Re: Kids Robotics classes

  • tec1122000
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2010
      I recommend the BASIC Stamp Boe-Bot at www.parallax.com for kid's robotics classes.

      There are better microcontrollers on the market than the BASIC Stamp, but the book that comes with the kit is very good. A student whith no previous experience in robotics can follow that book successfully. Then from there, I recommend the BASICX from www.basicx.com. It fits in the socket for the BASIC Stamp but it has much higher features as a microcontroller.

      --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Kavita Jain <kavitaj@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > I am looking for Robotics classes for kids (age 10 and above),
      > Can someone please recommend any?
      >
      > thanks, Kavita

    • Adeilton Oliveira
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2010
        I recommend www.babuinoproject.blogspot.com

        Steve Kozachik wrote:

        Kavita

        I've never seen a robotics class for kids, but there are lots of competitions.  Most seem to be aimed at older ages.

        I set up a very informal Rover Girls Robot Club for my niece and her friends, and have been following a loose progression of projects.  First was brush bots, lots of Instructables and Google videos on how.  Next was working as a team to build a Parallax BOE Bot, and program it to line follow.  Tons of info on that at parallax.com.

        Current project, interferred with by summer vacation schedules, is to hack a Thunder Tumbler (see Instructables for info) into a photovore.  I get the Thunder Tumblers at local thrift stores (without remote controls) for about $3.  You can order "refills" or "refresher kits" for BOE Bots from Parallax and get a good deal on sensors to turn them into photovores or phobes.

        Next step is planned to be arduino controllers to actually do a bit of programming on the Thunder Tumblers.  Lots of room "under the hood" on the toys.  You can get the chip and board, with bootloader, from Ebay.  Or get chips and program them separately.  Then use breadboards to mount them.

        If you have specific questions, we can go offline and exchange ideas via direct email.

        Steve K.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2010
          The BasicX while being a powerful microcontroller has a very steep learning curve which is made more difficult by the poor documentation (especially when compared to Parallax's documentation and Tech Help).

          If the objective is to study the BasicX controller then fine, use it, but if the objective is to study robotics and or introduce students to microcontroller control then stay well clear of BasicX.

          Parallax's Stamps are an ideal starting point.

          When students have pushed Parallax's BasicStamp to its limits then they may be ready to learn to use other 'more powerful' controllers. However in my experience these other conrollers have documentation which is far from adequate.

          David

          There are better microcontrollers on the market than the BASIC Stamp, but the book that comes with the kit is very good. A student whith no previous experience in robotics can follow that book successfully. Then from there, I recommend the BASICX from www.basicx.com. It fits in the socket for the BASIC Stamp but it has much higher features as a microcontroller.

          --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Kavita Jain <kavitaj@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > I am looking for Robotics classes for kids (age 10 and above),
          > Can someone please recommend any?
          >
          > thanks, Kavita

        • Kevin Ross
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2010
            Kavita,

            Where are you located? The best bet for 10 yr olds is a LEGO based robotics camp. The other replys about Parallax controllers are likely to be way too advanced for 10 yr olds.

            There are at least 3 or 4 in the area this summer.

            Kevin