Re: [SeattleRobotics] Machine Shop Ideas for a Starter

  • Erik Knise
    Message 1 of 57 , Nov 5, 2010
      I'm just going to say NOOOOO, don't do it!  I've used small or large drill presses with those horrible cross slide vices from HF.  Even after you buy it, take it completely apart, clean it, lube it, and put it back together there is no form of repeatability and lots of backlash.  I've spent probably at least 200 hours using one of those XY tables and I would never do it again.  I was also just drilling holes in aluminum and wood, sometimes steel.  I decided to chuck up a 1/8" end mill one time and it didn't fair so well.  If it's the only option, it's the only option, but it wasn't pretty or easy.  I just really needed to cut a slot in some aluminum.

      I'm never the one to say this but the idea is great but I'm almost positive you will end up broke and more frustrated than if you saved for some slightly better tools.

      Something along those lines will last you a lot longer.

      On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 8:08 PM, David Li <davecyli@...> wrote:

      Hi All,

      I'm thinking of building a starter machine shop. My budget is pretty low around 200-300 dollars.

      I found this configuration on Reddit for $200, which should let me do some small scale lathe and mill work.
      http://www.delcollo.us/icp/200machineshop.html

      What do you guys feel about this and do you guys have any suggestions for a newbie?

      I've taken classes on the mill and lathe at the University of Washington so I'm not jumping into this without knowing anything.

      Thanks,
      David Li

      --
      Mechanical Engineering

      Chassis Team Member
      University of Washington Formula SAE Team 21, 22

      Grain Mill Project / Grant Writing Member
      Engineers Without Borders
      (425) 736-2357
      lidavidc@...

      --
      Erik L. Knise
      Pacific Shipping Company
      Message 57 of 57 , Nov 16, 2010
        Must have been. Maybe trying to drill a hole in a machine tool? Into another drill bit?

        Even so I think I would have stopped! Surely something "felt wrong" about the process? :)

        dpa