Re: [SeattleRobotics] OT: 3D CAD for Linux

  • Matthew Tedder
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 28, 2010

      Here's the company my brother recommends.  You can export from Blender or other tools.  But up front, they also present their own system for designing what you want 3D printed.

      Matthew

      On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Matthew Tedder <matthewct@...> wrote:

      I just sent him an email asking what the add-on was that he uses.  He actually works (like most of my family) in ship building (yatch design and construction) and uses Blender to not only create parts for custom engineered stuff but also animated walk-throughs of yatch designs.  Every new yatch has a number of technological innovations and new kinds of materials used.  It's always been like that.  Ninety and fourtyfive degree angles are rare... Most things are in 3D curves and have to be very structurally sound.  The oceans are acidic (bad for electronics), constantly moving, water can hit with hundreds or even thousands of pounds of pressure.  Temperatures vary from the extremely cold antarctic to very hot tropics.  Humidity brings challenges, too. Boat building is highly detailed, high skill labor, with considerably less pay than house builders who do extremely crude work in comparison.

      I will get back here when my brother gets back with me (depends on how busy he is--but he does have a Nexus-One phone that I am very envious of).  In the mean time, Google shows a few things:

      http://www.blendernation.com/2006/04/27/cad-modeling-in-blender/

      Matthew

      On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Charles Holzschuh <xolzscxux@...> wrote:

      Blender is very cool especially if you are doing something like making a dragon. There are plenty of tutorials for modeling. I think it can output a .dxf file. Most G-code generators can read .dxf files. Do you know what add on packages your brother uses?

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 6, 2010
        So I guess the answers are "no" ?

        just curious,
        dpa

        --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "dpa_io" <davida@...> wrote:

        > Anybody built one yet? Any videos?
        >

        > thanks,
        > dpa
        >

        > --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Miles" <robots@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I love legos. They are a great media for building robots. You should see many of Carols wonderful creations. Maybe a good lego only contest would be fun. Lego robots have always been welcome to compete in any event, even the new Double Cross event. Vex robotics kits would have also been ideal for the Double Cross event.
        > >
        > > The Robothon's dates have been solely based on open dates at the Seattle Center. There are more events that want to be there than there are weekends.
        > >
        > > The idea of the Double Cross event was to encourage the jr and sr high schools to participate since the event was designed around the same gear that all the different FIRST programs use. Nothing new for them, and for most of the rest of us builders, we have most of the gear needed to build those robots.
        > >
        > > Pete

      • Pete Miles
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
          This has been a crazy year with planning the Robothon. A lot of changes, both
          planned and unplanned have occurred.

          We have had to restructure the Robothon significantly to preserve it for this
          year.

          Please go to the Robothon website (www.robothon.org) for the current schedule of
          events. We will keep it updated as quick as we can if more changes occur.

          Friday Night
          There will be no hack session on Friday night this year.
          No equipment loadin or storage

          Saturday:
          RoboMagellan will occur on Saturday as planned

          Robotic Demonstrations and Displays - Saturday Only. We will have a couple
          dozen FIRST/FRC/FLL robots being shown. FRC will be doing a build at the event
          to watch them build robots. FIRST will be showing off several schools robots,
          and will give the public a chance to drive their robots in one of 2 arenas.
          There will be live FIRST robot demonstrations in the other arena. FLL will have
          two tables setup to show off what lego robots can do.

          We have a couple dozen tables to show off all of the robotic creations that we
          robot builders make. Bring your robotic creations - working or not - to show
          off to other robot builders and to the general public. This is a one day event
          so bring your robots and lets have some fun.

          Tables will be on a first come first serve basis. You can reserve a table on
          the Robothon website.

          One of the things that made the Robothon great in the past is all the different
          robots being shown off and not competing in contests. Lets bring that glory
          back to the Robothon this year.

          No contests this year, except for the RoboMagellan, so no stress. This should
          be a fun time.

          Load in begins Saturday morning at around 9:00 am, and everything is to be
          loaded out at aroung 5:00 pm

          Sunday:
          Combat Robots all day. These robots are engineering marvals. Antweight, Beetle
          weight, Hobby weight, and the ever popular 30 lb Sportsman class. Still some
          openings for some very exciting robot combat. These robots events are some of
          the most exciting contests that is ever seen. Makes TV look boring. Come and
          have fun watching this event. Lots of seating. Bring a robot and join in the
          melee. Autonomous robots are always welcome.

          None of the Saturday's activities will be occuring on Sunday.
          Load out begins around 5pm

          T-Shirts/Raffle Prizes:
          No t-shirts this year. We don't know about raffle prizes for this year. If
          there is, it will be on Saturday only. Probably won't know what they are until
          game day. There might be some surprises. I might even offer raffle tickets for
          free to everyone that brings a robot to show. Who know what is in store.

          We are all looking forward to seeing you all on October 23/24

          Pete Miles
        • Mike Payson
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
            In lieu of the Friday night hack session, maybe we should have a Friday night dinner instead? Would be nice to have a chance to meet with the people who are in from out of town.

            Mike

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               SeattleRobotics-digest@yahoogroups.com
               SeattleRobotics-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • dan michaels
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
              --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Mike Payson <mike@...> wrote:

              Even without all the contests of the past, it should be fun to
              have a bunch of robot demonstrations, so visitors can see the
              sort of things that roboticists are building. Just make sure the
              batteries are charged, so the bots do something interesting. :)

            • Pete Miles
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
                I don't have any problem with this. It will need someone to organize it.

                Pete

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 13, 2010
                  On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Pete Miles <robots@...> wrote:

                  Saturday:
                  RoboMagellan will occur on Saturday as planned

                  Question for the organizers... How strictly are the rules enforced? Specifically, I'm referring to the dead-man remote kill switch. Have you been enforcing that it has to be a dead-man type switch?

                  Thanks,
                  Jon

                • Bob Cook
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 13, 2010
                    Last year the requirement was to be able to demonstrate a mechanism that can safely stop your robot. Ideally this would be a dead-man type switch, but not everyone had exactly that. Size and weight of your robot influence the decision about what is needed for safety reasons.

                    It would help if you described what you do have.

                    Bob Cook

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 13, 2010
                      What I've been using to date is one of the buttons on my wireless joystick (the robot has a built-in PC). Once I switch it to autonomous mode, it ignores the joystick part, and just watches for the pause button to be pressed.

                      - Jon

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 13, 2010
                        That should work.

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 13, 2010
                               I have been a judge of the contest for several years and a true "Dead Man" switch is preferable as it kills the robot in its tracks when the switch is released, but we realize that it might be a bit complex to implement this in some arrangements for what ever reason.  Some of the slower RoboMagellan robots had a button type of switch that the operator could easily reach and instantly stop the robot in case of failure, and we saw no problem with this.  The true goal of this contest is to have entrants exhibit pretty good GPS navigation and vision systems (for the orange cones) and we don't want to deny a person's entry for something that really does not cause any safety problem or violate the overall contest goals.
                               Bottom line: a well-designed robot using the best available mechanics, structure, navigation, software and vision system that beats all other entrants as to speed and following the course correctly should win.
                               Just my 2 bits,
                               Tom C.

                          That should work.

                          Sent from my iPhone