Re: dynamic balance and autonomy

  • dpa_io
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 29, 2012
      Thanks Randy and Max, but no, that does not help. Maybe I need to be more specific. Start by watching this video of my robot nBot:

      <http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/nbot/20120614_nbot_05a.mpg>

      I'd like talk with someone who has:

      A) A FUNCTIONAL balancing AUTONOMOUS robot (emphasis on the words FUNCTIONAL and AUTONOMOUS, not a segway) that can

      B) Maneuver on it's OWN (not controlled by a human, either with R/C or as a rider. i.e. that can do more than just maintain its balance: can actually drive) and

      C) That can do OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE (i.e., that can do more than drive in a straight line or a predefined pattern).

      I'm looking for someone with a robot at least a capable as nBot, hopefully more so.

      thanks,
      dpa

      PS: Randy, Congratulations!!!!

      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Max Cato <maxsthekat@...> wrote:

      > I built a segway clone with my electrical engineering senior design group in college.
      >
      > (From one of my teammate's pages)
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SltQ3Ws6wg&noredirect=1
      >
      > (I'm the dork trying not to hopelessly fall off. I wrote the driving software)
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N8wl21lXwA&feature=plcp
      >
      > -Sean
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Max Cato
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 29, 2012
        DPA,

        Perhaps you aren't thinking about your problem big enough. An "autonomous" robot still has to obey the laws of physics, last I checked, and a segway is a solution to the inverted pendulum problem. It would balance itself with or without (autonomously!) a rider. With a few more lines of code, one could easily make it move forward or backwards without a rider. In fact, I had it doing just that so that you could control it wirelessly with a Wii remote, just for kicks, before we demoed the product. If I had the time to add a few sensors to it, I'm sure I could've had it navigate the hallways using a kinnect bar, too.

        Regardless of who you talk to, you're still going to have to solve the inverted pendulum problem, which becomes more chaotic (2nd and higher order errors) as you decrease the mass and the length of the pendulum. Since you already have what looks like a store bought robot, congrats, someone has done the work for you.

        Obstacle avoidance and maneuvering (which is what you're really asking about) on its own are more to do with your sensors and the code running the platform than anything else. You don't need someone who simply knows how to hook up sensors and can come up with good algorithms. Your problem is not unique to a 2 wheeled vehicle.

        -Max

        Thanks Randy and Max, but no, that does not help. Maybe I need to be more specific. Start by watching this video of my robot nBot:

        <http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/nbot/20120614_nbot_05a.mpg>

        I'd like talk with someone who has:

        A) A FUNCTIONAL balancing AUTONOMOUS robot (emphasis on the words FUNCTIONAL and AUTONOMOUS, not a segway) that can

        B) Maneuver on it's OWN (not controlled by a human, either with R/C or as a rider. i.e. that can do more than just maintain its balance: can actually drive) and

        C) That can do OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE (i.e., that can do more than drive in a straight line or a predefined pattern).

        I'm looking for someone with a robot at least a capable as nBot, hopefully more so.

        thanks,
        dpa

        PS: Randy, Congratulations!!!!

        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Max Cato <maxsthekat@...> wrote:

        > I built a segway clone with my electrical engineering senior design group in college.
        >
        > (From one of my teammate's pages)
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SltQ3Ws6wg&noredirect=1
        >
        > (I'm the dork trying not to hopelessly fall off. I wrote the driving software)
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N8wl21lXwA&feature=plcp
        >
        > -Sean
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Max Cato
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 29, 2012
          Excuse me, that last line should read "You just need someone..."

          Bloody brain not wording things right. Anyone got an upgrade for my wetware? :)

          Thanks Randy and Max, but no, that does not help. Maybe I need to be more specific. Start by watching this video of my robot nBot:

          <http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/nbot/20120614_nbot_05a.mpg>

          I'd like talk with someone who has:

          A) A FUNCTIONAL balancing AUTONOMOUS robot (emphasis on the words FUNCTIONAL and AUTONOMOUS, not a segway) that can

          B) Maneuver on it's OWN (not controlled by a human, either with R/C or as a rider. i.e. that can do more than just maintain its balance: can actually drive) and

          C) That can do OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE (i.e., that can do more than drive in a straight line or a predefined pattern).

