kiva dance

  • Robin Hewitt
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 10, 2010
      Apparently this robotics-based business has been around for at least a couple years but I just now stumbled across it for the first time today. Maybe some others haven't seen this yet, so I thought I'd pass along a few link:

      The system:

      The backstory:

      And the dance:

      Oh, and here's where I happened to see them mentioned -- not about robots but it's an interesting look at some of the ways the business of doing business is changing:

      Here comes the future...one bot at a time....

      - Robin

    • mpayson
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 13, 2010
        Judging from the lack of response, I assume there is no interest in this? If you are interested, please let me know!

        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Mike Payson <mike@...> wrote:

        > If by organize it you mean post a message to the list to see how many people
        > are interested, I can do that. :-)
        >
        > Anybody interested in meeting for dinner someplace Friday night before
        > Robothon (the 22nd)? Any suggestions for where and when?
        >
        > On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Pete Miles <robots@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I don't have any problem with this. It will need someone to organize it.
        > >
        > > Pete

      • Xandon Frogget
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 13, 2010
          Hey I am up for Dinner. My wife will watch the girls! I love food, and robots!

          -Xandon
          On Oct 13, 2010, at 10:59 AM, mpayson wrote:

          Judging from the lack of response, I assume there is no interest in this? If you are interested, please let me know!

          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Mike Payson <mike@...> wrote:

          > If by organize it you mean post a message to the list to see how many people
          > are interested, I can do that. :-)
          >
          > Anybody interested in meeting for dinner someplace Friday night before
          > Robothon (the 22nd)? Any suggestions for where and when?
          >
          > On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Pete Miles <robots@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I don't have any problem with this. It will need someone to organize it.
          > >
          > > Pete

        • hines_kevin
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 15, 2010
            Hello All,

            How do I sign up for the Friday night dinner &/or hack session?

            I'll be visiting Seattle on a business trip ... I live in Virginia, so I don't get to Seattle as often as I'd like. I'll only be in Seattle until Saturday morning, so I'd like to attend a Friday evening event.

            How would I sign up for the Friday evening dinner or hack session?

            Thanks!
            Kevin

            PS - I was last able to attend a Robothon in 2004 and I had a blast!

            Kevin Hines
            www.RoanokeRobotics.org

            --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Xandon Frogget <xandon@...> wrote:

            > Hey I am up for Dinner. My wife will watch the girls! I love food, and
            > robots!
            >
            > -Xandon
            > On Oct 13, 2010, at 10:59 AM, mpayson wrote:
            >
            > > Judging from the lack of response, I assume there is no interest in
            > > this? If you are interested, please let me know!
            > >
            > > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Mike Payson <mike@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > If by organize it you mean post a message to the list to see how
            > > many people
            > > > are interested, I can do that. :-)
            > > >
            > > > Anybody interested in meeting for dinner someplace Friday night
            > > before
            > > > Robothon (the 22nd)? Any suggestions for where and when?

            > > organize it.

          • Mike Payson
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 15, 2010
              Hi Kevin,

              Unfortunately the Friday Night Hack Session has been canceled, and so far you are the only other person who has expressed interest in a Friday Night get together. I am still interested in getting together, but may be limited in my flexibility depending on the state of my Bot by then. Hopefully others will chime in and we can figure out a way to make something work.

              Mike

              On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 7:58 AM, hines_kevin <KEVINHINES@...> wrote:

              Hello All,

              How do I sign up for the Friday night dinner &/or hack session?

              I'll be visiting Seattle on a business trip ... I live in Virginia, so I don't get to Seattle as often as I'd like.  I'll only be in Seattle until Saturday morning, so I'd like to attend a Friday evening event.

              How would I sign up for the Friday evening dinner or hack session?

              Thanks!
              Kevin

              PS - I was last able to attend a Robothon in 2004 and I had a blast!

              Kevin Hines
              www.RoanokeRobotics.org

              --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Xandon Frogget <xandon@...> wrote:

              > Hey I am up for Dinner. My wife will watch the girls! I love food, and
              > robots!
              >
              > -Xandon
              > On Oct 13, 2010, at 10:59 AM, mpayson wrote:
              >
              > > Judging from the lack of response, I assume there is no interest in
              > > this? If you are interested, please let me know!
              > >
              > > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Mike Payson <mike@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > If by organize it you mean post a message to the list to see how
              > > many people
              > > > are interested, I can do that. :-)
              > > >
              > > > Anybody interested in meeting for dinner someplace Friday night
              > > before
              > > > Robothon (the 22nd)? Any suggestions for where and when?

              > > organize it.

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 SeattleRobotics-digest@yahoogroups.com
                 SeattleRobotics-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Xandon Frogget
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 19, 2010
                Looks like 2 of us were able to decide! We are getting together for a pre weekend friday night dinner Robot Social at http://www.mcmenamins.com/queenanne from 6:30 to 9pm. If your interested we will see you there!

