Motor specs & replacement?

  • David Shoemaker
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 11, 2012

      Not exactly robot but it is motor and embedded system J

      I have a Sony LDP-1450 laserdisc player with a dead motor. It’s a Hosiden motor marked HMR32, which is toast.  I need to get a replacement but can’t find specs on it’s exact values (RPM).  I think it runs at 5v.

      It’s a standard DC motor 32mm wide and 20mm in length with a shaft diameter of 2mm and a length of 11mm.

      Any suggestions on finding the specs?  And then a replacement?  Hosiden doesn’t appear to make motors any longer (at least the one site I found under than name doesn’t list them).

      If I were to guess I think, this will work

      BDR-32-20-6.0V-3734

      http://www.anaheimautomation.com/products/brush/brush-motor-item.php?sID=163&pt=i&tID=101&cID=24

      Thanks,

      David

    • Peter Balch
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 11, 2012
        > I have a Sony LDP-1450 laserdisc player with a dead motor.

        Why is it dead? Bad bearings? Burnt-out copper wire or burnt-out brushes?

        If it's the brushes, I'd be tempted to replace them with some taken out of
        another motor.

        It it's the copper wire then whatever burnt it out will do the dame to the
        next motor you put in.

        If it's the bearings then would thick grease be enough to get it to work for
        a couple on minutes while you measure the current and voltage?

        Peter
      • David Shoemaker
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 11, 2012
          The unit was dropped and I think one of the magnets broke.  The armature doesn't spin freely and it is shorted internally.  Can is closed and I can't get the bell off.

          > I have a Sony LDP-1450 laserdisc player with a dead motor.

          Why is it dead? Bad bearings? Burnt-out copper wire or burnt-out brushes?

          If it's the brushes, I'd be tempted to replace them with some taken out of
          another motor.

          It it's the copper wire then whatever burnt it out will do the dame to the
          next motor you put in.

          If it's the bearings then would thick grease be enough to get it to work for
          a couple on minutes while you measure the current and voltage?

        • Jeff Sampson
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 12, 2012
            This web site has a manual. I didn't download it so I don't know how detailed it is.
            http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/tech/ldguide/sony.asp

            --
            Jeff Sampson
            http://tcrobots.org/members/jsamp.htm

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 13, 2012

              I have that manual, which just shows “motor” with a sony part number.