Look for 'Servo Links.zip'

  • Peter Balch
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 3 KB
    Alan

    > On another topic, I remember your simulations of quads and hexapods, and
    > was
    > wondering if you'd ever done or seen a simulation of the four-bar linkage
    > for a gripper (jaws)?
    >
    > What I'd really like to know is how changing the length of the linkages
    > and
    > location of the two link bearings (flanking the center micro switch)
    > affects
    > the travel of the jaws.

    A 4-bar linkage with the same proportions as your gripper is attached. I
    copied it from your pdf.

    (As you know, it runs with Servo.exe - look for 'Servo Links.zip in the The
    Seattle Robotics Society Yahoo Groups Files section.)

    on the appropriate tab at the bottom of the window).

    There are two servos but you can ignore one of them.

    Click Edit mode and use the mouse wheel to move the servo around, you'll see
    the gripper arm open and close. I guess the servo moves over a bigger range
    than you'll actually use.

    You can change the lengths of the lines either by sliding the scrollbars at
    the right of the window or by shift-dragging individual nodes.

    (As you hover the mouse over a scrollbar, the corresponding line is
    highlighted. When you drag nodes, the length of any line is limited to the
    scrollbar max - IIRC that's 200 pixels. If you try to move a servo to a
    position that's impossible for the links to follow, they disappear.)

    Yes, I know the user-interface is dreadful but it's just about useable once
    you get the hang of it.