Fire Extinguisher Line follower Robot

  • Iqtidar
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2012
      Hello,

      I am student of Electrical (system) engineering,i am from Pakistan, i have great interest  in the robotics, i am beginner, i have a semester project of the fire extinguisher based line follower robot, i am using 8 sensors, the sensor i am using are the photo transistors, also i am using my own built H-bridge, & the micro controller i am using is the ATMEGA 16, but i am week in the programming of the MC, also PWN of mine is week, & also i am worried about the mechanical design, so can anyone assist me ???
      As my final year project is also of Robotics its " Autonomous mobile robot" . It would be pleasure for me to have any assistance.

      Regards
      Iqtidar
      iqtidarabbas@...
      +923005596647
    • Peter Balch
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2012
        That sounds like an excellent project. It's a lot of work for one person;
        there are a lot of things to learn. How much time do you have - how many
        weeks at how many days per week?

        When you say you are a beginner, what do you know? What are you confident
        with? Electronic design? Programming? Mechanical design? Actually,
        physically building mechanics or electronics?

        How far have you got? What have you built so far?

        How big is the robot to be? A small, table-top robot (15cm) is a lot easier
        than an outdoor robot (100cm). A lot of problems you'd meet with a big robot
        can be safely ignored with a small one. For instance, you mention PWN (I
        guess that's PWM control of the motors). With a small robot, you can get
        probably away with simple on/off motor control. If you don't already know
        how to make a PWM controller work then that could save you a week's work.

        You say you're using phototransistors. Is that to spot the fire? It's more
        usual to use a PIR sensor. PIR sensors are generally only used to measure
        changes in temperature - not the absolute temperature. So I'd get the robot
        to swing from side to side to sweep the sensor's view past the flame.

        I realise that electronic components like PIR sensors can be hard to buy in
        Pakistan but you'll be able to get PIR security sensors easily. They're
        often easy to find in second-hand markets.