Looking for micro mini stepper motors??? Heeelllllppppp.....

  • Kevin Impson
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 11, 2011
      Hello Everyone,

      I have been searching for the smallest stepper motors I can find for a project, something in the 10 mm diameter range.

      I have been looking on the net and just can't seem to find anything, any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks in advance,

      Kevin I.
    • ian kantian
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 11, 2011
        Take apart a digital camera with an optical zoom.  There's usually two bipolar steppers in there way < 10 mm dia.
      • Markus Lampert
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 11, 2011
          Hi Kevin,

          Faulhaber has some, http://www.faulhaber.com/n164058/n.html
          In that size the torque and step angle are not very exciting though. Also, I don't know where to get them from ...

          HTH,
          Markus

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 11, 2011
            On 12/11/11 7:23 PM, Kevin Impson wrote:
            > I have been searching for the smallest stepper motors I can find for a
            > project, something in the 10 mm diameter range.
            >
            > I have been looking on the net and just can't seem to find anything, any
            > help would be appreciated.

            MicroMo appears to have steppers down to 6mm dia:
            http://www.micromo.com/stepper-motors.aspx
            I'm going to guess that they're pretty expensive though.

            Alternatively: what about a small brushless motor from a disk drive or
            etc.? You could treat it like a stepper, maybe. How many steps per
            revolution do you need?
          • robotMaker
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 11, 2011
              I remember seeing something that small on youtube.com just recently. Will look and see if I saved the link. But if you find the source for such small steppers, please post it.

              Cesar

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 11, 2011

                That page has a very nice stepper animation for several stepping schemes!

                On 12/11/11 7:23 PM, Kevin Impson wrote:

                > I have been searching for the smallest stepper motors I can find for a
                > project, something in the 10 mm diameter range.
                >
                > I have been looking on the net and just can't seem to find anything, any
                > help would be appreciated.

                MicroMo appears to have steppers down to 6mm dia:
                http://www.micromo.com/stepper-motors.aspx
                I'm going to guess that they're pretty expensive though.

                Alternatively: what about a small brushless motor from a disk drive or
                etc.? You could treat it like a stepper, maybe. How many steps per
                revolution do you need?

              • Larry Geib
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 12, 2011
                  Here's something that fits the bill ($2) and required no motor driver for a Picaxe. It ran right off the IO pins. Unfortunately, it appears to have sold out, but you may find something similar.

                  On Dec 11, 2011, at 11:56 PM, "Dick Curtiss" <rcurtiss@...> wrote:

                  That page has a very nice stepper animation for several stepping schemes!

                  On 12/11/11 7:23 PM, Kevin Impson wrote:
                  > I have been searching for the smallest stepper motors I can find for a
                  > project, something in the 10 mm diameter range.
                  >
                  > I have been looking on the net and just can't seem to find anything, any
                  > help would be appreciated.

                  MicroMo appears to have steppers down to 6mm dia:
                  http://www.micromo.com/stepper-motors.aspx
                  I'm going to guess that they're pretty expensive though.

                  Alternatively: what about a small brushless motor from a disk drive or
                  etc.? You could treat it like a stepper, maybe. How many steps per
                  revolution do you need?

                • Peter Balch
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 12, 2011
                    > I have been searching for the smallest stepper motors I can find for a
                    > project, something in the 10 mm diameter range.

                    In the olden days, laptops used to have 3.5" floppy drives. The head-drive
                    motor was about that diameter and all the ones I've seen were steppers. You
                    can often find the drives (or complete computers) very cheaply in charity
                    shops, car-boot sales, the backs of cupboards, etc.

                    I guess it depends whether you want just a couple or need to buy them in
                    quantity.

                    Peter
                  • don clay
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 13, 2011
                      A disk drive motor will be > 10 mm.  Probably > than an inch.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 13, 2011
                        From: don clay
                        > A disk drive motor will be > 10 mm. Probably > than an inch.

                        Not the motor that turns the disk. I meant the one that moves the head. And
                        I meant a floppy drive, not a hard drive.

                        IIRC, the head of a 3.5" drive is moved by a lead-screw attached directly to
                        the shaft of a stepper motor. So the lead-screw runs the along the long
                        length of the drive. So the motor has to be small enough diameter to fit in
                        the height of the drive. Internal laptop 3.5" dives are usually 10-15mm
                        high.
                        http://hackaday.com/2005/11/29/floppy-drive-heliostat/

                        Peter
                      • David Buckley
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 13, 2011
                          >Probably
                          > than an inch.

                          uh? 5.25" drives? from a museum?
                          In 10 year old 3.5" drives I have the platter motor (brushless) is 1/4" thick by a couple of inches in diameter but the head motor is a stepper about 1/2" diameter. [I bought a lot for a project just to use the head motors].
                          DAvid