          I'm looking for someone with a robot at least a capable as nBot, hopefully more so.

          thanks,
          dpa

          PS: Randy, Congratulations!!!!

          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Max Cato <maxsthekat@...> wrote:

          > I built a segway clone with my electrical engineering senior design group in college.
          >
          > (From one of my teammate's pages)
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SltQ3Ws6wg&noredirect=1
          >
          > (I'm the dork trying not to hopelessly fall off. I wrote the driving software)
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N8wl21lXwA&feature=plcp
          >
          > -Sean
          >

          > ________________________________

        • dpa_io
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 29, 2012
            Hi Max,

            Thanks for the input. Did actually watch the video I posted? If you did you would see that I have solved the balance problem, as well as autonomy and obstacle avoidance, long ago. I am looking for someone with similar actual experience at a much "higher level," if you will.

            best,
            dpa

          • dpa_io
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 29, 2012
              "store bought robot"? Pshaww. Do a google search on "two wheel robot" and look at the first or second link.

              Seriously, I'm not trying to diss your work. Just looking for someone who has a little more experience than you.

              thanks,
              dpa

            • Karim Virani
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 30, 2012
                "store bought" - It is a bit funny to get such a back-handed compliment to
                your crafting skills...

                To be fair, he probably didn't know he was talking to the father of
                balancing autonomous robots. The page you maintain on nBot does have a few
                clues about how far back your work goes (a date here or there, but mostly
                your graying hair), but it doesn't explicitly try to establish your
                timeline. I remember first seeing your work on it back in early 2002, and
                seeing your earlier solution to the inverted pendulum problem in late 2001,
                before the Segway (then known "IT") was unveiled.

                So my question becomes, are you the "father" of two wheeled balancing
                autonomous robots? I've never come across an earlier example - and I've
                been looking. You've been keeping track of other's developments on your
                nBot page, but I don't see any earlier work there, other than the Yamafuji
                claim - which doesn't seem autonomous. But your openly documented work on
                nBot has been the starting point for many a robot builder going down this
                path. The Segway gets most of the credit for inspiring most builders, but I
                believe that is because it was so well known/marketed. And again, to be
                fair, Kamen's people were well ahead of you, production-wise, in that
                non-autonomous space. But I consider my meager attempts at this (a LEGO
                balancer that completed the roborama square dance challenge) to be inspired
                by nBot.

                This comes across as a bit more sycophantic than intended, but credit should
                be placed where it is due.

                "store bought robot"? Pshaww. Do a google search on "two wheel robot" and
                look at the first or second link.

                Seriously, I'm not trying to diss your work. Just looking for someone who
                has a little more experience than you.

                thanks,
                dpa

                --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Max Cato <maxsthekat@...> wrote:

                > Excuse me, that last line should read "You just need someone..."Â
                >
                > Bloody brain not wording things right. Anyone got an upgrade for my
                > wetware? :)
                >

                > ________________________________

              • KM6VV
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 30, 2012
                  Very impressive 'bot David!

                  You'd be a great asset to our HBRobotics club. I don't know if any of
                  us could actually "help" you, but I'm sure we'd have fun trying!

                  Any thought to running ROS? (I'm just learning it now) It's certainly a
                  way to distribute the processing, and be able to seamlessly weave many
                  threads (nodes) together to perform the tasks necessary get to a "higher
                  level" of control. Look at the PR2 from Willow Garage as a premier
                  example.

                  Got SLAM?

                  Alan KM6VV

                  On 11/29/2012 6:38 PM, dpa_io wrote:

                  > Hi Max,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the input. Did actually watch the video I posted? If you did you would see that I have solved the balance problem, as well as autonomy and obstacle avoidance, long ago. I am looking for someone with similar actual experience at a much "higher level," if you will.
                  >
                  > best,
                  > dpa

                • Peter Balch
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 30, 2012
                    > are you the "father" of two wheeled balancing
                    > autonomous robots?

                    Well, a self-balancing "parallel bicycle" was invented by Kazuo Yamafuji in
                    1986 but he didn't acutally patent it until 10 years later.

                    The original idea was described by "Deadalus" in 1978 ("Deadalus" and
                    "Ariadne" were the pen names of David E. H. Jones).

                    Peter
                  • Steve Hassenplug
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 30, 2012

                      Perhaps you aren't thinking about your problem big enough. An "autonomous" robot still has to obey the laws of physics, last I checked, and a segway is a solution to the inverted pendulum problem.

                      Regardless of who you talk to, you're still going to have to solve the inverted pendulum problem, which becomes more chaotic (2nd and higher order errors) as you decrease the mass and the length of the pendulum. Since you already have what looks like a store bought robot, congrats, someone has done the work for you.

                      The internet is a great thing.  And, this is funny.  Normally, I wouldn't comment on someone making such an oversight, but these comments seem a bit harsh.

                      Personally, I'm very curious to know what you're wanting to do.  It seems like you're talking about things you've already done with nBot & jBot.  What sort of "Higher Level" are you looking for?

                      In any case, I'd love to know what you're thinking.  My guess would be that you want to make a robot to "live" in your house.

                      Oh, and congrads on your 10-yr old store bought bot.  :)

                      Steve

                    • dpa_io
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 30, 2012
                        Karim,

                        LOL! I guess it is a compliment! I didn't take offense. We all learn as we go along. But "father" seems a bit grand to me... ;)

                        There were a bunch of us working along similar lines at the time, applying what was and is a fairly well-known engineering problem (the inverted pendulum) to robotics. Here's a pic from 2003 of several of us at Robothon:

                        <http://www.tedlarson.com/robots/withfriends.jpg>

                        Thanks for the kind comments. It's always great to know that one's work has influenced others.

                        best,
                        dpa

                        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Karim Virani" <karim@...> wrote:

                        > "store bought" - It is a bit funny to get such a back-handed compliment to
                        > your crafting skills...
                        >
                        > To be fair, he probably didn't know he was talking to the father of
                        > balancing autonomous robots. The page you maintain on nBot does have a few
                        > clues about how far back your work goes (a date here or there, but mostly
                        > your graying hair), but it doesn't explicitly try to establish your
                        > timeline. I remember first seeing your work on it back in early 2002, and
                        > seeing your earlier solution to the inverted pendulum problem in late 2001,
                        > before the Segway (then known "IT") was unveiled.
                        >
                        > So my question becomes, are you the "father" of two wheeled balancing
                        > autonomous robots? I've never come across an earlier example - and I've
                        > been looking. You've been keeping track of other's developments on your
                        > nBot page, but I don't see any earlier work there, other than the Yamafuji
                        > claim - which doesn't seem autonomous. But your openly documented work on
                        > nBot has been the starting point for many a robot builder going down this
                        > path. The Segway gets most of the credit for inspiring most builders, but I
                        > believe that is because it was so well known/marketed. And again, to be
                        > fair, Kamen's people were well ahead of you, production-wise, in that
                        > non-autonomous space. But I consider my meager attempts at this (a LEGO
                        > balancer that completed the roborama square dance challenge) to be inspired
                        > by nBot.
                        >
                        > This comes across as a bit more sycophantic than intended, but credit should
                        > be placed where it is due.

                      • dpa_io
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 30, 2012
                          Hi Alan,

                          Funny you should mention it, Ed Okerson just last night suggested that Ted Larson (I had forgotten about Ted!) might be the person I'm looking for, and that he could be found these days on the hbrobotics list. Guess I need to head on over there and sign up.

