RE: [SeattleRobotics] Re: garden hose water control valve

  • Rob Purdy
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2010
        How sensitive is the level your trying to achieve? Waht's the budget? I can think of several options.
       Rob

      To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
      From: crazzyotto@...
      Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 04:25:43 +0000
      Subject: [SeattleRobotics] Re: garden hose water control valve

      tnx rob. but that seems to be an ON/OFF valve and i need one which is variable from 0 - 90 degrees [full ON to fell OFF] via a servo or 12 VDC input /variable control voltage which is water level dependent.
      peace, crazzy

    • crazzy
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 7, 2010
        rob,
        i thought that i had sent you a detailed note w/ a powerpoint drawing of my situation.  i cant find it in any of my folders; and, you didnt respond.  could it be that it got swallowed up by the web?
        tnx,
        crazzy

        To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com
        From: crazzyotto@...
        Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 04:25:43 +0000

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 7, 2010
          Well what I didn't get from it was why the need for flow rate control.  If that is the case thme it would seem a metered pump or on off with a flow rate meter is the route you really need to go.

          Rob

          To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com

          From: crazzyotto@...
          Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 04:25:43 +0000

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 8, 2010
            hmmm..............  actually, i believe that u are correct.  i am trying to control the rate of flow from the hose.  the rate needs to be variable and based upon a user adjustable setting which is visually chosen to keep the water level at the desired depth based upon an input from a depth measuring device.  let's say that the spillway shape/size is an uncontrolled [though slowly changing] variable.  so, if the exit flow rate increases, the depth meter senses a drop in depth and sends a signal to the flow control valve to increase the rate of flow until the desired preset depth is again reached.  then the flow valve is told to reduce the rate so as to maintain - once again - the selected preset level.
            does that make it any clearer?

            crazzy

            To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com

            From: crazzyotto@...
            Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 04:25:43 +0000

            tnx rob. but that seems to be an ON/OFF valve and i need one which is variable from 0 - 90 degrees [full ON to fell OFF] via a servo or 12 VDC input /variable control voltage which is water level dependent.
            peace, crazzy

          • jim35848
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 8, 2010
              Have you considered something completely mechanical? What I'm thinking about is a variation on the valve in you toilet tank. When it is full, it turns off. When is it very low, it runs full open. When it is near the desired level, it is partially open and its flow nearly matches the outflow.

              Thanks,

              Jim
            • crazzy
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 8, 2010
                jim, the issue is that in my app., i cant have something disrupting
                the flow in the main 'tank'.. hmmm,,,,,,, perhaps if i had an external
                'tank' for the float to reside in.............. then, the user could
                still adjust the desired depth and not impede the free
                flow.......................... hmmmmmm.............
                guess i'm predisposed to an electronic solution.
              • Rob Purdy
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 8, 2010
                    If the float was controling the valve then the adjustment would be constant.  Connect the valve to a float at the end of a long lever.  The lower the water gets the more flow you have.

                  Rob

                  To: SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 9, 2010
                    Hello crazzy,

                    http://www.amesfirewater.com/Products/979GD

                    Lots of different options there. Use a "Wet Well" to put the float in.

                    > jim, the issue is that in my app., i cant have something disrupting
                    > the flow in the main 'tank'.. hmmm,,,,,,, perhaps if i had an external
                    > 'tank' for the float to reside in.............. then, the user could
                    > still adjust the desired depth and not impede the free
                    > flow.......................... hmmmmmm.............
                    > guess i'm predisposed to an electronic solution.

                    Best regards,
                    Charles mailto:cthurston@...
                  • crazzy
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 9, 2010
                      sounds like the guts of a toilet tank. but, the opening in the bottom
                      is never closed and so, the valve never closes either. i think the
                      concept has possibilities. not sure how the user would control the
                      depth............

                      i'd still like to find a 'servo' to turn the standard hose flow control
                      valve i pictured in 1st note.
                    • crazzy
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 9, 2010
                        charles, tnx for the lead.
                      • Peter Balch
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 9, 2010
                          > sounds like the guts of a toilet tank. but, the opening in the bottom
                          > is never closed and so, the valve never closes either. i think the
                          > concept has possibilities. not sure how the user would control the
                          > depth............

                          Put the whole stopcock/float assembly on an axle. The user has a lever to
                          turn the axle. The stopcock is connected to the water supply via a flexible
                          hose. If the lever is the same length as the float-arm then the tip of the
                          lever shows the desired water level.

                          Peter
                        • crazzy
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 9, 2010
                            peter, that sounds like a novel approach. all that gear can b put in a
                            separate 'external' tank w/ common water level. i think i'll try and
                            see if i can manage something like that. tnx, crazzy