The Seattle Bomb Squad

  • John Schlick
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2012
      Just did a 2 hour meet and greet down at their facility in SODO for the "Seattle Brainiacs" meetup group.

      It included an arson investigator, and several members of the bomb squad, an introduction to the bomb dog, and a chance to try on the bomb suit.  The time also included some up close time with the robots they use.  Of course THEY call them robots, and really they are ROVs (Remotely Operated Vehicles).

      But, I was shocked when I asked the lady that ran the robots if they ever had anything to do with the robotics community here in Seattle, and she said... "No.".

      The meetup group arranged the time based soley on a phone call to the bomb squad, and they were happy to spend some time just to let the public know what they were really doing.  I can't imagine that if the seattle Robotics group were to call and bring 30 people in for a couple hours to focus on the robots and the training, and how they are used that they wouldn't be happy to meet you all...

      Just a thought.

         John.
    • twcarroll@aol.com