Re: [SeattleRobotics] Robothon competition questions

  • William Henning
    Message 1 of 4 , May 13 11:08 AM
      Hi Lloyd,

      Thanks for the response! This will be my first competition, and I want to do things right...

      On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Lloyd Moore <moorel3@...> wrote:

      1.       In general the “indoor” robot events do not have a requirement for an “Emergency Stop” function. If you want to include one that should be fine, however there is no requirement to do so. In the case of MiniSumo the robot is expected to be under radio control anyway, and in that case the emergency stop function would normally be a part of the RC hardware. (Most RC units are set up to stop or hold last position if the radio signal is lost.)

      I thought the mini sumo bots were supposed to be fully autonomous?

      I was mostly concerned with the line racing, in case the robot went racing off track among spectators feet.

      2.       The lines are made from ¼” wide tape, so while I don’t have exact tolerance numbers on this I would expect it to be pretty minimal. I think you can safely assume +/-1/16” max in general. I would however expect to see some small alignment errors greater than this where the tiles for the course meet up. During setup we will keep these as minimal as possible (1/10” max), but of course the better a bot is at handling these cases the less chance there is for a problem during the competition.

      Thanks. I am wiring up a new line sensor to allow for 1/4" wide tape, and the photo reflectors at hand should allow me to detect 1/5" lines without issue, so it sounds like I am set :)

      I should be able to handle 1/10" gaps without any problems.

      3.       Take a look at the SRS page for the Line Following – the robot has completed the course when it reaches the end of the line – basically the line just has two ends, one is the start, the other is the end.

      I was thrown by the closed loop, and somehow missed the intersecting start finish line. Good thing I asked :)

      Thanks,

      Bill

      Thanks,

      Lloyd

      Message 2 of 4 , May 13 7:45 PM
        Mini sumo is strictly an autonomous division - no remote control permitted at all, including emergency stop functions.

        It is up to the competitor to catch their robot if it runs off the Dohyo.

        Pete

        What is the maximum error on the minimum line width? ie 1/4" +/- 1/x"
        (it may be difficult to detect a 1/8" or smaller line reliably)

        Is a 38Khz IR remote "Emergency Stop" function OK?

        3) Mini Sumo