                -Xandon Frogget

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 19, 2010
                  I'm in! Does this work for you Kevin?

                  On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:37 AM, Xandon Frogget <xandon@...> wrote:

                  Looks like 2 of us were able to decide! We are getting together for a pre weekend friday night dinner Robot Social at http://www.mcmenamins.com/queenanne from 6:30 to 9pm. If your interested we will see you there!

                  -Xandon Frogget

                  On Oct 15, 2010, at 8:13 PM, Mike Payson wrote:

                  Hi Kevin,

                  Unfortunately the Friday Night Hack Session has been canceled, and so far you are the only other person who has expressed interest in a Friday Night get together. I am still interested in getting together, but may be limited in my flexibility depending on the state of my Bot by then. Hopefully others will chime in and we can figure out a way to make something work.

                  Mike

                  On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 7:58 AM, hines_kevin <KEVINHINES@...> wrote:

                  Hello All,

                  How do I sign up for the Friday night dinner &/or hack session?

                  I'll be visiting Seattle on a business trip ... I live in Virginia, so I don't get to Seattle as often as I'd like.  I'll only be in Seattle until Saturday morning, so I'd like to attend a Friday evening event.

                  How would I sign up for the Friday evening dinner or hack session?

                  Thanks!
                  Kevin

                  PS - I was last able to attend a Robothon in 2004 and I had a blast!

                  Kevin Hines
                  www.RoanokeRobotics.org

                  --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Xandon Frogget <xandon@...> wrote:

                  > Hey I am up for Dinner. My wife will watch the girls! I love food, and
                  > robots!
                  >
                  > -Xandon
                  > On Oct 13, 2010, at 10:59 AM, mpayson wrote:
                  >
                  > > Judging from the lack of response, I assume there is no interest in
                  > > this? If you are interested, please let me know!
                  > >
                  > > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Mike Payson <mike@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > If by organize it you mean post a message to the list to see how
                  > > many people
                  > > > are interested, I can do that. :-)
                  > > >
                  > > > Anybody interested in meeting for dinner someplace Friday night
                  > > before
                  > > > Robothon (the 22nd)? Any suggestions for where and when?

                  > > organize it.

                • Erik Knise
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 19, 2010
                    That sounds good to me.  I will most likely be there.  For some reason I think I have plans already...maybe I'll drag them along.

                    --
                    Erik L. Knise
                    Pacific Shipping Company
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 19, 2010
                      I'm also in!

                      Thanks, Xandon & Mike! :-)

                      Do I need to know any special info needed to find suitable parking near the restaurant?

                      How should I find you guys there?

                      Thanks,
                      Kevin

                      KevinHines@...
                      www.RoanokeRobotics.com

                      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Erik Knise <elknise@...> wrote:

                      > That sounds good to me. I will most likely be there. For some reason I
                      > think I have plans already...maybe I'll drag them along.
                      >
                      > On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 2:10 AM, Mike Payson <mike@...> wrote:
                      >

                      > > I'm in! Does this work for you Kevin?
                      > >

                      > > On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:37 AM, Xandon Frogget <xandon@...>wrote:
                      > >

                      > >> Looks like 2 of us were able to decide! We are getting together for a pre
                      > >> weekend friday night dinner Robot Social at
                      > >> http://www.mcmenamins.com/queenanne from 6:30 to 9pm. If your interested
                      > >> we will see you there!
                      > >>
                      > >> -Xandon Frogget
                      > >>

                      > >> --
                      > Erik L. Knise
                      > Pacific Shipping Company
                      > Seattle, WA

                    • Mike Payson
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 19, 2010
                        Good questions. McMennamins is right across from Seattle center, so parking can be challenging in the evenings, but on street parking is usually available. Probably the easiest way to find us is just to ask. I'll tell the host/hostess that we are expecting some other people and she can point us out. I'll probably be there a bit early, so ask for Mike.

                        David Housely and Erik Knise have confirmed on IRC, anybody else gonna make it? RSVPing would be preferred so we can get a big enough table, but if you just show up that's fine too!

                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 20, 2010
                          I sent Kevin my cell number in case he needs help finding it.
                          -Xandon

                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 20, 2010
                            Thanks, Xandon!

                            BTW, when we get together for dinner, I'd like to get advice from each of you guys...

                            A friend and I are preparing to start a robotics club, back home in Roanoke, Virginia, and I'd appreciate any helpful advice you guys can share, about how to start a robotics club.

                            I look forward to seeing you guys Friday evening!

                            Thanks,
                            Kevin

                          • hines_kevin
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 22, 2010
                              Hey Mike, Erik & Xandon, It was great to meet with you guys for dinner this evening, to kickoff Robothon Weekend!

