Accelerometer

  • William Meyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2001
      EST
      From: Reconbot@...
      Subject: Re: Inverted Pendulum

      I saw the robot at acroname too. I was just wondering if there was a
      more efficent way to measure the tilt then hanging its batteries. I would
      mention an accelometere but they tend to run into money. (Even if they're
      cheep for some reason, there has to be another way that's closer to free..)

      -Francis

      Popular Mechanics/Science/Electronics or one of those mags once ran an
      article on building your own accelerometer. They sensor was just a
      potentiometer with a weight hanging off it which reacted to acceleration or
      tilting. Measure the resistance (current/voltage depending on your circuit)
      to find your orientation about various axiis (axis-es?). The handbook of
      model rocketry shows how to make an acceleration recorder by mounting a lead
      fishing weight on the end of a spring, in contact with a sheet of paper. The
      positive and negative g-forces move the weight up and down leaving a mark on
      the paper. Sometimes a set of mercury switches is all you need to tell if
      your 'bot is tipped a little bit or a lot.