Re: [SeattleRobotics] Machine Shop Ideas for a Starter

  • Peter Balch
    Message 1 of 57 , Nov 5, 2010
      David

      > It seems like purchasing a mill would be better in the long run..

      Oops, I wasn't meaning to put you off. I think the milling idea is good. I
      don't know about the lathe chuck though. I was thinking of buying myself a
      cross vice for christmas and seeing how good it would be. I've done a little
      milling with my press drill (using small cutters) and the chuck hasn't
      fallen out yet. I don't even know if it comes out.

      As David Buckley asks: what are you wanting to do with it? Personally, I'd
      be ecstatic if I could set up a small CNC and mill pcbs.

      David's suggestion of a mill/drill is good but Sherline mini mill/drills
      start at around $700. Beyond your $200-$300 budget. And the bench-space is
      much bigger. If all the work you'll ever want to do will fit in a 6"-travel
      vice then a mill/drill seems like overkill.

      I presume that this is for your light personal use - not for the heavy duty
      University Machine Shop?

      Peter
    • dpa_io
      Message 57 of 57 , Nov 16, 2010
        Must have been. Maybe trying to drill a hole in a machine tool? Into another drill bit?

        Even so I think I would have stopped! Surely something "felt wrong" about the process? :)

        dpa