Line following now at Robogames 2011.

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2011
      Hello all,

      This came arcoss my e-mail,

      Dear SRSPresident,

      We are organising a line follower race competition at Robogames 2011. We would like to send out the information to all the robot enthusiasts interested in participating. User can design and bring thier own racer car or use our INNORACER, specifically designed for line following compettiions. It has won several competitions in schools and universities. Please check out the details on the racer car at http://www.kowatec.com/prod/inn/products.php?i=k-racer

      We would like to request you to post an announcement about the compettion in your group to help us reach all the users.

      If anyone is interested in competition or the racer, they can contact us directly.

      Regards,
      Ken Benedick
      Kowatec Corporation
      San Jose, CA-95131
      408-451-9779
    • David Buckley
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2011
        It looked like an interesting module.
        Same pinout as the Parallax Stamp, they seem to have copied most of Parallaxes commands, and they have copied chunks of Parallax's manual as well, word for word including diagrams!
        And it has strings.
        So far so good.
        They say there is 228k RAM but don't say how much EEPROM for user code and they don't even give an indication of possible program size by lines!
        Even worse there doesn't seem to be any way of getting information in or out of the modules other than by downloading a program.
        There is no serial port either in hardware or software!
        There are no commands to talk to IIC or SPI devices.
        You can DEBUGIN and DEBUGOUT to the IDE but that is not much use for a stand alone system.
        Do they expect users to write their own bit banging routines?
        You could do word processing in that amount but then you need the PC to get the results out.
        What do they expect people to do?
        Do you really need 228k of ram to flash an LED?
        PULSIN and PULSOUT only have 5us resolution, even the antiquated BS2 has 2us.
        No information on current requirements for the modules.
        No information on sink or source current for I/O.
        They don't actually want you to buy any either, the website seems to allow you to select to buy one but then the payment arrangements are 20 years out of date and more suitable for shipments of 1000 pieces.
        Also they are not quite sure how many pins the modules have is it 16 or 24 (it is 24 pins with 16 I/O), you would think they could get that right.
        I was quite exited about it at first but considering all the missing commands (its a compiler so there was no question of running out of room) it has to be one of the worst modules I have seen.
        I guess they are relying on their special bus but the workings of that are secret.
        Probably nice electronics but for usability no stars at all.

        DAvid