A Linux download question

  • Bruce J Weimer MD
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
      I'm not really familiar with Linux.

      I'm trying to use ROS to run my Rovio using these instructions:
      http://www.ros.org/wiki/rovio

      Everything works until I get to this step:

      4 rosdep install rovio

      I then get an error saying that the install can not find the "joy" package - which appears to be a joystick handler / driver package. I guess that I should install this:
      http://www.ros.org/wiki/joy

      but I don't know how. Going to this:
      https://code.ros.org/svn/ros-pkg/stacks/joystick_drivers/trunk/joy/

      looks like it is probably the correct package - but I don't know how to download it in Linux? Specifically I don't know how to download the files using Linux so that I can then do this:
      http://www.ros.org/wiki/joy/Tutorials/ConfiguringALinuxJoystick

      Dr. Bruce.
    • Movie Maker
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
        Hey, Dr. Bruce!!!

        Good question. I would like to know that answer so I could tell you. But, I don't. But, I am sure there will be a Linux guru along any minute.

        Good Luck!

        Mel

        :-)

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
          i think you use the sudo command and http address

          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce J Weimer MD" <bjweimer@...> wrote:

          > I'm not really familiar with Linux.
          >
          > I'm trying to use ROS to run my Rovio using these instructions:
          > http://www.ros.org/wiki/rovio
          >
          > Everything works until I get to this step:
          >
          > 4 rosdep install rovio
          >
          > I then get an error saying that the install can not find the "joy" package - which appears to be a joystick handler / driver package. I guess that I should install this:
          > http://www.ros.org/wiki/joy
          >
          > but I don't know how. Going to this:
          > https://code.ros.org/svn/ros-pkg/stacks/joystick_drivers/trunk/joy/
          >
          > looks like it is probably the correct package - but I don't know how to download it in Linux? Specifically I don't know how to download the files using Linux so that I can then do this:
          > http://www.ros.org/wiki/joy/Tutorials/ConfiguringALinuxJoystick
          >

          > Dr. Bruce.

        • Bruce J Weimer MD
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
            Specifically? I ask because you can get yourself into trouble if you use
            commands incorrectly...

            Dr. Bruce.

            >i think you use the sudo command and http address
            >
            > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce J Weimer MD" <bjweimer@...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            >> I'm not really familiar with Linux.
            >>
            >> I'm trying to use ROS to run my Rovio using these instructions:
            >> http://www.ros.org/wiki/rovio
            >>
            >> Everything works until I get to this step:
            >>
            >> 4 rosdep install rovio
            >>
            >> I then get an error saying that the install can not find the "joy"
            >> package - which appears to be a joystick handler / driver package. I
            >> guess that I should install this:
            >> http://www.ros.org/wiki/joy
            >>
            >> but I don't know how. Going to this:
            >> https://code.ros.org/svn/ros-pkg/stacks/joystick_drivers/trunk/joy/
            >>
            >> looks like it is probably the correct package - but I don't know how to
            >> download it in Linux? Specifically I don't know how to download the files
            >> using Linux so that I can then do this:
            >> http://www.ros.org/wiki/joy/Tutorials/ConfiguringALinuxJoystick
            >>

            >> Dr. Bruce.

          • jamericanfreddy
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
              $ rosdep install joy
              $ rosmake joy

              i found this on installing joystick drivers

              http://www.ros.org/wiki/joy/Tutorials/ConfiguringALinuxJoystick

              --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce J Weimer MD" <bjweimer@...> wrote:

              > Specifically? I ask because you can get yourself into trouble if you use
              > commands incorrectly...
              >
              > Dr. Bruce.

            • jamericanfreddy
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
                it install the joy driver for you .like any other packages or drivers
                my friend next door that uses linux was just here and show me the page
                same link you had

                --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "jamericanfreddy" <jamericanfreddy@...> wrote:

                > $ rosdep install joy
                > $ rosmake joy
                >
                > i found this on installing joystick drivers
                >
                > http://www.ros.org/wiki/joy/Tutorials/ConfiguringALinuxJoystick
                >
                > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce J Weimer MD" <bjweimer@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Specifically? I ask because you can get yourself into trouble if you use
                > > commands incorrectly...
                > >
                > > Dr. Bruce.

              • jamericanfreddy
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
                  more info on ROSDEP command
                  ROS packages sometimes require external libraries and tools that must be provided by the operating system. These required libraries and tools are commonly referred to as system dependencies. In some cases these system dependencies are not installed by default. ROS provides a simple tool, rosdep, that is used to download and install system dependencies.
                  ROS packages must declare that they need these system dependencies in the package manifest. Let's look at the manifest for the turtlesim package: