        -Kenneth

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 25, 2013
          This is probably obvious, but be careful. I once got my eyes burned working with a strong UV lamp. Since a lot of the brightness is not in the human range, it's easy to get overexposed.