Re: [SeattleRobotics] Best way to raise and lower a plunger

  • robotMaker
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 23, 2012
      Sean:

      My son makes those figures too. He makes his molds using the 'silicone caulking' method, cheap and practical. His two part molds are about the size of a lemon, since his figure parts are small. He too had problems with the air bubbles getting trapped in some places of the figures. So he tried something that I did not think that could be done. When he pours his slow curing casting resin, he carefully squeezes the mold to expel the bubbles. The silicone mold is rigid enough to return to its original shape, and most of his castings come out bubble free. When the parts do have some deformities from trapped air bubbles, he fixes them, by doing something else. He retouches them with fresh resin and puts the casting part back into the mold, and since the silicone is smooth, the part slides in very easily. When the part is fully cured, there are no signs that there were ever any air bubbles trapped. His hardest part was the Wolverine head, since it has pointed ears and nose. I too use the same method to save my gears with air bubble deformities, but my mold are simple one sided molds.

      I should also mention that the Silicone Caulking molds that we are making and using, are clear, shinning an led flash light on one side shows when air bubbles are trapped.

      Cesar

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 23, 2012
        Kenneth
        > check that you are using compatible mold releases and cleaning agents.

        Such as?

        Cesar
        > I epoxied it to the brass shaft.

        Of course, I hadn't thought of that. I was imagining the difficulties of
        casting a bush accurately into the gear. You just drill out a hole and glue
        it in!

        Peter: