Latest Issue of Poptronics on Robotics

  • Bruce Lerner
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
      Hi:

      I just received a Special Robotics issue from Poptronics (formerly
      Electronics Now/Popular Electronics). After my first read of it last
      night, my initial impression is that it's very, very low on hard
      technical content, and that, IMO, I'd not waste my money on it.

      Frankly, I think they've succeeded in dumbing the magazine down to a
      point of being worthless for a serious electronics hobbiest.

      Other opinions always welcome,
      Bruce
    • weyoun7@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
        Bruce,

        I could not agree more! That is why I dropped my subscription a couple of
        months ago. In my own opinion the only good magazine left for homebrew
        people (like me) is Nuts and Volts.

        Best Regards,
        -Justin R. Ratliff
        http://www.trcy.org
        http://ratliff7.tripod.com/knightrider.htm
      • Dennis or Shannon Moyes Clark
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
          When the editor first announced this combination he and I exchanged some
          emails. I told him that it would fail if it didn't keep its "hard" electronics
          base and just went for consumer pap. He said that there would be no such
          trouble and to try it and see. It appears that I was right and he was wrong,
          it went "pap", bummer - the magazine isn't carried in a single book store,
          magazine rack, supermarket or shop in my area, that too should have been a
          warning I guess. I'll have to write him and tell him how wrong he was; its
          been so long I don't even remember his name though.

          sigh, well, we still have Nuts & Volts and I've heard Circuit Cellar Inc is
          good too.

          DLC

          > Hi:
          >
          > I just received a Special Robotics issue from Poptronics (formerly
          > Electronics Now/Popular Electronics). After my first read of it last
          > night, my initial impression is that it's very, very low on hard
          > technical content, and that, IMO, I'd not waste my money on it.
          >
          > Frankly, I think they've succeeded in dumbing the magazine down to a
          > point of being worthless for a serious electronics hobbiest.
          >
          > Other opinions always welcome,
          > Bruce

          * Dennis Clark Aristocrat at heart dlc@... www.verinet.com/~dlc *
          * Shannon Moyes Clark Resident historian *
          * Be well, do good work, and stay in touch -- Garrison Keillor *
        • bnansel@nauticom.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
            At 6:48 AM 2/1/01, Bruce Lerner wrote:
            >Hi:
            >
            >I just received a Special Robotics issue from Poptronics (formerly
            >Electronics Now/Popular Electronics). After my first read of it last
            >night, my initial impression is that it's very, very low on hard
            >technical content, and that, IMO, I'd not waste my money on it.
            >
            >Frankly, I think they've succeeded in dumbing the magazine down to a
            >point of being worthless for a serious electronics hobbiest.
            >
            >Other opinions always welcome,
            >Bruce

            I've only skimmed the issue so far, but I found the BOEbot video add-on
            article worthwhile. I also think Iovine's article on building a modern
            version of the William Grey Walter turtle robot is superb. My only problem
            is that I had intended to do a similar project for my Nuts & Volts column
            this year. Oh, well...I suppose I could make it a real vacuum-tube version,
            just like the 1948 original. High-voltage robotics, yessir...

            The rest of the issue, well, pick and choose; lots of beginners will find
            useful tidbits.

            Of course, the very *best* way to get more meaty robotics articles in
            Poptronics (or any other magazine) is to write an article yourself. Shucks,
            they will even pay you. I guarantee you'll learn a lot about robots when
            you are forced to carefully document even the simplest of projects.

            -RLN