                          thanks,
                          dpa

                          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, KM6VV <KM6VV@...> wrote:

                          > Very impressive 'bot David!
                          >
                          > You'd be a great asset to our HBRobotics club. I don't know if any of
                          > us could actually "help" you, but I'm sure we'd have fun trying!
                          >
                          > Any thought to running ROS? (I'm just learning it now) It's certainly a
                          > way to distribute the processing, and be able to seamlessly weave many
                          > threads (nodes) together to perform the tasks necessary get to a "higher
                          > level" of control. Look at the PR2 from Willow Garage as a premier
                          > example.
                          >
                          > Got SLAM?
                          >
                          > Alan KM6VV
                          >
                          > On 11/29/2012 6:38 PM, dpa_io wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Hi Max,
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for the input. Did actually watch the video I posted? If you did you would see that I have solved the balance problem, as well as autonomy and obstacle avoidance, long ago. I am looking for someone with similar actual experience at a much "higher level," if you will.
                          > >
                          > > best,
                          > > dpa

                        • dpa_io
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 30, 2012
                            Hey Steve,

                            Long time!

                            No nothing that cool. I've recently re-written a lot of the control code and made some changes to the hardware (Lipo batteries and a switching supply to drive the H-Bridge) after some lengthy conversations with Kenneth Maxon. Also wrote a velocity profiler so the robot can go up very steep ramps and hills.

                            As you well know, maneuvering, navigation, and obstacle avoidance is (are?) a very different animal on a dynamically balanced robot as compared to a more conventional statically stable platform.

                            You still working on developing your balancer?

                            best regards,
                            dpa

                            --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hassenplug <steve@...> wrote:

                            > Perhaps you aren't thinking about your problem big enough. An "autonomous"
                            > > robot still has to obey the laws of physics, last I checked, and a segway
                            > > is a solution to the inverted pendulum problem.
                            > >

                            > > Regardless of who you talk to, you're still going to have to solve the
                            > > inverted pendulum problem, which becomes more chaotic (2nd and higher order
                            > > errors) as you decrease the mass and the length of the pendulum. Since you
                            > > already have what looks like a store bought robot, congrats, someone has
                            > > done the work for you.
                            > >

                            > The internet is a great thing. And, this is funny. Normally, I wouldn't
                            > comment on someone making such an oversight, but these comments seem a bit
                            > harsh.
                            >
                            > Personally, I'm very curious to know what you're wanting to do. It seems
                            > like you're talking about things you've already done with nBot & jBot.
                            > What sort of "Higher Level" are you looking for?
                            >
                            > In any case, I'd love to know what you're thinking. My guess would be that
                            > you want to make a robot to "live" in your house.
                            >
                            > Oh, and congrads on your 10-yr old store bought bot. :)
                            >
                            > Steve

                          • KM6VV
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 30, 2012
                              Hi David,

                              Yes Ted! I've seen several of his 'bots (and Bob's too), and I'm always
                              impressed. Check out their "Robot Showcase":

                              Yeah, I'm curious too about what you're interested in finding out!

                              Perhaps you are looking to add a LiDAR or 3D camera?

                              A lot of knowledge of SLAM and such in the club's members as well.

                              http://www.ologicinc.com/

                              Regards,
                              Alan KM6VV

                              On 11/30/2012 1:41 PM, dpa_io wrote:

                              > Hi Alan,
                              >
                              > Funny you should mention it, Ed Okerson just last night suggested that Ted Larson (I had forgotten about Ted!) might be the person I'm looking for, and that he could be found these days on the hbrobotics list. Guess I need to head on over there and sign up.
                              >
                              > thanks,
                              > dpa
                              >

