Kids Robotics classes

  • Kavita Jain
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2010
      Hi

      I am looking for Robotics classes for kids (age 10 and above),
      Can someone please recommend any?

      thanks, Kavita
    • Steve Kozachik
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2010
        Kavita

        I've never seen a robotics class for kids, but there are lots of competitions.  Most seem to be aimed at older ages.

        I set up a very informal Rover Girls Robot Club for my niece and her friends, and have been following a loose progression of projects.  First was brush bots, lots of Instructables and Google videos on how.  Next was working as a team to build a Parallax BOE Bot, and program it to line follow.  Tons of info on that at parallax.com.

        Current project, interferred with by summer vacation schedules, is to hack a Thunder Tumbler (see Instructables for info) into a photovore.  I get the Thunder Tumblers at local thrift stores (without remote controls) for about $3.  You can order "refills" or "refresher kits" for BOE Bots from Parallax and get a good deal on sensors to turn them into photovores or phobes.

        Next step is planned to be arduino controllers to actually do a bit of programming on the Thunder Tumblers.  Lots of room "under the hood" on the toys.  You can get the chip and board, with bootloader, from Ebay.  Or get chips and program them separately.  Then use breadboards to mount them.

        If you have specific questions, we can go offline and exchange ideas via direct email.

        Steve K.

        I am looking for Robotics classes for kids (age 10 and above),
        Can someone please recommend any?

        thanks, Kavita

      • Dennis Clark
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 30, 2010
            check out your local schools and charter schools. In my area, Northern Colorado we have several schools that are offering LEGO Mindstorms "camps".  One that my son is going to uses the First LEGO League competitions from years past as it's base.

          DLC
          --
          Dennis Clark
          While traveling

          On Jun 30, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Steve Kozachik <steve_kozachik@...> wrote:

[...]

        • tec1122000
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 30, 2010
            I recommend the BASIC Stamp Boe-Bot at www.parallax.com for kid's robotics classes.

            There are better microcontrollers on the market than the BASIC Stamp, but the book that comes with the kit is very good. A student whith no previous experience in robotics can follow that book successfully. Then from there, I recommend the BASICX from www.basicx.com. It fits in the socket for the BASIC Stamp but it has much higher features as a microcontroller.

            --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Kavita Jain <kavitaj@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > I am looking for Robotics classes for kids (age 10 and above),
            > Can someone please recommend any?
            >
            > thanks, Kavita

          • Adeilton Oliveira

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1, 2010
                The BasicX while being a powerful microcontroller has a very steep learning curve which is made more difficult by the poor documentation (especially when compared to Parallax's documentation and Tech Help).

                If the objective is to study the BasicX controller then fine, use it, but if the objective is to study robotics and or introduce students to microcontroller control then stay well clear of BasicX.

                Parallax's Stamps are an ideal starting point.

                When students have pushed Parallax's BasicStamp to its limits then they may be ready to learn to use other 'more powerful' controllers. However in my experience these other conrollers have documentation which is far from adequate.

                David

                There are better microcontrollers on the market than the BASIC Stamp, but the book that comes with the kit is very good. A student whith no previous experience in robotics can follow that book successfully. Then from there, I recommend the BASICX from www.basicx.com. It fits in the socket for the BASIC Stamp but it has much higher features as a microcontroller.

                --- In SeattleRobotics@yahoogroups.com, Kavita Jain <kavitaj@...> wrote:

                > Hi
                >
                > I am looking for Robotics classes for kids (age 10 and above),
                > Can someone please recommend any?
                >
                > thanks, Kavita

              • Kevin Ross
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 1, 2010
                  Kavita,

                  Where are you located? The best bet for 10 yr olds is a LEGO based robotics camp. The other replys about Parallax controllers are likely to be way too advanced for 10 yr olds.

                  There are at least 3 or 4 in the area this summer.

                  Kevin