Re: iROBOT Create

  • lukeyes
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
      Hello,

      I have been experimenting with controlling a Roomba via the serial port tethered to my PC. There are a couple good open-source programs out there that demonstrate it and can build a basis. However, I tried to use Microsoft Robotics Studio for both Lego NXT and Roomba and just can't make heads or tails how to do it.

      What programming language are you familiar with? I tend to use Java, and tested the capability of my robot using an open source Java app, but there is also a C# app as well.

      I would recommend just forgoing MRS and write your own program, using the available software as a basis.

      But if you are focused on using MRS, I can experiment with it. Until then, I will try to find the example code for you.

      Luke

      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Peter Henry <phenry@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >

      > I just joined the SRS mailing list and I'm looking for help getting started
      > with an iROBOT Create robot. I have been trying to use it in within
      > Microsoft Robotics Development Studio but I got stuck after successfully
      > completing the first tutorial.
      >

      > My goal is to start a robotics club at my high school (I teach math and
      > science at South Lake High School in Seattle), and I thought of using the
      > Create as a platform because it is inexpensive, rugged and expandable.
      > Unfortunately, iROBOT mostly sells vacuum cleaners and has only minimal
      > support for users such as myself (no programming environment, very limited
      > documentation, etc.)
      >

      > I have a background in real-time control programming, believe it or not, but
      > I am not familiar enough with MRDS to make it work with the Create (or
      > Roomba).
      >

      > If you have experience with the iROBOT robots, especially in MRDS, I would
      > really appreciate hearing from you.
      >

      > Thank you.
      >

      > Peter Henry
      >
      > phenry@...
      >
      > pmhenry@...

    • jamericanfreddy
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
        i found is easy to program using SCI commands
        also the have a good GUI to control it
        SCI TESTER
        but also RoboRealm has a module to control it
        also ROOMBA STATUS should work,since a CREATE is a ROOMBA
        i found out both are really good platforms for robots
        the have sensors,motors,encoders,brains,and can dock by its self,35 to 40 lb payload
        12 inch round to use standard 12 inch deck

        i am getting ready to SELL ROOMBAS complete with deck,software and SCI CABLE ,and modified to use and charge 2 roomba's batteries
        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, T <famousbots@...> wrote:

        > I have one. Hard to program. Not like most micro controllers.
        >
        > I'm selling mine.
        >
        > Thomas
        >
        > Like robots?
        >
        > Visit my new site:
        >
        > http://www.robots-and-androids.com

      • lukeyes
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
          I found the website that has the program I was using to test my Roomba.

          http://www.dprg.org/projects/2009-07a/

          Looks like it originally came from the "Hacking Roomba" book, which has been recommended.

          Good luck!

          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "lukeyes" <lukeyes@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I have been experimenting with controlling a Roomba via the serial port tethered to my PC. There are a couple good open-source programs out there that demonstrate it and can build a basis. However, I tried to use Microsoft Robotics Studio for both Lego NXT and Roomba and just can't make heads or tails how to do it.
          >
          > What programming language are you familiar with? I tend to use Java, and tested the capability of my robot using an open source Java app, but there is also a C# app as well.
          >
          > I would recommend just forgoing MRS and write your own program, using the available software as a basis.
          >
          > But if you are focused on using MRS, I can experiment with it. Until then, I will try to find the example code for you.
          >
          > Luke
          >
          > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Peter Henry <phenry@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > >

          > > I just joined the SRS mailing list and I'm looking for help getting started
          > > with an iROBOT Create robot. I have been trying to use it in within
          > > Microsoft Robotics Development Studio but I got stuck after successfully
          > > completing the first tutorial.
          > >

          > > My goal is to start a robotics club at my high school (I teach math and
          > > science at South Lake High School in Seattle), and I thought of using the
          > > Create as a platform because it is inexpensive, rugged and expandable.
          > > Unfortunately, iROBOT mostly sells vacuum cleaners and has only minimal
          > > support for users such as myself (no programming environment, very limited
          > > documentation, etc.)
          > >

          > > I have a background in real-time control programming, believe it or not, but
          > > I am not familiar enough with MRDS to make it work with the Create (or
          > > Roomba).
          > >

          > > If you have experience with the iROBOT robots, especially in MRDS, I would
          > > really appreciate hearing from you.
          > >

          > > Thank you.
          > >

          > > Peter Henry
          > >
          > > phenry@
          > >
          > > pmhenry@

        • T
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2011
            Yeah, but you, Fred, are a robot genius!