                              Thanks very much for your helpful advice about starting a robotics club back home in Virginia! :-)

                              You guys asked me to share my FPV (first person view) RC flight videos, where I fly via goggles, seeing the view from the RC aircraft's wireless video camera link... so here are some links...

                              Here's the link to all of my videos on Vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/user857275/videos
                              And a few of my favorites are:
                              -Flight to 7000 feet (horizontal) range: http://www.vimeo.com/12042121
                              -Snowy day flying last winter: http://www.vimeo.com/8047833
                              -Relaxing FPV flight: http://www.vimeo.com/6028984

                              This awesome video, of a guy up in Canada, flying his RC airplane via FPV, is how I became aware of FPV flying: http://www.vimeo.com/1305639

                              Here's an amazing video, by a friend of mine, who flew via FPV out to a lighthouse 2 km (about 1.3 miles) off the coast of Norway: http://www.vimeo.com/1437101

                              Here's RCGroups: www.RCGroups.com, an awesome discussion board about everything to do with RC.

                              For my next project, I'd like to build & fly a tricopter, based upon this guy's design, except I want to upgrade it to fly by FPV (wireless video):
                              http://www.vimeo.com/7491815

                              And here's a great video of a guy flying a tricopter via FPV video:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrvAMyobsAw

                              What other info can I share with you?

                              Have a great time at Robothon!

                              Thanks again for the helpful advice!

                              Thanks,
                              Kevin

                              kevinhines@...
                              www.RoanokeRobotics.com

                              --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "hines_kevin" <KEVINHINES@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks, Xandon!
                              >
                              > BTW, when we get together for dinner, I'd like to get advice from each of you guys...
                              >
                              > A friend and I are preparing to start a robotics club, back home in Roanoke, Virginia, and I'd appreciate any helpful advice you guys can share, about how to start a robotics club.
                              >
                              > I look forward to seeing you guys Friday evening!
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              > Kevin

                            • Erik Knise

                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 23, 2010
                                  Yes, It was good to meet last night. Great to talk! I love the video's they are great (nice music). The Tricopter looks impressive as well.
                                  Robothon was a blast today. Lot's of people, and Robo-Magellon was very impressive.

                                  I keep thinking of how it appears as though it would be easy to add autonomy to one of those RC Aircraft. I may not be considering all of the variables involved. I suspect it would be easy to add it, yet difficult to make it actually do things like fly around and avoid hitting things.

                                  Hope all works out with a new club!

                                  -Xandon

                                  On Oct 22, 2010, at 9:58 PM, hines_kevin wrote:

                                  Hey Mike, Erik & Xandon, It was great to meet with you guys for dinner this evening, to kickoff Robothon Weekend!

                                  Thanks very much for your helpful advice about starting a robotics club back home in Virginia! :-)

                                  You guys asked me to share my FPV (first person view) RC flight videos, where I fly via goggles, seeing the view from the RC aircraft's wireless video camera link... so here are some links...

                                  Here's the link to all of my videos on Vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/user857275/videos
                                  And a few of my favorites are:
                                  -Flight to 7000 feet (horizontal) range: http://www.vimeo.com/12042121
                                  -Snowy day flying last winter: http://www.vimeo.com/8047833
                                  -Relaxing FPV flight: http://www.vimeo.com/6028984

                                  This awesome video, of a guy up in Canada, flying his RC airplane via FPV, is how I became aware of FPV flying: http://www.vimeo.com/1305639

                                  Here's an amazing video, by a friend of mine, who flew via FPV out to a lighthouse 2 km (about 1.3 miles) off the coast of Norway: http://www.vimeo.com/1437101

                                  Here's RCGroups: www.RCGroups.com, an awesome discussion board about everything to do with RC.

                                  For my next project, I'd like to build & fly a tricopter, based upon this guy's design, except I want to upgrade it to fly by FPV (wireless video):
                                  http://www.vimeo.com/7491815

                                  And here's a great video of a guy flying a tricopter via FPV video:
                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrvAMyobsAw

                                  What other info can I share with you?

                                  Have a great time at Robothon!

                                  Thanks again for the helpful advice!

                                  Thanks,
                                  Kevin

                                  kevinhines@...
                                  www.RoanokeRobotics.com

                                  --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "hines_kevin" <KEVINHINES@...> wrote:

                                  > Thanks, Xandon!
                                  >
                                  > BTW, when we get together for dinner, I'd like to get advice from each of you guys...
                                  >
                                  > A friend and I are preparing to start a robotics club, back home in Roanoke, Virginia, and I'd appreciate any helpful advice you guys can share, about how to start a robotics club.
                                  >
                                  > I look forward to seeing you guys Friday evening!
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  > Kevin

                                • Mike Payson
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 23, 2010