                              > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, KM6VV <KM6VV@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> Very impressive 'bot David!
                              >>
                              >> You'd be a great asset to our HBRobotics club. I don't know if any of
                              >> us could actually "help" you, but I'm sure we'd have fun trying!
                              >>
                              >> Any thought to running ROS? (I'm just learning it now) It's certainly a
                              >> way to distribute the processing, and be able to seamlessly weave many
                              >> threads (nodes) together to perform the tasks necessary get to a "higher
                              >> level" of control. Look at the PR2 from Willow Garage as a premier
                              >> example.
                              >>
                              >> Got SLAM?
                              >>
                              >> Alan KM6VV

                            • Carol
                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 1, 2012
                                I don't know how high or low tech you want to go but I have a Lego segway type robot that uses sonar to negotiate around a room, balances by using feedback from a light sensor and a gyro and can go up or down a ramp. If you are at all interested I would gladly share the design and programming with you.
                                Carol Hazlett
                                carolhazlett@...
                                facebook.com/Robothon

                                --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "dpa_io" <davida@...> wrote:

                                > Hi. I'm looking for someone to exchange ideas with about two-wheel dynamically balanced robots that can maneuver autonomously and do obstacle avoidance. R/C platforms won't help. Anyone on this list fit that criteria? Or maybe know someone that does?
                                >
                                > thanks
                                > dpa

                              • dpa_io
                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 1, 2012
                                  Cool. I'll contact you off-list.
                                  dpa

                                  --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <carolhazlett@...> wrote:

                                  > I don't know how high or low tech you want to go but I have a Lego segway type robot that uses sonar to negotiate around a room, balances by using feedback from a light sensor and a gyro and can go up or down a ramp. If you are at all interested I would gladly share the design and programming with you.
                                  > Carol Hazlett
                                  > carolhazlett@...
                                  > facebook.com/Robothon
                                  >

                                  > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "dpa_io" <davida@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hi. I'm looking for someone to exchange ideas with about two-wheel dynamically balanced robots that can maneuver autonomously and do obstacle avoidance. R/C platforms won't help. Anyone on this list fit that criteria? Or maybe know someone that does?
                                  > >
                                  > > thanks
                                  > > dpa

                                • Budi Mulyo
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 1, 2012
                                    Hi DPA (Dave?),
                                    RaaSIO (Robotics as a Service) would like to collaborate with you in building an autonomous bot like the one you describe: nBot
                                    What is your background?

                                    Best wishes,

                                    --
                                    Budi Mulyo
                                  • dpa_io
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 1, 2012
                                      Budi,

                                      I sent you a note off-list.

                                      dpa

                                      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Budi Mulyo <budi@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi DPA (Dave?),
                                      > RaaSIO (Robotics as a Service) would like to collaborate with you in
                                      > building an autonomous bot like the one you describe:
                                      > nBot<http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/nbot/20120614_nbot_05a.mpg>
                                      > What is your background?
                                      >
                                      > Best wishes,
                                      >
                                      > --
                                      > Budi Mulyo
                                      > 206.571.8430

                                    • dpa_io
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 1, 2012
                                        Carol, the list server seems to be having trouble sending you a note offlist. If you can send me your email address I'll try again.

                                        davida at smu dot edu

                                        thanks,
                                        dpa

                                        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <carolhazlett@...> wrote:

                                        > I don't know how high or low tech you want to go but I have a Lego segway type robot that uses sonar to negotiate around a room, balances by using feedback from a light sensor and a gyro and can go up or down a ramp. If you are at all interested I would gladly share the design and programming with you.
                                        > Carol Hazlett
                                        > carolhazlett@...
                                        > facebook.com/Robothon
                                        >

                                        > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "dpa_io" <davida@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Hi. I'm looking for someone to exchange ideas with about two-wheel dynamically balanced robots that can maneuver autonomously and do obstacle avoidance. R/C platforms won't help. Anyone on this list fit that criteria? Or maybe know someone that does?
                                        > >
                                        > > thanks
                                        > > dpa

                                      • Carol
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Dec 2, 2012