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2011
              that another good i tried
              Luke check out the one in files i just added it can control alot more
              and test every sensor ,function,gives bytes info on data sent,info on how much charge on battery and charging current,battery voltage, battery temperature ,distance and angle and websever

              --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "lukeyes" <lukeyes@...> wrote:

              > I found the website that has the program I was using to test my Roomba.
              >
              > http://www.dprg.org/projects/2009-07a/
              >
              > Looks like it originally came from the "Hacking Roomba" book, which has been recommended.
              >
              > Good luck!
              >
              > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "lukeyes" <lukeyes@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello,
              > >
              > > I have been experimenting with controlling a Roomba via the serial port tethered to my PC. There are a couple good open-source programs out there that demonstrate it and can build a basis. However, I tried to use Microsoft Robotics Studio for both Lego NXT and Roomba and just can't make heads or tails how to do it.
              > >
              > > What programming language are you familiar with? I tend to use Java, and tested the capability of my robot using an open source Java app, but there is also a C# app as well.
              > >
              > > I would recommend just forgoing MRS and write your own program, using the available software as a basis.
              > >
              > > But if you are focused on using MRS, I can experiment with it. Until then, I will try to find the example code for you.
              > >
              > > Luke
              > >
              > > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Peter Henry <phenry@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hello,
              > > >

              > > > I just joined the SRS mailing list and I'm looking for help getting started
              > > > with an iROBOT Create robot. I have been trying to use it in within
              > > > Microsoft Robotics Development Studio but I got stuck after successfully
              > > > completing the first tutorial.
              > > >

              > > > My goal is to start a robotics club at my high school (I teach math and
              > > > science at South Lake High School in Seattle), and I thought of using the
              > > > Create as a platform because it is inexpensive, rugged and expandable.
              > > > Unfortunately, iROBOT mostly sells vacuum cleaners and has only minimal
              > > > support for users such as myself (no programming environment, very limited
              > > > documentation, etc.)
              > > >

              > > > I have a background in real-time control programming, believe it or not, but
              > > > I am not familiar enough with MRDS to make it work with the Create (or
              > > > Roomba).
              > > >

              > > > If you have experience with the iROBOT robots, especially in MRDS, I would
              > > > really appreciate hearing from you.
              > > >

              > > > Thank you.
              > > >

              > > > Peter Henry
              > > >
              > > > phenry@
              > > >
              > > > pmhenry@

            • Peter Henry
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 16 7:02 PM

                Thanks to Lucas Keyes for helping me get started with my iROBOT Create at the workshop today.

                When I got home I was able to successfully get it running with the test program in RoombaComm (Hacking Roomba) and a serial cable. I had less success with the Bluetooth link.

                Now with the serial cable connected I have to figure out to get it to do stuff.

                Does anyone have an opinion of the book Hacking Roomba? It’s pretty expensive but I will buy it if I need to.

                Thanks,

                Peter

              • jamericanfreddy
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 18 6:55 AM
                  the hacking book has alot of very good info on CREATE and ROOMBA
                  what i have found out using both CREATE and ROOMBA tht CREATE is very high cost $130 compare to a used ROOMBA under $35,it has near the same hardware and SCI commands as CREATE,only thing lacking is RX and TX ports,but can be added easy for adding another microcontroller board,ROOMBA does have a extra motor driver port ,3 total
                  on mine i design another battery and charging circuit,so a longer run time
                  wow i see the hacking roomba book went up in price $65 used instead of $30 when i got it
                  it talks about using WIFI and using LINUX AND LOT MORE

                  --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Peter Henry <phenry@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks to Lucas Keyes for helping me get started with my iROBOT Create at
                  > the workshop today.
                  >
                  > When I got home I was able to successfully get it running with the test
                  > program in RoombaComm (Hacking Roomba) and a serial cable. I had less
                  > success with the Bluetooth link.
                  >

                  > Now with the serial cable connected I have to figure out to get it to do
                  > stuff.
                  >

                  > Does anyone have an opinion of the book Hacking Roomba? It's pretty
                  > expensive but I will buy it if I need to.
                  >

                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Peter

                • Lucas
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 18 9:45 PM
                    I don't know much about the Hacking Roomba book, but what are you planning to do with the Roomba?

                    Did you just want to figure out how to set up a simple forward->backup->turn->forward program?

                    If so, I could take some time and try to figure out how to set that up with roombacomm.

                    Have you programmed in java before?